Build Maloof Inspired Furniture

Review by Todd A. Clippinger posted 1576 days ago 5628 views 3 times favorited 17 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Build Maloof Inspired Furniture Build Maloof Inspired Furniture Build Maloof Inspired Furniture Click the pictures to enlarge them

Instructional DVD’s

Did you ever dream of building a rocking chair inspired by Sam Maloof? Or looking to build other furniture that carries the sensual and sculpted designs famously inspired by him?

Scott Morrison, a successful furniture maker and designer in his own right, has released instructional DVD’s sharing the knowledge and techniques for making this style of furniture in your own shop.

I just finished viewing the instructional DVD’s for two pieces of furniture. Scott recently sent me the DVD titles “Building an Elegant Rocking Chair” and “Building a Contemporary Barstool.” I also received the templates for the Contemporary Bar Stool.

If his name sounds familiar, you may have seen Scott’s work or an article covering him in a woodworking publication. His work has been published in Fine Woodworking, WoodWork, and he appeared in the February 2010 Woodworker’s Journal for a butterfly joint that he developed. His work has also appeared in other magazines covering home furnishings and style. To see more you can visit his site Finewoodworker.com.

The Guidelines

As I viewed the DVD’s I had to think about what I am really looking for. What makes an instructional DVD good or bad?

The first two things that people notice when watching a video is if the light or sound is bad. I don’t believe that the viewer is expecting Hollywood studio quality in these categories, but the light and sound should be reasonably good allowing us to adequately see the demonstration and hear the instruction.

Next, the quality of the content is measured. Does the presenter have good content and is it efficiently shared with the viewer? Or does the presenter ramble off on irrelevant tangents?

Also, is the instruction presented in a logical and comprehensive manner? The information may all be available in the video, but the presentation may be so poorly laid out that it leaves the viewer confused and unable to assemble the blocks of broken information into something sensible.

The Verdict

The videos are professionally burned and packaged. This insures quality and compatibility with various DVD players, especially old ones that won’t play DVD’s burned on the computer (we recently retired one of those.)

The discs had chapters and I checked them, they all functioned as they should. The chapters were especially important for the rocking chair, a quick look and confidence was immediately instilled by seeing all of the titles. This was a quick outline and indicator of the information held within.

I watched all of the videos and I found them to be of good quality and very interesting. The videos captured my attention from beginning to end and they were very comprehensive.

Scott’s delivery of the information is very friendly and logical. It feels like he is giving you a personal lesson in his shop and he gives you the confidence to successfully complete these otherwise intimidating projects.

The quality of the content was great in both videos. Scott lays everything out logically, communicates well, and stays focused. These all add up to a clear delivery for the volumes of information that he shares.

The videos are shot in Scott Morrison’s own shop with both tripod and hand held shots. The lighting and sound are good. I could always see the action and hear the instruction. I had forgot what it was like to watch a video on TV compared to online – it is so sharp.

The visual information that he shares is of tremendous importance for projects like these and he was not stingy with it. Ever notice how the TV shows can’t give enough detail information because they have a specific amount of time to fill? Scott was not bound by time constraints. That means he was able to take the time to share all of the details, knowledge, and techniques necessary to insure your success.

The video was rich with visual information. He explains what he is going to do, why he is going to do it, and then he gives plenty of video footage for the viewer to see how it is done. With the grinding process this is important. The viewer gleans much information on how to grind by watching the nuances of Scott’s movements and actions. I think this provides a tremendous value to the viewer.

I think that a great value to add to all of this is Scott’s support. I know of one woodworker that purchased the video and templates to “Build A Simple Rocking Chair” and he was very happy with the support that he received from Scott. So rest assured, if you have a question, you will get an answer.

A Word On Templates

My simple suggestion concerning the templates is BUY THEM. Purchasing the templates will make life so much easier. I have designed enough of my own furniture to know the value of buying a template.

The templates are printed to full scale and include printed instructions on the paper. There is also a “bonus” section on each set of the DVD’s that gives instruction on making and using the templates. Jig construction and usage are also covered in this section as well.

Demystified

Scott’s instructional DVD’s will demystify the construction of Maloof inspired furniture. Scott also teaches how to make more than just a rocking chair, to see what else he has to offer you can visit Finewoodworker.com.

Limited Time Discount

As I was getting ready to post the review, a thought occurred to me to see if I could get a discount for the readers.

I emailed Scott and he shot back with an offer of 15% off any of the instructional DVD’s, templates, and even the new butterfly joint kit which is just wrapping up production.

The 15% discount applies until the end of March 2010 so at the time of this post there is only 2 weeks to save.

