Freud LU88 - Nice for table saw blade, but ...

Review by Dave posted 02-18-2008 06:11 AM 8664 views 1 time favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Freud LU88 - Nice for table saw blade, but ... No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have a Delta 10” Compound Mitre saw. I bought the Freud LU88 saw blade for my Craftsman table saw a couple weeks ago, and WOW, what a difference it made when I cut some test pieces. Buying the LU88 was a HUGE step up for me, and I really noticed the improvement on my cross-cuts. Nice and smooth, hardly bogged down at all (Craftsman 10” 2.5hp TABLE SAW) on 3/4” oak, at least not like my old blade. My question is, will the LU88 blade also work in my compound mitre saw ? Thinking about getting another one of these LU88 blades, or is there one better for a compound mitre saw.

#1 posted 02-18-2008 05:48 PM

For a miter saw or radial arm saw I’d look at a blade in the LU91 series. These blades have a negative hook angle which give you a little more control.

#2 posted 02-18-2008 08:27 PM

Dave,
Thanks for your post.
My comp mitre doesn’t have the sliding feature. Is this still a good choice for non-sliding saws ?

#3 posted 02-19-2008 12:48 AM

I’d mount the blade you have on the miter saw and see how you like it. If you don’t have a sliding miter saw then you could run just about any blade.

#4 posted 02-19-2008 12:57 AM

Guess I don’t know enough about sliding mitre saws to understand why, but I do know I’m no expert.
I also posted the question in a forum, I think my post here is in the wrong place.
Thanks Dave, I’ll give that a try.

View USCJeff's profile

USCJeff

#5 posted 02-20-2008 06:32 PM

While I’m no expert on the physics of the sliding miter action versus the chop action, I would think that the angle of the teeth would be a factor. The sliding action is being pushed through the width of the board, whereas the pivoting chop action is being pushed down through the board. This might make little difference, however. I’m stationary, so I couldn’t say. I’m using a Dewalt stock crosscut blade on the miter as this is what it does. Works well. All mitersaws will have a degree of runout compared to a tablesaw. I use a Freud Combo TK blade on the TS for most applications. I have a plywood blade that is great, but doesn’t get used unless I’m doing a ton of plywood. Good experieces with Freud. Love to try the Glue-Line blades.

-- Jeff, South Carolina

#6 posted 02-20-2008 09:20 PM

Negative hook blades reduce the chances of grabbing or overfeeding on radial arm and sliding miter saws. Gives you more control.

View Jim Crockett (USN Retired)'s profile

Jim Crockett (USN Retired)

#7 posted 10-21-2009 05:20 AM

After carefully reading Scott Spencer's comparison table of table saw blades on Sawmill Creek, I decided to purchase this blade. He wasn’t exaggerating when he rated this Freud LU88R010 blade as one of the best, if not the best, combination blade. Yes, I know, this is a crosscut blade but it does a superb job of ripping reasonably thin stock (I was trimming up a board and ripped a piece off that is less than 1/32” and smooth as anyone could ask). The crosscuts are beyond anything I have experienced – I’ve used it on 3/4 oak, 1/2 elm, walnut, cherry, maple – all without blade marks or burning and a surface that is truly smooth. Feeding the stock is like pushing a hot knife through butter. If I were going to have an exposed end grain result of a cross cut, I might sand with no less than 220 grit sandpaper but that probably wouldn’t improve it any. I’m very pleased and thankful that I chose this blade over other more expensive ones. I can’t imagine how another blade could be any better!

JimC

-- A veteran is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including his/her life".

View Vincent Nocito's profile

Vincent Nocito

442 posts in 2051 days

#8 posted 10-21-2009 12:59 PM

I use one in my DW713 with good results. I think negative hook is needed for a slider but is overkill or a non-slider.