Grand Slam Tools Home Run Pack

Review by kosta posted 03-09-2010 04:42 AM 3454 views 1 time favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Grand Slam Tools Home Run Pack No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Yo whats up everybody I wanted to do a review on Tommy Mcdonalds grand slam tools. I got the home run pack in may 2009. The home run pack includes a bench bat, 2 parring blocks, and a marking gauge. I dont use the parring blocks a lot but I use the marking gauge and the bench bat a lot. The bench bat, parring blocks, and the marking gauge are all made out of maple and the marking gauge has a hock blade. If you didn’t already know this Tommy McDonald just announced that he got a t.v deal with WGBH in Boston. You can get the home run pack for $90 at http://www.grandslamtools.com/online-store.html

-- kosta Virginia Beach, VA http://www.kostasworkshop.blogspot.com/

View kosta's profile

kosta

946 posts in 2013 days

View Marc5's profile

Marc5

304 posts in 2001 days

#1 posted 03-09-2010 11:58 AM

I broke down and bought the set a couple days ago. It is on sale for $80 + shipping. I am looking forward to using the tools.

-- Marc

View robwelch's profile

robwelch

#2 posted 03-09-2010 01:25 PM

Am I missing something? $80 + shipping for a marking gauge, bat and 2 blocks seems very overpriced.

View kosta's profile

kosta

946 posts in 2013 days

#3 posted 03-09-2010 02:26 PM

For some people its way too much but honestly its a 1 time cost. Your not going to need to buy another set in 2 weeks.

-- kosta Virginia Beach, VA http://www.kostasworkshop.blogspot.com/

View RexMcKinnon's profile

RexMcKinnon

#4 posted 03-09-2010 06:21 PM

I think the set is worth it. I have been thinking about getting it for a while but the shipping to Canada is high. If you still think it is over priced think of it this way. Tommy puts out good quality FREE content. He has to make a living though and this is a way of us supporting that content and saying thanks in my opinion. Personally I will buy a set but I have a friend with a US address and I will probably get it sent to him and pick it up later. I gonna see him in a few months so I have plenty of time.

-- If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail!

View Eli's profile

#5 posted 03-09-2010 07:55 PM

You’re either missing the quality of these tools, or the competition. Just briefly, the marking gauges have Hock blades (honed by hand), and the blades are squared to the fence so you can mark as little as a blade’s thickness. The mallet is hard maple and actually pretty nice. I generally don’t care about mallets and just hit my projects with whatever. For me, the main quality in a mallet is that I have no complaints, and I don’t. The paring blocks are handy and, although I don’t use them, do give dovetails a very consistent angle. Mine are a little willy nilly, but a lot of people want t that precision.

Mallets at woodcraft start at $25, but a round one costs $35 or more (I like round so you don’t drive a corner into your work). Marking gauges are $20 for a round one or $35 and up for square. However, the square ones have brass which doesn’t move seasonally and can protrude from the fence. Also, the blades point all over the place.

So that’s $45 minimum or $70 for comparable styles and shipping on top of that. Factor in the higher quality tools and the paring blocks, and it actually is quite a deal.

View Eli's profile

#6 posted 03-09-2010 07:57 PM

P.S. Thanks Marc, kosta, Rex and everyone else whose picked up a set or anything from our shop. We really appreciate your support and I’m glad we could provide you some good tools to help you on your own work.

View stevenmadden's profile

stevenmadden

#7 posted 03-09-2010 09:09 PM

I purchased the Home Run 4 Pack a couple of weeks ago and was slightly disappointed when they arrived. I decided to purchase the set based on a review by Marc Spagnuolo over at thewoodwhisperer.com. The Home Run 4 Pack that was sent to Marc had color added to the major league logo on the bat, marking gauge, and pairing blocks (mine doesn’t even have the logo on the pairing blocks). The packaging was also different, the set Marc received was surrounded by foam packaging (very well protected), while mine was placed loosely in a box with no protection at all. I know the bat is supposed to get beat around, but I would like to be the one to do it.

I did send an e-mail to Thomas (or Tommy, not sure which he prefers), asking why things had changed and he responded very quickly. He stated that MLB has been giving him a hard time and that he has to stop using the logo. He also stated that he is no longer offering the tools and that I got the last one, which may or may not be true (they are still available through his site?). He also said that if I was unhappy he would try and make it up to me. One of the reasons I wanted to purchase this set was to offer support to a fellow woodworker, so I am not going to insist that anything be done.

This is in no way a bad review of the tools functionality, they work just fine, I was just a little disappointed that the product was not what I thought it would be based on Marc’s review and based on the picture attached to this review.

Steve

View stevenmadden's profile

stevenmadden

#8 posted 03-09-2010 11:34 PM

Hey Tommy,

Well, I feel like a real tool (no pun intended). I had no idea you had been selected by WBGH to host a new woodworking show and are now in transition. Like I said, there is nothing wrong with the functionality of your Home Run 4 Pack, it was just different than what I was expecting. I come to this site quite often in search of advice, tool reviews, etc., and I just wanted to add something to this review for the next guy. If you are able to sell the original products in the future, let me know, I will be the first in line.

Congratulations on the new gig, keep us posted on the when and what channel (I hope it will be coming to a television near me!). Good luck!

Steve

View Marc5's profile

Marc5

304 posts in 2001 days

#9 posted 03-18-2010 02:12 AM

I received the home run pack today; the last one. The items were in delivered without any shipping damage what so ever. The marking gauge is far better than I expected and beats the Veratas gauge I am currently using. The bench bat is a natural, it is well balanced and seems to just feel right; could be from all the years of baseball. In my mind pure genius.

Good luck with the show Tommy and thanks for the shirt!

-- Marc