UPDATE ON DISCOUNT

Scott Morrison informed me that the PayPal discount field was experiencing some problems. To get the 15% discount at this time, the buyer will have to pay the full price upfront, but just email him with the information of the transaction and the “Captain Clippinger” special (it’s because I asked:) and he will refund the discount back to you right away.

I can vouch for Scott answering his emails pretty regularly because whenever I have had a question for him, I received a response within a couple of hours.

I hope that this clears up any confusing situations that may have occurred. It is a great opportunity to get 15% off instruction and support to build some beautiful pieces of furniture and it only runs to the end of the month.

I hope you get a chance to jump on the savings!

Share the Love~Share the Discount

View Rick Boyett's profile

Rick Boyett

I wonder how well this compares with Hal Taylor’s videos and plans.

Todd A. Clippinger

Rick – I can only speak for the videos and templates that I have seen. I have not seen plans or videos offered by anyone else at this time.

Thanks 3fingerpat.

This might not have come to mind for me except that we recently had to get a new DVD player and one of the bonuses was that it would play DVD’s burned in my computer.

View Splinters's profile

Splinters

Great review Todd! Being in the process of completing Scott’s simple rocker I agree totally with your read of the dvd’s and templates. http://splinterswoodworks.blogspot.com/2010/02/scott-morrison-inspired-custom-rocking_23.html

I will be doing a blog post here when the rocker is finished…

-- Splinters - Living and Loving life in the Rockies - http://www.splinterswoodworks.com/ - http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5220040

Todd A. Clippinger

Splinters – I am looking forward to your final post. I have been following the progress at your site and the chair looks great.

View GHaugen's profile

GHaugen

I had the pleasure of meeting Scott and his wife in St. Paul, MN. last spring when they exhibited at the American Craft Council show. His work is absolutely stunning! He’s also one of the nicest guys around. I’d highly recommend anything that he’s involved with-it will be top notch.

-- Greg H.-Chaseburg, WI. www.greghaugenwoodturning.com

Todd A. Clippinger

Greg – It is great to hear you had a chance to meet him and see his work first hand. Scott is genuinely a great guy.

His work is amazing. Did you get to see that incredible Rocker Cradle?

One of the things that impresses me so much is that he has taken the sculpted look to so many other pieces of furniture. He has a great portfolio.

View CaptainSkully's profile

CaptainSkully

I will say that these chairs you guys build blow me away. They are my favorite projects to watch here on LJ, even though I’m not personally interested in building one (yet). They almost look like something H.R. Giger would’ve designed.

One thing I had a question about is how does everybody legally jump on the Maloof bandwagon? I must’ve seen half a dozen people cranking out videos and plans for what seems to me a proprietary design. There have been discussions on the Forum about when you can legally sell something based on someone else’s design. Does Mrs. Maloof get a cut?

BTW Todd, phenomenal review.

-- You can't control the wind, but you can trim your sails

Captain Skully-

Scott gets asked that all of the time and I asked him myself. I will relay what was shared with me in a nutshell.

Scott was one of the lucky guys that got to spend some real time learning from Sam Maloof. Sam knew exactly what Scott was planning on doing and he gave him his blessing with the stipulation that Scott had to give Sam credit. That is why you will see his work as Maloof inspired.

I was thinking that I should get with Scott and do an interview so we can hear his story. He had a great ongoing relationship with Sam Maloof and he has done well building and selling his furniture to make a living. He is not just a woodworker, he is a business man and that is what makes him successful.

He not only built the rocker, but he has designed and built many other pieces on his own. He is very creative in many ways and I am not sure that he ever sleeps.

Todd A. Clippinger

Another thought on Scott Morrison.

I think that Scott’s work and his generosity both honor the spirit of Sam Maloof.

And I think that Sam Maloof would be more concerned with Scott’s character than his work.

View dakremer's profile

dakremer

the guy above (Seane360) is a SPAMMER...do NOT click on his link

-- Hey you dang woodchucks, quit chucking my wood!!!!

Todd A. Clippinger

Thanks for the heads up dakremer!

Actually looks like MattODoors is a spammer too.

View MidgardWarrior's profile

MidgardWarrior

Hi Todd,

Thanks for the wonderful review. I want to buy both the DVD’s (I’m just saving up). I wondered about the quality, but thanks to you I have no worries and get it as soon as I can. That Sculpted Cradle is also wonderful.

Rian, South Africa

-- Rian Meier - George, South Africa

Rian,

An added value is the support that Scott will give you. He is very generous with information and help if you need it.

View lighthearted's profile

lighthearted

I am curious how this compares to the Charles Brock DVD set—anyone know?

-- Chris http://thelightheartedwoodworker.com/