My New 'Favorite Plane'

Review by TheDane posted 03-19-2010 05:21 PM 3579 views 1 time favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
My New 'Favorite Plane' No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have a new favorite plane. OK … every one of my planes has been my favorite at one time or another, but my new Veritas Apron Plane is now at the top of my list.

A couple of technical details. The Veritas Apron Plane is a small, low-angle block plane that weighs in at about 14 ounces (much lighter than my Stanley 60 1/2). It is 5-1/2” long and 1-3/4” wide, and is made of ductile cast iron. I ordered mine with an A2 blade. The bed is set at 12-degrees, and the Norris-style blade depth and lateral adjustment mechanism is both easy and accurate.

When it arrived, I assumed I would have to spend some time fettling it, but the back of the blade was already flattened and polished to a mirror finish (thank you, Veritas!), and the blade was razor sharp. I still touched it up a bit, but it required only a few minutes from the time I opened the box until it took its first shaving.

I really like the performance I get from this plane. It is small, lightweight and so responsive it almost feels like the blade is connected to my hand.

It is also great on the shooting board. I have always used a Stanley No 5 on my shooting board, but was surprised at how well the Veritas Apron Plane handled squaring up end-grain.

I bought mine with the leather holster so it goes everyplace with me in the shop.

View TheDane's profile

TheDane

View SouthpawCA's profile

SouthpawCA

254 posts in 1958 days

#1 posted 03-19-2010 05:57 PM

Thanks for the review. I’ve been looking at getting either the Apron plane or the Low Angle Block plane. The ability to use on a shooting board is a must. I totally agree with you about the quality of Veritas planes. I was able to use my Low Angle Jack plane directly out of the box. I would also get the holster. I can see it now – the wife and I go out to dinner and there it would be, on my hip, just in case.

-- Don

View TheDane's profile

TheDane

#2 posted 03-19-2010 06:30 PM

Yup … you never know when you’re going to run into some unruly end-grain!

View Ecocandle's profile

Ecocandle

#3 posted 03-21-2010 09:00 AM

Very nice review. I have been considering this plane too and your review was helpful. Thanks.

SouthpawCA,

Your response made me chuckle. I think it is good that you would carry it with you ‘in case’ and emergency woodworking issue should arrive.

Brian

-- Brian Meeks, http://extremelyaverage.com

View JerryS's profile

JerryS

#4 posted 03-21-2010 11:03 PM

Excellent review , thanks for taking the time to put it together . I too recently purchased this plane and love it . Like all the other LV planes and items I own form them this purchase wasn’t a disappointment . LV does all the hard work of flattening and sharpening the blades, these babies are ready to go out of the box .

View woodworm's profile

woodworm

#5 posted 03-22-2010 02:09 PM

I have one, and it is in the tool cabinet most of the time – it’s too beautiful to stay outside.

-- masrol, kuala lumpur, MY.