Using New Shaper

Review by ND2ELK posted 03-04-2010 08:48 AM 5543 views 0 times favorited 15 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Using New Shaper Using New Shaper Using New Shaper Click the pictures to enlarge them

I finally got to try out my new shaper today. It has a 1 1/2hp motor and comes with a 1/2” spindle, 3/4” spindle, 1/4” collet and 1/2” collet for router bits. It has two different speeds and a forward and reverse. I really like the idea that I can use shaper cutters and router bits on the same machine. I have not bought any shaper cutters yet because I feel I should buy shaper cutters for each of the jobs as I do them. That holds true for router bits as well. As I do more jobs my cutters and bit collection well grow.

I am working on a L-Shaped computer desk and wall hanging storage unit. The side trim pieces and base trim pieces needed a decorative cut put in them. I also had to put a decorative edge on the doors and drawer covers. I was very pleased the way they came out.

The shaper is very well built and does not require very much assemble. It seems to have plenty of power and the dust collection chute works great with my cyclone. There was only a small hand full of chips on or around the machine after running everything. It was quiet, had no vibration, easy to set up and adjust. I do not fore see it having any problems with the shaper cutters at all. When I start doing raised panel doors I will up date the review. I am very happy with the machine so far and would recommend it as a good machine. The only two things I would have liked to have seen, is a longer cord and oak fence boards which I plan on changing.

-- Mc Bridge Cabinets, Iowa

View ND2ELK's profile

ND2ELK

View studie's profile

studie

#1 posted 03-04-2010 09:16 AM

Mc B, your shop looks awesome & am sure so many of us have followed your progress with envy, but more with admiration for the enthusiasm & dedication you show! A well laid out shop & clean too but it looks like you will be having a wave of sawdust storms soon! I got a Delta HD shaper last year a 72 I think but it has issues. I like the older USA stuff but they take involvement. Remember points & condensers in car motors? Thanks for the shop tours!

-- $tudie

View 4Bennett's profile

4Bennett

#2 posted 03-04-2010 11:19 AM

I looked at that shaper for quite a while before purchasing an old rockwell/delta shaper of about that same size. They are amazing for making raised panels. I ended up buying a set of reversible bits for the rail and stile. I like the concept of the reversible bits but im not 100% sold on them. If i had it to do over again i think I would buy the seperate bits.

View Lee A. Jesberger's profile

Lee A. Jesberger

#3 posted 03-04-2010 02:21 PM

Hello Tom;

Great review. Shapers are a great machine to have in any wood shop. Just the reduced noise level coming from a shaper, as opposed to a table mounted router, makes the switch worth while.

Next, you’ll be putting on a feed attachment. (also a nice addition).

Very nice doors.

Lee

View michstairguy's profile

michstairguy

21 posts in 1902 days

#4 posted 03-04-2010 02:54 PM

I have had this same shaper for 5 or 6 years. Does everything I throw at it. It does have a couple limitations when it comes to the diameter of shaper head you can put on it but CMT makes one that is 3/4 bore and has an infinite number of profiles available for it . I have done alot of different stuff with this shaper. I am sure you will love it

-- There is no growing in knowing where your going

View GrizzlyGuy's profile

GrizzlyGuy

#5 posted 03-04-2010 03:39 PM

I own a 1.5HP shaper the same size and have just ventured into the world of raised panel doors. The other night I taught myself that the coping rail has to have a backup bock behind it to avoid tear-out at the end of the cut. I was able to run an entire panel profile in one pass using 3/4” MDF. Mine came with a two-piece fence like yours shown; but I made a continuous fence from 3/4” melamine and bandsawed the profile of the cutting head on it to get good support. That helped a lot and made it arrow straight. Hey, great looking piece of equipment you have there! Take Care!

View unisaw2's profile

unisaw2

#6 posted 03-04-2010 03:55 PM

Tom, another great review, thanks.
I’m pretty invested in my router table and router bits, but I’ve always wondered if a shaper would have a place in the shop. I agree, having the ability to use router bits in the shaper is a big plus.

-- JJ

View patron's profile

patron

13035 posts in 2000 days

#7 posted 03-04-2010 04:27 PM

always nice when a tool does what it is supposed to do !

i have a delta shaper ,
don’t use it all the time ,
but i know it will do the big jobs when i need it to .

nice review .

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Beginningwoodworker

#8 posted 03-05-2010 04:29 AM

Thats looks good, and thanks for the review. I am looking at getting one for my shop.

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker

View Skylark53's profile

Skylark53

#9 posted 03-05-2010 10:03 PM

Tom, thanks for the review; practical and very informative. Tell me, though-you cleaned up for the pictures, right? The pictures are great and your shop is terrific and I know that it is a real, working shop, but I didn’t see one speck of sawdust! In my little home shop, I am just now arranging for dust collection; it seems up to now I spend nearly as much time cleaning up as I do making sawdust. I hope to get my shop so it can be maintained as well as yours seems to be. As always, thanks for sharing.

-- Rick, Tennessee, John 3:16

View ND2ELK's profile

ND2ELK

#10 posted 03-06-2010 03:17 AM

Skylark53: When I am working on something it gets dirty. After I am done building and sanding a project I completely clean it as I finish in the shop as well. The cyclone really makes a big difference. Thanks for your comments.

Tom

-- Mc Bridge Cabinets, Iowa

View Mike's profile

Mike

247 posts in 2041 days

#11 posted 03-06-2010 04:44 AM

Heh Tom! Thanks for the review, can’t wait to see some of the work that it can do.

-- Mike, VT

View Roz's profile

Roz

#12 posted 03-07-2010 05:39 PM

A shaper is a great machine to have in your shop. I use mine regularly.

-- Terry Roswell, L.A. (Lower Alabama) "Life is what happens to you when you are making other plans."

View Dustin's profile

Dustin

#13 posted 03-18-2010 07:05 PM

I like it! You’ll find that 1-1/2hp is a tad bit low for a raised panel and undercutter but if you take 2 to 3 passes you won’t have a problem. If you can put a power feeder on it you’ll be just fine but doing it by hand will normally give you bumps on the raise.
I don’t know what I would do without my shapers. Good review.

View ARTbyGUNTHER's profile

ARTbyGUNTHER

#14 posted 08-20-2010 01:26 PM

Hi Tom,

I just purchased a JWS-22CS in part because of your great review. Thank you very much! Also it looks like you are using a HTC-2000(?) mobile base; would you recommend this base for the shaper? I am thinking about purchasing a mobile base and noticed yours. Thanks again!

-- Gunther, Marietta GA -- So many worlds, so much to do, so little done, such things to be. -Alfred, Lord Tennyson

View engrx2's profile

engrx2

#15 posted 03-02-2014 06:05 PM

Hi: I’m new to the forum. But I bought the open framed version of this shaper and had problems with vibration at 9000 RPM. There’s a you-tube video that shows the same thing. Took a little bit of work to get it balanced, but the main problem was the draw bar which was just a single 5/16 bolt accessed from underneath. The bolt just bottomed on a standard hardware store 5/16 washer. The bolt fit through the hole and washer was fairly sloppy. So I made my own precision washer and bushing to make sure the draw bar was always centered. The shaper now runs as smooth as my Unisaw. —Not sure how much more smoother I can get this thing, but I guess it is good enough.