Not their latest, but worthy of consideration if on a budget

Review by ErikB posted 1625 days ago 1770 views 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Not their latest, but worthy of consideration if on a budget No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve owned this router for two or three years and I’ve been very happy with its performance. The controls are easy to use, offers ample power, and there are several accessories available should you need additional features (template guides, straight edge guide, etc.)

Plunging the router is simple, and the depth gauge is awesome.

The variable speed motor runs well and offers soft start after you pull the trigger (in other words, it goes from zero to 100 gradually, not zero to 100 in a nanosecond).

The only problem I’ve faced with this router is the tool-free template guide adapter. This spring-loaded adapter rotates around the opening in the base and lets you swap template guides (not included) quickly. Well, somehow I managed to snap off the little stub that sticks up and lets you push the adapter to its open position. If memory serves me, I did it while using the wrench to loosen a bit. So, to get it to open nowadays, I need to use a screwdriver.

Besides that one small flaw (which could have been my fault), I would recommend this router with hesitation. This isn’t Bosch’s latest model, but if you’re looking to get a great router or to make your first plunge into the plunge router arena, this router can be had for a great price these days.

Erik

View ErikB's profile

ErikB

View Canadian Woodworks's profile

Canadian Woodworks

I’ve had this router for about 10yrs and its still my go to 1/4’’ router.

Also I had problems with the guide bushing thing, I think I took it out and use a twist lock plate from lee valley.

But great router, it’s funny cause it the ads for the LEIGH m&T jig thing they use this router in the ad.

-- Paul Lemiski, Ontario Canada, Custom Wooden Rocking chairs and tables http://www.canadianwoodworks.com

View Mike Shea's profile

Mike Shea

This was the first router I ever owned. It was given to me by my father in law. It was about 10 years old and to this day i havnt come across router to even come close to the performance of it. That was until it fell off my workbench last year. When it fell to the ground it broke the handle right off. I saved it so that one day i can make a handle for it and use this router again. THE BEST PLUNGE ROUTER EVER

-- i can do all things through christ who strengthens me