Worx WT321K: Budget Friendly, High Quality Circular Saw

Review by dfdye posted 03-10-2010 08:59 AM 6902 views 0 times favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Worx WT321K:  Budget Friendly, High Quality Circular Saw Worx WT321K:  Budget Friendly, High Quality Circular Saw No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Unfortunately, I always run the risk of walking out of my local Woodcraft with more than I intended to. Such was the case this weekend when I went in for a plane blade and a set of cabinet scrapers and walked out with a new circular saw as well. Though I can’t deny that this was an impulse buy, I have been looking for a premium circular saw to replace my junk Skill saw, though most of the saws I was considering were in the $125-$160 range.

This Worx “revolver” saw was on clearance for $70, half of what it originally retailed for, and since I hadn’t found anything decent within $50 of that, (other than a Hitachi that was ~$90), I figured for the price I would be willing to take a chance. Normally, I would want to give a saw more than an evenings worth of use before writing a review of it, but after looking around online, it seems as if many places are listing this saw as on clearance, so you may need to move quickly to get one. Since I was very impressed with the saw (especially for the price!) I didn’t want to wait too long to share my thoughts in case this saw isn’t available for too much longer.

So, with that introduction, here are my opinions of the Worx Revolver circular saw:

Put simply, this is the best saw for $70 I have ever seen! It is comparable in build quality to the nice Porter Cable, Bosch, and Delta circular saws (three that I was very closely considering buying), with dual bevel angle locking nuts to keep the saw where you want it, a good depth adjustment indicator gauge, and a good general “feel.” I’m not really sure how to describe it, but I am guessing most of you can tell a “good” tool from an “OK” tool just by the way it feels in your hands—this “feels” like a solid tool.

The base was a big draw for me—it has a nice 90 degree adjustment set screw, a well defined edge for cutting along a guide, a rip guide slot (and an included rip guide, which is not anything special), and a slot along the left of the base for what I assume to be a guide rail system. I am sure you can look this up.

The “gizmo” part of this saw, the ability to rotate the handle during a cut, didn’t do anything for me at all. I practiced making a cut with the pivot of the motor, and I didn’t feel like I was completely in control of the plane. Fortunately, there is a solid locking screw that allows the saw to work as a standard “fixed” circular saw. The benefit of the pivot feature for me was that I could adjust the handle position before a cut to compensate for the angle of the saw based on different depth of cut settings. I hate that if I make a shallow cut with a standard circular saw, my hand is out of position relative to how I would make a through cut in a 2X.. To me, the pivot feature easily allows me to get my hands in the most comfortable cutting position prior to making a cut.

The saw is everything you would want out of a premium saw—good materials, lots of power, and comfortable to work with. The only “non-premium” part of this saw is its current bargain price. Thus I give it a 5/5 for price/performance. If the saw was $140, I would be disappointed with the lack of am included dust collection adapter, and would definitely take a star off.

So, long story short, I have not seen another saw come close to this quality for the price. I would highly recommend this saw if you need one.

(PS yes, I did take the pictures just before I used it for the first time today, thus the lack of dust. The wood that the saw is sitting on is the beginnings of my new workbench just before I cut the MDF in half.)

View charlie48's profile

charlie48

#1 posted 03-10-2010 02:04 PM

David, Thanks for the review !! I’m in the market for a circular saw and hadn’t thought of a Worx, I will look at them.

-- Charlie............Only time will tell if it was time well spent.

View 308Gap's profile

308Gap

#2 posted 03-10-2010 08:34 PM

I pawed it also , I wonder why they dont list it anymore. It felt COOL. anyone know where worx comes from?

-- Thank You Veterans!

View oldcans's profile

oldcans

#3 posted 03-11-2010 02:45 AM

I purchased one of these saws last summer just to do a job for a friend while I was on vacation. Like you, I found it on clearance for $49.95 and could not pass it up. I’ve been cutting a lot of countertops and MDF with it and I am really impressed with its power and the way it feels . I think it rivals any screw drive saw that I have ever used. Have fun with it and keep on cuttin.

-- Dan, quartersawn oak = oak with stretch marks

View araldite's profile

araldite

187 posts in 2092 days

#4 posted 03-11-2010 03:19 AM

I think it’s a Chinese company.

View PhineasWhipsnake's profile

PhineasWhipsnake

#5 posted 03-11-2010 03:42 AM

ALL companies are Chinese companies nowadays. Except Festool…

-- Gene T

#6 posted 03-11-2010 04:42 AM

Dan, I haven’t used a worm drive (call me a luddite), but yea, I am really impressed by the Worx’s power! It blew threw 3/4” MDF with almost no resistance, and the scrap 2×8s that I had lying around were similarly easy to cut. The Worx feeks as good as any ~$150 Dewalt or Porter Cable I have tried (not that I would try and make a detailed comparison unless I had all of them side by side), and a HUGE upgrade over my old Skill saw. Also, the blade that comes with is pretty nice for regular work, I would get a 40 tooth blade for finer cross cuts, but the stock blade was great for breaking down sheets of MDF (which I what I mainly used it for the first time around)

Good to hear yours has held up well, and that your opinion of the saw has stayed so positive.

