Harbor Freight 60" Workbench

Review by JohnGreco posted 03-21-2010 04:42 PM 11114 views 0 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Harbor Freight 60" Workbench No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I saw this workbench on sale from Harbor Freight and figured at the price of $159, it was worth a shot.

Note- At the time of writing this, the bench is on sale further, costing just $129.

For the price I paid, I think it was pretty good, but for the even lower sale price you can’t go wrong. The top is Oak, about 1” thick with a thicker edge (so the edge you see in the picture isn’t the thickness of the entire table). It comes with an end vise (mounted to the right, you don’t get to choose which side it mounts to), 4 felt lined MDF drawers (each drawer is 21”w x 12 3/4”d x 3”h) and 1 MDF shelf. The legs appear to be Oak stained Pine, and the table top has 16 dog holes drilled for use with the 4 wooden pegs and 4 metal bench dogs.

Putting it together I had a few alignment issues with screws/bolts not lining up exactly, but nothing too bad. By myself it took about an hour and a half to put together, but mostly because I chose to use a hand held screwdriver assembling the drawers rather than my power drill. I just didn’t want to over tighten and ruin the drawer since the MDF is fairly thin.

The drawers ride on metal slides and are pretty smooth. A little too smooth for me, in fact. My shop is in my garage, and with the drawers facing the garage doors, vibrations from working on the bench have the drawers slowly opening from the slight down-grade pitch. If you have a similar set up, plan to either shim the legs or flip the bench with the drawers facing up-grade.

The bench has a 250 pound capacity, but I suspect you could reinforce it a bit and increase that limit.

The box was pretty beat up when it was delivered to me (via FedEx). I was expecting to have to call for several replacements, but the packing was really done well. Nothing inside was damaged at all.

Overall, you can’t go wrong for the price. I would have given it 5 stars if I didn’t feel the picture was misleading about the table top thickness.

View DragonLady's profile

DragonLady

#1 posted 03-21-2010 06:31 PM

the base looks a little skimpy for any heavy hand tool work. Have you tried planing on it? It looks like it would wobble like crazy.

But then, I’m biased. making my own workbench, and the legs are a massive 4.5×5 :)

-- A woman's work is never done-but power tools help!

View dustbunny's profile

dustbunny

1149 posts in 1948 days

#2 posted 03-21-2010 06:48 PM

I have this bench, the base is different than the one pictured. It is heavy and solid, there is NO wobble.
The only thing I do not like about the bench is the dog holes. The two top drawers are open underneath the holes which are through the top. The top drawers fill with saw dust and stuff that falls through the holes.
My intention is to have a dust tray under the top and above the drawers, pull out and sweep off.
Other than that this is a good work station, and I have contemplated getting another one.

Thanks for the review John.

Lisa

-- Imagination rules the world. ~ Napoleon Bonaparte ~ http://quiltedwood.com

#3 posted 03-21-2010 07:18 PM

It’s fairly sturdy, but a bit on the narrow side (only about 20” wide). It’s good for general purpose, I’d say more than just as a catch-all, though. I make toys and fiber tools, so it suits my needs well. Your mileage may vary :)

View velo_tom's profile

velo_tom

#4 posted 03-21-2010 07:36 PM

I bought this bench for $129. There was a coupon in a woodworking magazine that I used to get the special price. I bought the bench as a temporary till I build my permanent shop. I’ve done a fair amount of hand planing with it and initially had problems with is sliding on the floor. I bracketed it with concrete screws to the basement floor figuring I can patch them later if I move the table. The brackets hold the table quite stable now.

There are other minor problems with the bench such as the dog holes allowing dust into the drawers but I just put some duct tape underneath them to plug it up. Covered the adhesive so chips wouldn’t stick and vacuum them out when needed. The screws for assembling it we so cheep I was twisting off the heads by hand with a screwdriver so started using drywall screws instead.

It’s certainly not my dream bench but at least got me up and running at a low price so in general I’m quite glad I bought it.

-- There's no such thing as mistakes, just design changes.

#5 posted 03-21-2010 08:52 PM

I have the same bench for several years, and as with all other HF tools I have , I am happy with it.
On mine the drawers also open by themselves and the top cracked because I live in Utah and the weather is extremely dry, if I were living by the sea most likely I would not have had the problem.
Someday I shall build myslef a sturdier and heavier bench but for right now it help me to get by.

View WoodyWoodWrecker's profile

WoodyWoodWrecker

171 posts in 1904 days

#6 posted 03-21-2010 10:07 PM

Not being able to see the backs of the drawer spaces, would it be possible to use magnets to keep the drawers from opening? I ask this because I have considered on several occasions buying this.

-- You always have tomorrow to stop procrastinating.

#7 posted 03-22-2010 04:34 AM

I have been looking at this bench, was about to buy when the wife let me purchase a new floor TS. I do a fair amount of hand planing, scraping and sanding at times. I need a steady table and was hoping I could mount a vice to the front. Thanks for the reviews.

-- Norman

View ElmoSr's profile

ElmoSr

#8 posted 03-22-2010 01:51 PM

well i looked and studied and i bought,,now waiting for delivery

-- ElmoSr,Ga. Life is Hard by the Yard,,,But a Cinch by the Inch

#9 posted 03-22-2010 07:22 PM

After some phone issues of being disconnected (3x, once while the customer service rep was in mid-sentence) I was able to get the credit today for the difference. So at $129 the 60” bench is the same price as their 48” bench.

View ElmoSr's profile

ElmoSr

#10 posted 04-01-2010 03:29 PM

OK the bench arrived yesterday swet it up without difficulty, it will work ok, couldnt have built it for the 129$ i paid, not sure how i will address the dog holes going into the drawers, might just put another bottom on it, also i will have to put a stretcher across bottom shelf to keep rails from separating and shelf falling it is very sturdy but over all i am pleased.

-- ElmoSr,Ga. Life is Hard by the Yard,,,But a Cinch by the Inch

View lashing's profile

lashing

#11 posted 09-05-2010 02:15 AM

I bought two of these. They do wobble. The one in the store was rock solid. For this price though – its really unbeatable. I needed some bench space for multiple things on the go and while I could build a better, studier bench for less $ in material – the time it takes is another thing.