10 piece Router Template Guide Set

Review by Dick, & Barb Cain posted 03-11-2010 03:46 PM 5963 views 3 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
10 piece Router Template Guide Set No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have had this set for quite a few years now, & I highly recommend this set.

It comes with an adapter, so if you want to make your own router plate, or table,

it will be 100% accurate if installed correctly.

The fine threaded nut makes for easy hand tightening, & I’ve never had them come loose.

Fits any router that accepts standard 1-3/16” OD threaded guide bushing

Machined solid brass construction

Includes 7 template guides: 1/4” ID x 5/16” OD; 9/32” ID x 3/8” OD; 11/32” ID x 7/16” OD; 13/32” ID x 1/2” OD; 17/32” ID x 5/8” OD; 21/32” ID x 3/4” OD and 5/8” ID x 51/64” OD Plus 2 lock nuts and adapter
1.25 mm threads

20 threads per inch

ITEM 95160-2VGA

$19.99

View Woodwrecker's profile

Woodwrecker

#1 posted 03-11-2010 03:58 PM

Thanks for the tip Dick. That’s something I can actually afford!

-- Eric, central Florida

#2 posted 03-11-2010 04:41 PM

Thanks Dick: I have that set also, I question the length of some of the adapters and have hads to grind some of mine a little shorter because the template was not as thick as the guide was designed for.

Overall a great set.

-- I've been blessed with a father who liked to tinker in wood, and a wife who lets me tinker in wood. Southern Delaware soon moving to Virginia karsonwm@gmail.com †

#3 posted 03-11-2010 04:57 PM

You’re welcome Eric.
I think I only paid about $12.99, it was so long ago.<(;O}#

Karson,

I had to shorten up some of mine also for the application I needed them for.

View Tony's profile

Tony

#4 posted 03-11-2010 06:50 PM

$19.99 for this set sounds pretty good – just wish we had a HF or that they would ship internationally. – thanks for posting the information

-- Tony - All things are possible, just some things are more difficult than others! - SKYPE: Heron2005 (http://www.poydatjatuolit.fi)

View rwyoung's profile

rwyoung

#5 posted 03-11-2010 06:54 PM

+1 on this set, especially when it goes on sale or you have a 20% off coupon. Having more than one set is a good idea because you can grind down the length as Karson suggested and have a lot of choices when you need a bushing.

The one thing missing from the kit is a centering cone but those are pretty easy to make or you can use a dovetail bit as a makeshift centering cone.

-- Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

#6 posted 03-12-2010 01:04 AM

Tony,
It’s a pretty good deal isn’t it?

rwyoung,
I’ve been thinking of getting another set.

View TemplateTom's profile

TemplateTom

#7 posted 03-12-2010 01:44 AM

One of the problems I have with not only this set but other makes as well; the largest guide will limit the number of cutters that can be used. Most people would use the guides with a straight cutter inserted; where most of the cutters I wish to use are Face/Edge cutters and one in particular was 32mm wide, where the majoriiy are 25mm wide
Tom

-- Getting more from my router with the aid of Template Guides Selection of Projects listed on You -Tube "Routing with Tom O'Donnell"

View bigike's profile

bigike

#8 posted 03-12-2010 02:18 AM

i need one of these thanks for the review

-- Ike, Big Daddies Woodshop, http://www.icombadaniels@yahoo.com

View bake's profile

bake

#9 posted 03-14-2010 04:19 AM

I bought one to use with my dovetail jig. It worked great, seems like a good addition to any router.

-- I love the smell of Home Depot in the morning, it smells like.......carpentry. Bake, Bar Lazy U Woodworks, Lehi,UT.

View Abbott's profile

Abbott

#10 posted 03-14-2010 05:42 AM

Ya, I also like this kit.

View Broglea's profile

Broglea

#11 posted 04-27-2010 04:36 AM

Got them for Christmas. Love them.

View Pinkylabmouse's profile

Pinkylabmouse

#12 posted 05-31-2016 07:52 PM

I am having a problem concerning the Harbor Freight template guides, or my ineptness, I suspect it is my ineptness.
Never having used a Router before, I purchased the HB guide set and installed. I did use a centering pin and everything looked copacetic. (Copacetic? I’ve been working around navy guys for too long.)
Anyway, I had a 3/4” plywood pattern and was cutting 3/4” plywood (Bases for a Paulk Miter Say station, see Youtube). I cut a couple of the large bases and then the router bit ate the template guide. The ring that holds the template guide was loose. Was the ring loose because the bit ate the template guide or did the ring come loose and cause the bit to eat the guide? I don’t know.
I went back to HB and bought a 2nd set of guides. This time I centered the guide and torqued the ring that holds the guide in place to “Tim the Tool Man specifications”. Within 12 inches of routing the bit ate another guide.
Is it possible that I didn’t have the bit deep enough in the collet and the bit deflected enough to grab the guide?
The bit is a 1/2” shank with 1-1/2” cutting surface, which is also 1/2” in diameter.