14 Inch Jet Bandsaw

Review by Dano posted 2347 days ago 12929 views 1 time favorited 30 comments Add to Favorites Watch
14 Inch Jet Bandsaw 14 Inch Jet Bandsaw 14 Inch Jet Bandsaw Click the pictures to enlarge them

I ordered this saw from Amazon on Monday and it was delivered on the following Friday utilizing their free shipping. I was worried that it might be damaged in route as it seems other have had similar experiences. However, it arrived in pristine condition, shrink wrapped to a wooden pallet.

The saw was easy to assemble as there are only 4 pieces, the base, the saw, trunnion, and the table. Instructions are good and everything was there. The base does not have any “feet” and thus the base sets directly on the floor. This seems to cause it to rock and if I were not going to mount it on a mobile base I would either install some feet or shim the base to eliminate the instability. The table is 15 inches square and appears to be flat but I haven’t laid a straight edge on it yet. There is a quick release lever to release tension on the blade and I think it is a great addition.

One of the promotional offers was a free fence and miter gage which was included with the shipment (Jet said that they sent this with the rebate check so I was surprised to see it). The miter gage is pretty basic but will certainly work and is comparable to what you would expect to find in a contractor type table saw. The fence is aluminum and seems to lock well but there is little if any angular adjustment. The fence does have a resaw adapter that is supposed to attach through a slot in the fence positioned at the leading edge of the blade but the way the slot is cut it is several inches forward of that location. I am not sure is this is in error or not but plan to contact JET to find out.

I have read that the Jet blades are junk and my test cuts seem to indicate this to be correct. The cut does not seem to be as fast as I would expect and there is a thunking noise that I have contributed to a bad weld on the blade. Here again since I have ordered a riser block I will replace the blade with a premium version.

Overall it seems to be very well made and should perform as needed with a new blade. Given the price of 600 bucks, 50 dollar rebate, no sales tax, and free shipping I think it is a very good value. But, since Jet is throwing in a fence and miter gage too I think it is an incredible deal. As I learn more about it I will update the review to give you my impressions after use.

-- Dan in Central Oklahoma, Able to turn good wood into saw dust in the blink of an eye!

View Alin Dobra's profile

Alin Dobra

Dano,

I have the saw and it is really good. One think you should do is replace the belt with a “link belt”. It makes the saw quiet and removes most of the vibration. Also, you definitely want the reiser block. The saw is powerful enough to resaw 11” material without too much fuss.

As far as the fence and the miter are concerned, I do not see much use for them. Without pretty good angular adjustment, a fence is not very useful (it is hard to position the blade very precisely on the wheels, which would be required to adjust the angle of the blade). The same problem with the miter. I find that it is easier to learn to cut straight without a guide with the saw.

Alin

-- -- Alin Dobra, Gainesville, Florida

View etivancic's profile

etivancic

I have been looking at this saw as well. Thanks for the review. I hope it works well for you. Let us know how things turn out as time goes on. (I’m waiting for my tax $ so I have some time) :)

View ChicoWoodnut's profile

ChicoWoodnut

congrats Dano,

I have an older model of that saw and I am pretty happy with it. The only problems I have had with it are that the piece of UHM plastic on the clamp for the fence rail falls off all the time. It is annoying. I put a piece of plywood under the base and put bolts through so I could adjust the level. that worked pretty good. It is also a royal pain to adjust the belt on my particular model.

It looks like they have moved the dust colection port over to the right hand side of the saw. That was a good move on their part.

I have personally never had a problem getting the fence to adjust parallel with the blade. I have the re-saw fence from FWW #159 and use this saw all the time for that. Here is a discussion of how I use it.

-- Scott - Chico California http://chicowoodnut.home.comcast.net

Dano

Alin, good idea on the link belt, I have one on my table saw.

Scott I can see what you are talking about, I will watch mine to see if they start to come loose.

View DGunn's profile

DGunn

Congrats on the new saw. You might want to try to file down the burr on the weld of the blade. It could damage your thrust bearing if you use it much before you put the riser block and new blade on.

Woodchuck1957

I basically have the same saw except older. The only problem I’ve ever had with it was I left a 3/4” blade in it tensioned over the winter and it bent and cracked the upper axle assembly. It’s nice to see a quick release on the new saws, I may have to see if I can order one for my saw if it will work. One note about the old axle assembly is when I recieved a new one I compared it to the old failed one and JET has beefed the new casting up considerably where the old one had failed. Without hearing the thumping sound you describe Dano, I’ll mention that it could maybe be the V-Belt has a set in it.

View Dorje's profile

Dorje

I’ve had the upper axle assembly problem too (bending to the point you couldn’t tension the blade), but was a $20 fix. Also, although I really like the saw, I have always felt that the guide adjuster set screws and all the knobs on the saw are just too small.

-- Dorje (pronounced "door-jay"), Seattle, WA

Woodchuck1957

$20 fix ? I think the new part cost me about $50. I couldn’t just buy the axle, I had to buy the axle and the mount that it pivots in. I wasn’t real happy about it, especially after I seen that they had beefed up the new part considerably where the old part failed. Customer service and I went round and round about not takeing the tension off the blade. I told the gal that if that was the case why isn’t it printed in the manual and why is the new part beefed up ? Well needless to say to be on the safe side I now back off the tension when I’m done for the day, and a quick release would sure be nice.

View Dorje's profile

Dorje

woodchuck – yep- we’re talking about the same part. I got mine from an outfit that sells new and surplus jet equipment in my area. The part I got was new…and I needed the whole assembly too…

Give them a call in the future…they’re pretty good guys…

Equipment Sales and Surplus (I have no affiliation to them, with the exception that I give them my money in turn for equipment) Not sure the site is the most up to date, but…they usually don’t list near as much surplus equipment as they actually have, because it comes and goes so fast.

-- Dorje (pronounced "door-jay"), Seattle, WA

Woodchuck1957

Thanks for the tip Dorje, I’ll have to snoop through the site later. I’m e:mailing JET about the quick release. They say it won’t work, but if I look up the upper arm part number for both saws they are the same. I’m thinking worse case senerio a guy would maybe have to drill and tap a couple holes in the arm. Maybe Dano can tell us how the quick release is attached.

Woodchuck1957

I take that back on the V-belt possibly being a cause of the thumping, the bandsaw Dano has came with a poly V-belt, scratch that idea..

Dano

I will investigate how the quick release is attached and post some more close up pictures of it. May be a day or two but I’ll get her done! I think Carter has an aftermarket release lever but it is pricey which is one of the reasons I opted for this version over the standard closed base one, especially in light of the fact it was only 50 bucks more.

Woodchuck1957

Your right Dano, for $50 more you got the quick blade tension release, a poly V-belt and a 1/4 hp more. Not a bad deal. The Carter maybe nice, but $150 to me seems a bit pricey.

View gizmodyne's profile

gizmodyne

If the resaw thing you describe is a metal cylinder than it is ok forward of the blade. You draw a line down the board and use the cylinder as a pivot point. Sounds like a great saw so far.

-- -John "Do I have to keep typing a smiley? Just assume it's a joke." www.flickr.com/photos/gizmodyne

Dano

John, it is cylindrical but it is black plastic.