Outstanding Jointer

Review by Troy posted 1595 days ago 4066 views 2 times favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Outstanding Jointer No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Got this last week. Arrived in perfect condition, the base in its own box and the upper part in a birch plywood crate. No issues at all with assembly. Used the recommended plug and fired it up. Had to call to find out what the belt deflection was supposed to be cause the manual was a bit older.
This thing is a beast. My first use of the machine resulted in a rather pleasant result. I face jointed/planed a 8” wide board of ash which was not flat at all. I fed it through the helical cutter head and when I went to pull it off of the outfeed table, it was stuck; (not kidding). Turns out the table is perfectly flat and smooth and the cut was so awesome that it created a bit of a vacuum as a result of the fine cut. Don’t know what else I can say, but the results speak for themselves. The longer infeed table is just wonderful. All adjustments are fairly easy. The moving parts are all extra beefy and smooth. Going from this, to my 15” Grizzly planer to my 22-44 oscillating drum sander produces the flattest, most perfect boards I ever prepared; all with ease and speed. ~Life is Good~ Thanks for reading.

-- Troy Bouffard || Master Sergeant, US Army (Retired) || http://www.birchhillwoodcrafts.com

View Rasta's profile

Rasta

120 posts in 2043 days

I’m looking to upgrade to an 8 inch jointer, what kind of price tag came with this?

-- Roscoe in Iowa

View Marc5's profile

Marc5

304 posts in 1943 days

I have a 6” Grizzly jointer and wish I had bitten the bullet and got the 8. Live and learn. Congrats!

-- Marc

View rockom's profile

rockom

I friend of mine (handplane) has an 8” Grizzly with the spiral head from several years ago. I used it a couple weeks ago. I put two boards face to face after jointing and they stuck together. I was amazed. I’m envious of both of you. It’s hard to buy anything less after using one of these machines. It’s also hard to pay more for a ‘yellow’ or ‘white’ brand.

I’m curious Troy, does your tag on the front of the machine say made in Taiwan or made in China?

Thanks,
-Rocko

-- -> Malta, IL -<

Says “China”

View Xtreme90's profile

Xtreme90

troy congrats on your knew grizz jointer. i own a grizzly jointer too and just love it!!!

-- "I don't cut wood. I machine it!" G.M. The wood machinest

View Jim Bertelson's profile

Jim Bertelson

gad Zooks, you guys are in the big time. Nice looking machine…............

-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

Congrats..thats the exact jointer i want to buy…if I ever save up enough change!

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

View rockom's profile

rockom

Grizzly tools is why I started getting in on the lottery pool at work…..

-- -> Malta, IL -<

Troy, this is a nice review and you certainly added a quality tool to your shop. I have a great deal of respect for both Grizzly’s tools and their customer service.

View Todd A. Clippinger's profile

Todd A. Clippinger

Nice unit!

I think Xtreme90 is just showing off…and I’m jealous!

-- Todd A. Clippinger, Montana, http://americancraftsmanworkshop.com

View WistysWoodWorkingWonders's profile

WistysWoodWorkingWonders

11908 posts in 1757 days

nice toy… looks great…

-- New Project = New Tool... it's just the way it is, don't fight it... :)

View michaelray's profile

michaelray

195 posts in 2055 days

Thanks for the review Troy. I plan on purchasing a jointer as my next major power tool purchase and an 8” Grizzly is at the top of my list.

-- http://dbcww.wordpress.com

View Roger's profile

Thanks for the review. I’d like to upgrade to an 8” jointer some day. Being on a fixed income, it’s harder to get the “extras”. Have a good time with that new toy

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View sillac's profile

sillac

Great review, you have had the tool for some time now, have you changed out the blades yet? How do they wear? Are they easy to change? Any info would greatly be appreciated. Thanks for sharing, Steve in Oregon

-- Steve in Oregon,