Chock Full O' Dovetails !

Review by JerryS posted 03-10-2010 07:29 AM 2641 views 2 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Chock Full O' Dovetails ! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I got a chance to pickup the new DVD by Chuck Bender titled Dovetailing Apprenticeship at a recent woodworking show. This DVD picks up where all the others left off . Chuck walks us through everything from tools needed , sharping his way, layout and cutting them .The production and quality of this DVD is clear and concise . Runtime is a long one hour & fifty minutes chock full O’dovetails . That’s right I said chock full O’dovetails not to be confused with chock full O’coffee. The DVD also comes with a small shop aid in the form of picture card that walks you through the entire process .

You say so what makes this DVD different from all the others . Its the camera angles and close ups . You get a first hand perspective view , another words , as if you were actually doing all the work . So you get to see how you layout the dovetails , cut and chop them out . Then an entirely different view later in the DVD that gives you the view of the mechanics of the process . With the proper sawing and chisel angels .

It starts off covering some basic joint history , followed by picking the tools for the task at hand . Then Chucks method of sharpening chisels . Right into layout and a short discussion on tails or pins first, then gets down to the business of cutting them. I found it refreshing to see Chuck wasn’t hocking any certain tool or tools . The list is basic and very affordable for those just starting out cutting dovetails by hand . You don’t need to break the bank when it comes to tools , Chuck proves that in his demo’s at woodworking shows. Inexpensive chisels and a dovetail saw to match are his show tools of choice. First up are through dovetails followed by half blind dovetails .The DVD ends with Chuck covering two other methods of laying out the dovetails .

They nailed it with this DVD , its the best twenty five bucks you could spend , the bar is set high for the next one .. Chick the link at the top and then click ” Video ” to see a preview of it .

View JerryS's profile

JerryS

#1 posted 03-10-2010 07:04 PM

Interesting Video where do you suppose he got the carving chisels I have been looking for years for a good set. All I have are Stanley I got when working as a Carpenter they are to short and thick.

View GregD's profile

GregD

#2 posted 03-10-2010 08:42 PM

Sounds good. I think I’ll give it a try!

-- Greg D.

View JerryS's profile

JerryS

#3 posted 03-10-2010 10:55 PM

Swede if your referring to the chisels on the DVD cover. I think you can get them most any place . Rockler is one place to look , if you google Two Cherries Chisels you’ll come up with a bunch of choices .

View Bob N's profile

Bob N

#4 posted 03-11-2010 04:32 AM

Thanks for the nice review Jerry. I just ordered my copy.

#5 posted 03-12-2010 10:21 PM

Thanks for the info I just ordered my copy. I am going to look for the chisels this weekend at the Big Tool Store.

View acanthuscarver's profile

acanthuscarver

#6 posted 03-17-2010 01:10 PM

Jerry,

Thanks for such a great review of my new DVD. Glad you like it and I hope it really helps you cut better dovetails easier. There are more DVD’s in the works. I hope I can satisfy your expectations for the ones that follow.

-- Chuck Bender, Senior Editor Popular Woodworking Magazine, period furniture maker, woodworking instructor

View Bob N's profile

Bob N

#7 posted 03-23-2010 01:00 PM

Hey guys,

I got my copy and watched it last night. This is a must have DVD like Jerry says. I have watched about every DVD out there on dovetails, but this one has really inspired me to give it a try. I can’t wait for Chuck to offer future DVD’s as his instructional abilities are 2nd to none.

I highly recommend this DVD to anyone wishing to learn how to hand cut dovetails.

#8 posted 03-23-2010 09:37 PM

I also recommend it a clear and well made DVD.
I did find the Two Cherries Chisels thanks for the tip.

View acanthuscarver's profile

acanthuscarver

#9 posted 03-25-2010 02:58 PM

Barry,
Someday I’ll put out a “bloopers and out takes” video. You’ll understand my restrained look.

As far as the kids go, check out my blog for pics from the different shows. I’m doing my best to lend a hand.

Thanks again to Bob and Swede (glad you found the chisels)