Bosch 12V Max I-Driver

Review by billthekatt posted 03-08-2010 08:36 AM 3514 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
 Bosch 12V Max I-Driver No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is my first review so go easy on me.. I was at my local sears store just looking around and i saw this bosch driver tucked away on a bottom shelf. It had a big factory reconditioned sticker on it. the battery was charged so so i gave it a try. sounded like it had a lot of torque and it worked great, looked great. sold! half the price of a new one. six months later now. i have drove over one thousand screws with this driver. the only thing that has happened to it is the the switch works intermitten, no big deal just let go and squeeze again and it works. probably why it was returned in the first place. Overall this is probably the best driver i have ever used, its compact design lets me get into tighter spots then my drills. i would recomend this to anyone…great product..

-- larry

View billthekatt's profile

billthekatt

View Jim's profile

Jim

142 posts in 1987 days

#1 posted 03-08-2010 01:22 PM

I agree! I’ve got one myself and was so happy when I got it as a gift when I needed a right angle drill, instead of a cheap add-on to a normal drill, I get this wonderful machine.

-- -- Jim - Kokomo, Indiana

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

#2 posted 03-08-2010 03:24 PM

There are places where one really needs a right angle drill. They are very useful for getting into tight spots. However, I’ve always found them awkward to use. They usually don’t have the same balance and feel of a conventional drill. That is certainly true of my 18 volt Dewalt. It sounds like this drill may be a little lighter and a little less awkward to use. I’ll have to check it out.

View Roper's profile

Roper

#3 posted 03-09-2010 04:40 AM

i just picked up the same unit on close out at the BORG for 25 bucks, best deal i ever got from them. the unit has good power,but what i really like is the 30 minute charge.

-- Roper - Master of sawdust- www.roperwoodturning.com

View PhineasWhipsnake's profile

PhineasWhipsnake

#4 posted 03-09-2010 07:52 PM

I bought one of these about a year ago at a Big Orange closeout ($89). I already had their superb pistol-grip driver (PS20) and use it every day at work. The right angle feature is it’s claim to fame, of course, but IMHO, it’s pretty clumsy compared to the pistol-grip version. Overall, I’m a convert to Bosch tools compared to their competition, but unless I need the close-quarters ability of the i-Driver, I much prefer the pistol-grip.

-- Gene T

View shopmania's profile

shopmania

#5 posted 03-10-2010 01:04 AM

I have one of these and I love it! My brothers wife works at a Bosch factory and they get a chance to buy factory re-furb’s at really low prices. It has great torque, I use it to drive pocket hole screws alot, b/c on the inside of a cabinet in a corner, it can be pretty tight. This works great, has a magnetic chuck, and I owned for several months and drove hundreds of screws with it before I ever had to change the battery. Even if it sits for a couple weeks it doesn’t seem to lose any charge.

A great tool!

-- Tim, Myrtle Beach, DrTim@ONeillChiro.com- Just one more tool, that's all I need! :)

View NotEnough's profile

NotEnough

#6 posted 03-10-2010 05:02 AM

I’ve invested in a few of the tools in their 12V line. Got the drill/driver, the I-drive, and impact. Really want the chucked drill/driver for using standard drill bits. The multi tool looks interesting, but there are so many different versions available (and you can spend a fortune on all of the attachments).

I need to get another charger tho. My local HD had the batteries for $20 instead of the usual $40.

I reach for these before I grab the 18V tools b/c they can tackle most jobs in a much smaller and lighter package.

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

#7 posted 03-10-2010 05:56 PM

I have the same driver. I love mine for tight spots. The reason your trigger works intermittently is the drill has an overload protection and if your driving some tough screws it kicks off sometimes…or if your using the clutch. I have had mine for 4 years and my battery is starting to go. The Lipo batteries just go bad after about 4 years or so regardless of your use/charging habits.

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

View Jim Crockett (USN Retired)'s profile

Jim Crockett (USN Retired)

#8 posted 03-14-2010 04:03 AM

I have dearly wanted one of these for over a year but never seem to have the $$$. My Skil Super Twist screwdriver which worked very well for many years has finally bit the big one so I really need something other than my cordless drill. Sure wish I could find this Bosch on clearance like others have but here in Maine I seldom see a clearance on anything useful.

Jim

-- A veteran is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including his/her life".

View billthekatt's profile

billthekatt

#9 posted 09-07-2010 06:26 AM

well the bosh driver has died..wont do a thing..took it apart and found a burnt chip..new circut board cost about $70 including shipping.. i only paid $90 for it. should i repair it or buy a new one?

-- larry