Weird, though, that it has been on “clearance” for so long. I wonder if Worx just made so many of them overestimating demand that they are trying to dump a bunch of stock, and that there are actually still a bunch of them in a warehouse somewhere. Odd. . . .

View Hyperhutch's profile

Hyperhutch

63 posts in 1937 days

#7 posted 03-12-2010 02:45 AM

I think the “clearance” issue is due partly to its not-so-great review in Popular Mechanics, and the fact that it has no name recognition. I work at a Woodcraft store, and when they arrived the first thing I thought was “What the heck is Worx?” I had never heard of the company before.

But after selling a ton of them, I decided to bite the bullet and get one. They certainly feel good in your hand, and have good power. One thing I noticed was the short guard lever. I find I am frequently lifting the guard manually for ‘shaving’ cuts, and cuts near edges, and you can’t hold it up with your hands on the handle. So I bought a piece of aluminum extrusion, and will remove the current lever and replace it with a piece that can be utilized with my hands gripping the handle safely.

Thanks for the review!!

Hutch

-- I hope the volume of shavings one creates is directly related to the probablility of one's success, cuz if so I've got it made!!

#8 posted 03-12-2010 04:47 AM

Hutch,

Great observation about the guard lever. I am planning on using the dust collector port with it (if the part ever gets in) so the shorter guard lever seems to be designed to allow clearance of the bolt-on vacuum adapter.

Thanks for the insight as to the “clearance” issue. I looked into Worx, and they seem to be a lawn equipment company that randomly sells power tools. It seems like they really hit on a winner with this saw, though.

I looked for that Popular Mechanics review, and this is what I found. I have absolutely no idea what those guys were smoking to put the second most powerful tool in their tests at the bottom of their rankings. I agree that for $179 the Worx saw isn’t a great value, but do they really think it deserved the same rank as a cheaply built Skill with a stamped base and a Black and Decker Firestorm??!? I am definitely not arguing that it should be the top ranked tool, but from personal experience I can say it is every bit as good as the Dewalt and Porter-Cable they ranked very highly. I would love to know the full rationale for this ranking, but guess rather than wondering, I should be happy that the ensuing price drop allowed me to get a good saw for less than any of the other tools in that test!

View Lee Imbimbo's profile

Lee Imbimbo

#9 posted 03-12-2010 08:00 AM

I recently took advantage of the same purchase, and I must say so far the saw seems to be working great. It needed a little bit of tuning out of box to make sure everything was squared up, but other than that I actually like the fit and finish of it.

Has anyone had any luck finding out if it has a dust chute made for it? I just ordered a Bosch Dust Chute, that I think will be easily molded to fit the saw and provide dust collection, however, is there one meant to fit it exactly I would happily order it.

I think what I like about the price of this saw the most is that I won’t feel bad should I choose to take Eurekazone’s advice and creating a dust port upfront. But for right now I’m hoping that utilizing the dust chute in the back will work just fine.

I’ve only used it a few times, so hopefully this saw continues to work and you won’t find me complaining in a week about how the thing has gone to crap after just a few uses. =D

View Lee Imbimbo's profile

Lee Imbimbo

#10 posted 03-12-2010 09:45 PM

Alright so I finally got through to the Worz Customer Service and found the one missing piece, the dust port. Worz lists a parts list on a completely different website, which actually has a detailed parts list that I recommend printing out for your records for future reference. I have provided the website link below:

The part number for the dust port is either 50010320, or 50010321, shown on the diagram as item #88. The Worz customer service people said that they believe the correct one is 50010320, I guess I will know in 3 to 5 business days =P.

Also make sure that they include the screws for the dust port, part# 50002660, shown on the diagram as item number 89

On the plus side they said that the dust port was supposed to be included in the box, and is covered under the warranty, so I wasn’t charged for it’s replacement. I hope that helps everyone that purchase the item.

#11 posted 03-13-2010 03:12 AM

Wow! Wish I had tried that. I actually paid for mine!

Thanks for the tip.

View CL810's profile

CL810

#12 posted 03-22-2010 06:24 PM

Lee – Did you get the part in? Which part number was right?

-- "It's amazing how much can go wrong when you think you know what you're doing."

#13 posted 03-22-2010 10:24 PM

Not sure about Lee, but I got my ports in that I ordered from OrderTree.com (part #50010320). They came in very quickly, they definitely fit my saw, but they are the wrong size to fit to my vacuum. I am going to have to figure out a coupling fix to get the 1.25” tubing to hook up to it, but other than that it works just fine.

View CL810's profile

CL810

#14 posted 03-22-2010 10:37 PM

Thanks, David!

View Millo's profile

Millo

#15 posted 05-06-2010 06:13 AM

are the 45-degree bevel cuts accurate? I’ll check into this saw. Thanks for the tip.