Newest Partner in My Woodworking Escapade...

Review by grub32 posted 1486 days ago 5522 views 2 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Newest Partner in My Woodworking Escapade... Newest Partner in My Woodworking Escapade... Newest Partner in My Woodworking Escapade... Click the pictures to enlarge them

Hi all…I recently added this to my new arsenal of woodworking machines. Begins with a post that I read either here or on another forum about the old days and using lay-a-way. I saw this saw go on sale at woodcraft for the 999 price and I was excited and sad at the same time. I knew that I needed to upgrade because I didn’t really have what I needed to do what I am now looking to do. So, I was in the local woodcraft having a chat with the owner and we started talking about the bandsaw and I was telling him how I would have liked to buy the saw but I couldn’t do anything about that pressing desire until I got tax money back.

Right then, he offered to hold me one until I had the money. I was stunned. HE put it aside and I waited for a month and half and then went and got the saw on Saturday. Thanks so much woodcraft…I would have not spent the 1300 for the saw but at 1000 I was all over it.

Now to the nuts and bolts of my review. So far, I put it together which was an absolute snap. The only thing that I didn’t like about this machine out of the box was the lack of info in the manual. Pretty worthless I must admit. I ordered some timberwolf blades b/c they didnt have any in stock.

Really, all you had to do was bolt on the table, fence and adjust the wheels. Took me about an hour. Another 45 mins to add another dedicated 220 breaker for the beast and I was off and running.

I don’t have a lot of experience with resawing so my pictures are of a novice resawing a piece of 3 in cherry just to try it out. It has a thickness of 3/64 and came out pretty good I think with the stock blade.

I did cut some curves and it went well….As most have said about these machines, the stock fence isn’t much but is adequate at best. I will upgrade to a kreg once I get some extra $$.

One negative is that this monster is a monster….very heavy…When you pick yours up, take a trailer and a friend…A strong friend. An appliance dolly is also helpful.

I will add more info once my new blades come in and start working on my chairs that I bough the thing for.

Grub

-- Science Teacher by Day, Wood Butcher by Night!!

View grub32's profile

grub32

View DragonLady's profile

DragonLady

oh, I’d love to have one! Been eyeing the deluxe 14” from Rikon, but I don’t think my old electrical would handle it :(

-- A woman's work is never done-but power tools help!

View Lenny's profile

Lenny

1202 posts in 2026 days

Gotta love those Rikons. Congrats on the new toy and best wishes with it. I am not surprised at what your Woodcraft manager did for you. They have some great folks running their stores.

-- On the eighth day God was back in His woodworking shop! Lenny, East Providence, RI

View Rick Boyett's profile

Rick Boyett

NICE! I would love one if I only had room for it.

View Chris 's profile

Chris

I had a friend who is in the process of becoming quite a good luthier give me gushing praise for this saw.. He re-saw’s his own stock for the guitars and absolutely loves this saw.

View CathyG's profile

CathyG

I bought this saw several years ago and THE BEST thing I did was buy a 3/4” Wood slicer re-saw blade for it. That blade slices through anything so smoothly it’s like slicing butter. I would highly recommend one!

-- Cathy, Illinois