Now I really do have 10 Inches...

Review by Kerry Drake posted 03-01-2010 05:56 PM 9464 views 0 times favorited 24 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Now I really do have 10 Inches... Now I really do have 10 Inches... No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Last August I purchased a Jet 10” Combination Jointer/Planer, and last weekend I finally got to give it a real workout. I had 3 pieces of 6/4 Cherry all 10’ long ranging in width from about 5” up to nearly 9”. I needed to mill them all down to the exact same thickness so I could glue them up and make one massive cherry counter top 9’ 3” long and 17” deep. Me and my Jet got to spend 5 hours of quality time with each other.

The good:

1 – The price on this unit is hard to beat even if you are only looking for a Jointer. I see people all the time doing the “can I get by with a 6” jointer or do I go up to 8”...” Well, I’ve got 10”, and I really don’t think I could have done what I did with an 8” jointer this weekend.

2 – Dust collection on the Planer is really very good. I just have a big Shop Vac with a Dust Deputy attached to it and Planer put out next to no shavings onto the floor.

3 – Did I mention it was 10” wide?

4 – The fence is reasonably sturdy, and it is nice and tall.

5 – While the table is not HUGE, it was certainly big enough that I was handling the 10’ boards without problem.

The not so good:

1 – The dust collection on the Jointer only catches maybe 60% of the shavings.

2 – The infeed on the Planer is way to short before the blade engages, so you need to pay attention.

3 – The whole unit is VERY light, and once or twice I found myself putting a foot on the cross brace of the stand to keep it seated firmly on the floor.

Now that being said, for normal stuff (working on 10’ long boards is not normal for me) 6’ long or less, this will be great addition to my shop. And hey, I have a 10” jointer.

View DraftsmanRick's profile

DraftsmanRick

#1 posted 03-01-2010 07:31 PM

Its alway cool to get a new tool. However, as kickback said there are some things about this machine. Hate to break it to ya..
Theres a review of this machine here on LJ’s. Check it out. It might help with any unforseen issues that might arise.

-- Jesus was a carpenter

View rbterhune's profile

rbterhune

#2 posted 03-01-2010 09:31 PM

I’m happy that you’re happy, but I’ll tell you what, I had no luck with this machine. I order AND RETURNED 2 of these units. Like you, I was really into the capacity and the combo aspects of the machine BUT both of the units I ordered had warped fences, one had a broken rod that holds the jointing infeed in place, and I could not (no matter how many times I tried) get the tables coplanar. They were off by as much as 1/8” EVEN WITH the “adjustment” JET recommended.

I ended up returning both, picking up a dewalt planer and building a sled for jointing.

View lugnut's profile

lugnut

#3 posted 03-01-2010 10:11 PM

Great to hear your review! I just ordered the 8”. When it gets here we can compare your 10 to my 8… uh, that didn’t come out right…

View David Craig's profile

David Craig

#4 posted 03-01-2010 11:03 PM

Nice review and thanks for the video. I have the 8 inch version. It took some monkeying around with it but it works fine for me right now. I will say Jet has great customer service. To save you a little pain, lugnut, right when you open the box, contact Jet support and have them email you the directions on how to set the table co-planar. Mine was not set out of the box and the instructions on it are not included. I spent quite awhile trying to set the knives before I discovered this and after adjustment, it took me about 10 minutes to get it right. I don’t care for the thickness of the planar knives and Jet is about the only distributor of the size required. You will have to call in an order as the part, last I looked, was not available on their website.

I noticed in the video that you were not using outfeed support for the long pieces. Not sure if that was just for camera angle or not. When you were on long pieces, I would strongly suggest outfeed rollers of some kind.

David

-- There is little that is simple when it comes to making a simple box.

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

#5 posted 03-01-2010 11:15 PM

I’m glad you are happy with this machine and I hope it continues to serve you well. As you may know, the reviews in general on this machine are not very good.

I considered this machine at one time. I thought – wow a 10” jointer plus a planner for less than most people pay for a 6” jointer. That’s to good to be true and, as they say, “if it’s too good to be true then it is probably too good to be true.” I ended up buying a rock solid 6” jointer and I’m hoping to get a few more years out of my old Dewalt planer.

View spamfilterman's profile

spamfilterman

#6 posted 03-02-2010 04:31 AM

I bought the same machine back when Woodcraft was having a sale on all Jet and Powermatic tools. But, due to the cold weather, I haven’t been able to give it much use yet. I did manage to get the jointer tables and planer outfeed table reasonable flat (as far as I can tell). The weather is starting to warm up, so hopefully I’ll be using it soon.

