Handplane Basics - A Better Way to Use Bench Planes

Review by michaelray posted 1620 days ago 3816 views 2 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Handplane Basics - A Better Way to Use Bench Planes No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve written a review of the DVD Handplane Basics – A Better Way to Use Bench Planes by Christopher Schwarz. I highly recommend this if you are interested in learning more about bench planes and their use. My high rating is also based on my experience with the customer service at Popular Woodworking’s Woodworker’s Bookshop.

Check out my full review here on my personal blog.

As I post this (3/20/10) I noticed that it’s currently on sale. Not sure how long the sale will last but it’s worth owning if the subject matter appeals to you.

Thanks for looking.

Michael

196 posts in 2086 days

Thanks for the review, Michael. I have a great deal of respect for Chris’ abilities and knowledge of hand tools and their use. Having neglected to develope my hand skill techniques for me this looks like a DVD that would be a nice addition to anyones woodworking library who is interested in improving these time honored skills.

View Marc5's profile

Marc5

304 posts in 1974 days

This DVD is very well done. Schrawz explains and demonstrates how to use the essential planes as you go thru the processes taking rough cut lumber to a finished board. I found it interesting and helpful as I started leaning more towards hand tools. I would also rate this DVD very high.

-- Marc

View Millo's profile

Millo

Mr. Schwarz seems to have quite a few DVD”s on this topic. I assume by its tile and your recommendation the answer to my question will be a resounding “yes!”, but let me ask anyway: is this DVD recommendable over the others FOR BEGINNERS? Thanks!

View Marc5's profile

Marc5

304 posts in 1974 days

Yes – I would say it is for beginners or those with little hand plane experience.

-- Marc

Millo -

I’m not sure which DVDs for beginners you are referring to so I can’t honestly answer whether or not this is recommendable over any other DVD. Frankly this is the only Chris Schwarz DVD I own so I have nothing to compare it to.

-Michael

View Millo's profile

Millo

Hey Michael and everyone else,

Thanks for your reply! I’m sorry, I’ve been out-of-it when it comes to my old plans of getting into woodworking, getting back in gear after this weekend.

Anyway, last night I browsed around here and the web; the other DVD by Schwarz on the whole hand-plane topic was: “Building Furniture with Handplanes”. However, apparently “Coarse, Medium and Fine: Fundamental Woodworking Techniques” focuses on handplanes, as I came to gather from the reviews, even though on the DVD description it is suggested it’s a more general topic, tool-wise.

Does anyone have a recommendation on what to get first? To be honest I haven’t done any actual work/projects (will be two or three jigs for a circular saw this week), other than practice some joinery a few times with handtools (last “practice dovetail” actually worked, and have done 2 or 3 successful hand-cut dados, tried only one mortise&tenon which was pathetic, and on the 2nd try I destroyed on the of wood pieces so I gave up—all this just joints w/ scrap pieces, no projects…) but I own Stanley #5, #7 and low-angle block planes already. I have successfully sharpened/flattened my cheap Marples chisels, but have done absolutely NOTHING with the planes, except trying to flatten the sole of my CHEAP Stanley block plane; it was a nightmare and it still isn’t flat. I decided to stop trying until I got a nice vid on the general usage of planes that I could watch as I worked/set them up.

I also want to get that DVD on handsaw filing by Tom Law sold through Lee Valley and Lie-Nielsen sites (I’m sure other places, too). Since I still need to get a waterstone set, etc, and a bunch of other stuff, I’d like to keep DVD expenses to a minimum—so although I am sure all of Schwarz’s DVD’s on handplanes are a worthy investment, I wonder which one would be the most recommendable for me. At the moment I am leaning toward this one, although I guess it doesn’t cover block planes. I know Michael has not seen the others, but wondering if anyone else has any suggestions? Sorry to be so annoying!

View Boris 's profile

Boris

Hi Michael, yesterday I was asking for advice about this same DVD, can you tell me what’s the length of it
Thanks

112015 posts in 2209 days

Hey Boris,

The packaging indicates it’s 70+ minutes.

Michael