Decent benchtop jointer

Review by Bryan_M posted 03-12-2010 07:26 AM 8705 views 2 times favorited 22 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Decent benchtop jointer Decent benchtop jointer Decent benchtop jointer Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve been needed a jointer but I work out of my garage and don’t have anymore room for bigger tools. I read good reviews about other bench top jointers and read that Geetech actually manufactured most of them. I was unable to find any of the others (Craftsman, Sunhill, etc) and found that Woodworkers supply has these Geetech jointers in stock. I think I paid around $150 after shipping. It was delivered quickly and packaged very nicely in thick foam.

It is a little heavy to get out of the box as the tables are cast iron. I’ve never used a jointer before but found this one very easy to assemble and set up. The instructions were printed clearly with nice pictures and in real English. The machine was built much better than I was expecting. Precise and sturdy. I really didn’t have to do much other than bolt on the fence mechanism and fence and square it up. The fence is aluminum but thick and seems sturdy enough. There is a lot of adjustability with the fence mechanism. The blades were set correctly and the tables co-planer right out of the box. I was not expecting this.

So far I’ve only jointed some mahogany, walnut, and maple for a guitar I’m building and this thing pulled it off very nicely. Leaves a very smooth surface, like when I use my hand planer. I got a flat and perfect 90 deg which I needed to make the mahogany body blank.

The only “issue” I’ve had is that the blades might not be that strong. I noticed a little ridge formed about halfway through my jointing meaning there is a tiny nick in the blades already. Not a huge deal yet as I can just move the fence over past the nick. Luckily it is only 1/2” or so from the back side of the blade so I still have over 5” of usable blade surface.

Don’t know how long it will last but it does seem of a higher quality than I’m used to seeing from Asian made power tools like this at this price.

View Russ's profile

Russ

#1 posted 03-12-2010 08:06 AM

It’s great to find a review of this product. I was able to find information on other Geetech units but not this one. Thank you for taking the time to share.

-- Russ

View DrewM's profile

DrewM

#2 posted 03-12-2010 05:35 PM

Thanks for the great review. How well do you think it would handle longer pieces of stock, say at most 60” long?

-- Drew, Delaware

View AaronK's profile

AaronK

#3 posted 03-12-2010 05:55 PM

this looks much better than the HF jointer with aluminum tables. I also wonder how these small ones handle longer pieces… can someone chime in?

#4 posted 03-12-2010 05:58 PM

I looked at the Harbor Freight jointers before buying this… The Geetech (at least my sample) is on a whole other level of quality. Night and day difference.

As far as length of wood stock, I’ve only jointed pieces less than 30” so far.

View bigike's profile

bigike

4031 posts in 1940 days

#5 posted 03-12-2010 06:31 PM

i have the same jointer but it’s from sunhill machines and it works great the replacement blades are cheap. i had it for about four years now and i was gonna sell it but changed my mind cuz it works real good even better with a planer, these tools work good together anyway. This is a very good jointer for a cheap price i paid about $100 for mine on sale.

-- Ike, Big Daddies Woodshop, http://www.icombadaniels@yahoo.com

View AaronK's profile

AaronK

#6 posted 03-12-2010 07:12 PM

where are you guys finding these on sale and buying them? seems like i cant fidn a source anywhere.

View Thomas Keefe's profile

Thomas Keefe

131 posts in 2060 days

#7 posted 03-12-2010 07:20 PM

Nice review. Regarding the nick in the blade. You can slide one of the blades over a little bit and the other
blade (the one that is not nicked) will clean up the ridge. It may require readjusting your blades.

Tom

View rwyoung's profile

rwyoung

#8 posted 03-12-2010 07:47 PM

This was previously available through Sunhill Machinery as their house branded unit. I have one and it has been a great little benchtop jointer.

-- Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Beginningwoodworker

#9 posted 03-12-2010 08:00 PM

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker

#10 posted 03-12-2010 09:57 PM

I have the one sold by Sunhill. Same exact unit with Sunhill’s sticker. They quit selling them in 2009. I think Woodworkers Supply has them now. I got mine on clearance from Sunhill for $99.00 and would have gladly paid what the little Delta Benchtop goes for. MUCH better tables, fence etc…

I have (carefully) edge jointed stock up to 8’ long (cedar 4×4s) with no problem, using a 48” aluminum straight edge to verify, it was dead straight the whole way…. That was NOT a comfortable feeling though. I used additional infeed / outfeed support in the way of adjustable support stands to get those results. I am not likely to do that too often though. For the overwhelming majority of my project stock though, a 48” face / edge joint is not unreasonable with this machine. Most folks say to keep it under 36”, I have not found that to be a problem though… Again, additional support is the key…

The cuts coming off the knifes are baby bottom smooth and clean, the machine removes more material in one pass than a bench top jointer has any right to…

These jointers are few and far between (bad) which is a shame. They are such a good jointer, especially for those with a small shop, that they are often overlooked for floor model jointers. I have been tempted to upgrade, but I just can’t justify the floor space a floor model would take up…

Yes I too looked at the HF bench top jointer. And while I am no tool snob, and own quite a bit of HF equipment, the bench top jointers they sell are, well they didn’t earn a spot in my shop…

If you can find one, and are debating between this and say the Grizzly, Delta, or Craftsman benchtop jointers, I can say from personal experience that the Geetech is a great jointer, and much more solid machine than the other models I have seen…

My only complaint, and it is to be expected with a bench top model, is that it is loud… The motor and cutter head are in a plastic housing, doesn’t do much to absorb noise…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

#11 posted 03-12-2010 11:46 PM

I found the jointer on Woodworkers Supply website.

NOTE: I have never used this company, and I do NOT endorse them, nor do I suggest avoiding them. I do not know anything about them beyond what I see on their web site! Do your due dilligence!

I DID pull up the BBB report on the website, and company, and they are BBB accredited with an A+ rating.

If any other LJs have used this company, please chime in and tell us about your experiences!

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View nmkidd's profile

nmkidd

#12 posted 03-13-2010 01:50 AM

db: I have used woodworkers supply on numerous occasions…......they have knowledgeable people and good products…......and they stand behind their products….........never had a problem with them. Also….fortunate to have one of their stores within an 80 miles.

-- Doug, New Mexico.......the only stupid question is one that is never asked!........don't fix it, if it ain't broke!

#13 posted 03-13-2010 05:37 AM

I forgot to mention that I don’t think this jointer is too loud by itself but when you hook it up to a dust collector the volume goes up quite a bit. Sounds like the blades are chopping through the air or something. Not unreasonably loud by any means but still up there. Quieter than a shopvac.

View nordichomey's profile

nordichomey

#14 posted 03-13-2010 05:40 AM

Great post and insight. I need a jointer but am short on space. Maybe this is my solution!

Loud… it will go well with my Dewalt thickness planner!

-- nordichomey

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

#15 posted 03-13-2010 05:54 AM

nicks are common problem with most stock blades that come with jointers. once you use those up. get something like Freud or globaltooling.

-- Router รจ ancora il mio nome.