Like someone else said, first thing to do is call Jet and get a diagram on how to adjust the jointer’s outfeed table. I don’t know why they don’t pack that diagram in the box.

View Bob Kollman's profile

Bob Kollman

#7 posted 03-02-2010 09:25 AM

Nice…I have a jet only 6” :(

HAVE FUN WITH YOUR NEW TOY!!!

-- Bob Kenosha Wi.

View Jeremy's profile

Jeremy

74 posts in 1984 days

#8 posted 03-03-2010 05:07 AM

Thanks for your positive review of this tool (I own the same one) and I too see its short comings but appreciate what it does do! I find myself having to stick up for it a lot here so I’m glad to see you are having good luck with it too! One thing about your video! This tool is loud! You should really wear ear protection with this thing! :-)

-- Jeremy, Rochester, NY

View rbterhune's profile

rbterhune

#9 posted 03-03-2010 06:03 AM

I have to make another comment because I didn’t something the first time I watched your video. I’m not wanting to be rude, because as I mentioned before…if you’re happy I’m happy but…your stock is rocking all over the place. Are you sure you’re not making flat boards curved? A long straight edge will tell you if your tables are really co-planar.

View Chelios's profile

Chelios

#10 posted 03-03-2010 06:26 AM

Kerry

Be careful more than anything. I was watching you in that video and you didn’t look real smooth. You could easily get hurt bad. You did 4 things I would never do; 1 of which got me hurt. Fingers over the edge, hands instead of pushers, palm over the board while you stalled through the cut and diving/backing the board into the knives. Scary stuff that brings bad memories.

Try some bees wax on it as well.

I think that a belt jointer may be a bit nicer operation. That one sounds all reved up….well in any case I wish you good luck and remember that its not the size that counts but how you used it. ha : )

#11 posted 03-04-2010 12:24 AM

The 10” is nice, heck just to get a 10” jointer for the price these go for is great… Do you ever run into issues with it not being able to offer say 12-13” planing surface? I rarely plane that wide, and can see hand planing if I need to…

Oh and yeah, you REALLY need some push blocks. They are way cheaper than fingers!

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View Rick's profile

Rick

#12 posted 03-29-2010 06:53 PM

Although I have now been setting up a shop for almost 2 years, I’ve not done that many projects (I have a day job that often becomes a night job, too!), so I still consider myself a newbie. But one thing I am is a student. So I read and learn as much as I can then try to put into practice. So. . .

If the forums are a better place for this, let me know. I bought a floor model from Woodcraft. it’s since been in the back of my truck going home and in a moving truck going 600 miles to a new home. Here’s where I am now:

I found that tightening my in-feed table lock knobs as tight as I could get them still allowed movement, allowing the table end to drop or rise – albeit about 1/16” to 1/8” at the end of the table, but obviously enough. The movement is at the end of the table, pivoting where it attaches.

Then I found that they are not level across the tables – at the fence, with the depth of cut at 0, a straight edge shows flat across the tables, but by the front cover, the in-feed is high – the straight edge shows a gap on the out-feed by the cutters. Even just a bubble level confirmed that. It’s minute, but there.

However, I’ve loosened screws that appear to hold these tables but can’t move them. Think am I missing something? I guess it’s time to call Jet? I’d return, but after I bought it, it sat because we learned we were being relocated, and now it’s 11 months in and I’m just now getting a chance to try it and have had many unsuccessful attempts.

Thanks.

-- There are many tempting parking places on the road to success

#13 posted 03-29-2010 08:04 PM

Rick,

There IS a trick to moving the tables on this combo machine, but mine was good out of the box. I’m sure I read somewhere (actually a few comments up the list now that I look) that Jet has instructions for this that did not come in the box.

As far as your infeed table, I might try adding a washer (or two) to the screws for a little more tightness (that is if I am understanding your problem correctly).

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile

TopamaxSurvivor

#14 posted 08-15-2010 06:42 AM

Kerry Drake, what do you think of it now?? thx for the info.

#15 posted 08-15-2010 01:03 PM

Now I would say, IF I had more room in my shop and IF I had twice the money, separate machines would perform better. However, for the amount of milling I do (only two projects in the 6 months sense I got it) it’s a fine LIGHT DUTY machine.