Great new spray gun

Review by sawblade1 posted 03-18-2010 06:20 AM 4126 views 5 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great new spray gun No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Last week I received my new spray gun from woodcraft and was very pleased with the quality out of the box it had a good weight to it but not to heavy, it came with a cleaning kit, extra filters, and all accessories for adjusting and removing nozzles and tips from the gun. But where this gun excelled at was at spraying after testing with water I decided to try spraying a water based clear cote to my surprise no cloud of over spray like you get with other HVLP guns and very little and do I mean very little over spray on the cardboard in my shop also all of the controls are easy to adjust and located in very friendly places to woodworkers delight I am very pleased with this gun I received and look forward to many years service out of it I would also recommend purchasing the 2mm spay nozzle and tip it comes in handy for spraying paints and heavier coatings.

-- Proverbs Ch:3 vs 5,6,7 Trust in the lord with all thine heart and lean not unto your own understanding but in all your ways aknowledge him and he shall direct your path elmerthomas81@neo.rr.com

View bunkie's profile

bunkie

#1 posted 03-18-2010 01:26 PM

Sawblade1,

Thanks for the review. What size compressor are you driving it with?

-- Altruism is, ultimately, self-serving

View JKC's profile

JKC

23 posts in 1915 days

#2 posted 03-18-2010 04:42 PM

Thanks for reviewing this spray gun.

Yes, what size of a compressor are you using to drive this gun? It’s real horsepower and CFM (or SCFM) are the numbers I would like to know.

Thanks

#3 posted 03-18-2010 05:33 PM

Thank you for your post.
I am using a small twin tank harbor freight air compressor unfortunately the compressor stays running all the time due to the small tank on my compressor:(
However the drop in CFM is not enough to worry about, my compressor drives it with no additional problems a quicker solution to smaller compressors like mine are to add a auxiliary tank to the outbound side to act as a buffer tank if you do a lot of spraying or air nailing:)
I learned this trick while working in maintenance unfortunately I have yet to do it to mine just remember to make the auxiliary tanks pressure rating higher than your compressor can ever pump up!!!!!!!

View Todd A. Clippinger's profile

Todd A. Clippinger

#4 posted 03-18-2010 05:46 PM

I have a Porter Cable spray gun that looks quite similar and it does a nice job.

It was labeled as an HVLP and although it is not a true HVLP it puts out less overspray than other gravity feed guns.

Have fun finishing!

-- Todd A. Clippinger, Montana, http://americancraftsmanworkshop.com

View Robert Herring's profile

Robert Herring

38 posts in 2067 days

#5 posted 03-18-2010 05:58 PM

Great review!. At what pressures are you spraying(compressor wise and gun)?

Thanks,

-- Robert M. Herring

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

#6 posted 03-18-2010 07:43 PM

Good review thanks. I have been looking at the PC gun that Todd mentioned….i thought it would be a great Pseudo HVLP gun for us guys that can afford a real HVLP setup. Whats the price of this Woodriver gun? I know the PC is under $100.

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

#7 posted 03-18-2010 09:27 PM

Thanks for your Questions.
The gun is self regulating so running my compressor a 120 psi is normal you adjust the amount of air going in at the bottom of the gun.

as for price it was 34.99+ S+H the 2mm tip is 10.99+ S+H it was a great deal for the quality of this gun

View TainoWorks's profile

TainoWorks

#8 posted 03-19-2010 01:34 PM

Awsome, I was looking for a gun to rets my hands. Great review.

-- Artesano

View SteveMcc's profile

SteveMcc

#9 posted 03-19-2010 05:23 PM

I read your review yesterday and went ahead and ordered the gun from Woodcrafters. I also ordered the small gun and the bigger needle/nozzle kits, all for under a hundred dollars plus free shipping this week.
Even if it doesn’t spray latex like I want it to, there are plenty of other uses for it and it just seemed like a good deal price wise.
Thanks,
Steve

-- Steve, Fayetteville, Ga.

View Holz_und_Geschichte41's profile

Holz_und_Geschichte41

#10 posted 07-09-2010 08:53 PM

After reading your review for this product I ordered it online. My timing was good for it was on sale for about $20-$25 and the 2” piece and related accessories a mere $10 more. I used it on my cedar chest project and it work flawlessly. I was surprised at the ease of use, the evenness of spray, and how simple it was to clean it. I would recommend this to anyone looking to move into HVLP finishing. Thank you for the good review. It truely is a quality product at a very reasonable price.

-- Ryan, Arizona