Oneway Wheel Balancing System

Review by Padre posted 03-03-2010 at 03:18 PM 3347 views 1 time favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Oneway Wheel Balancing System No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this Oneway Wheel Balancing System from Craft Supplies, it cost 62.99. I do a lot of wood turning tool sharpening. I have an inexpensive 2 speed grinder I bought from Woodcraft and it rocked, rattled and rolled, that’s for sure!!

I put this on this afternoon, and you would think I have a Baldor grinder with special balanced wheels. What a difference this has made.

I recommend this grinder attachment.

-- Chip -----------http://www.penmanchip.com-----------------Micah 6:8

View Padre's profile

Padre

View grub32's profile

grub32

#1 posted 03-03-2010 at 03:36 PM

Chip…Some valuable info…Lots of us turners have that same grinder from the WC. I will definitely have to look into that.

Thanks,

Grub

-- Science Teacher by Day, Wood Butcher by Night!!

#2 posted 03-03-2010 at 04:19 PM

How does this work? I need to stop the shakes from my grinder that popped up when I swapped out the cheapie OEM wheels with a set of Norton Aluminum Oxides… I was thinking about springing for the Geigers Dressing and Truing solution, but want to make sure I am making the right choice…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View Padre's profile

Padre

#3 posted 03-03-2010 at 04:25 PM

It it really kind of simple. The outer wheel has a groove in it. Into the groove you put 3 nuts, and then from the front you screw in a screw with a washer. Then you move these three nuts/washers/screws around until the wheel is completely balanced. The kit comes with its own balancing stand with ball bearing bearings on it. It took me about 10 minutes for each wheel because it’s the first time I did it. Next time it will be a lot faster!

It is really good, I just went out and sharpened my bowl gouge, and the difference in the ‘shakes’ is unbelieveable.

-- Chip -----------http://www.penmanchip.com-----------------Micah 6:8

View bigike's profile

bigike

4031 posts in 1925 days

#4 posted 03-03-2010 at 05:41 PM

thanks for the review, i wanted to get one but was unshure untill now. THANKS

-- Ike, Big Daddies Woodshop, http://www.icombadaniels@yahoo.com

#5 posted 03-03-2010 at 06:16 PM

Sounds like a great system.

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

#6 posted 03-04-2010 at 09:22 AM

Chip,
Thanks for the review!!!! I’ve been looking at these balancers and your post has given solid advice toward a purchase.
John

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

View lepelerin's profile

lepelerin

#7 posted 09-24-2012 at 02:18 PM

kind of an old post, but I have the same, It makes a huge difference, Night and day.
I found a dead variable speed bench grinder (0-3600 rpm). I spend time fixing it, works great now. I made a clone of the Veritas grinding tool rest jig. My chisel are sharp!