Happy about this Purchase!

Review by cFurnitureGuy posted 03-01-2010 01:28 AM 5785 views 1 time favorited 39 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Happy about this Purchase! Happy about this Purchase! Happy about this Purchase! Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased the Rikon 14’ Ultimate Bandsaw during the Woodcraft 2 day sale this past weekend. So far i couldnt be happier with this purchase! Before i bought this saw all i had was a small Craftsman bench top BS from the 80’s so this is a night and day comparison…. although i have used several other BSs in the past.
This review is just an overview of my experience… i agree with all the pros and stats on the other reviews so i wont recap them again!

Purchase: Like i said i bought the saw at Woodcraft during thier 10% off 2 day sale which lowered the cost and allowed me to splurge on a couple other accessories. I also bought the Carter Guide Kit and a Timberwolf 1/2” blade to replace the Stock blade which is crap! Both the new blade and the Carter Kit where also on sale!

Assembly: Assembly for me was a breeze!! When i stopped by the store on friday they had 3 in stock and one floor display. When i went back on Saturday they had sold the 2 in stock and the floor display! The salesman had just finished up assembling the last one they had…. so all i had to do was take it home!

When i got it home i put it on a mobile base i already had and then went back through the assembly manual step by step double checking what the salesman had already done. Just to check for loose bolts and make fine adjustments. Overall he did a pretty good job.. only a couple bots that werent very tight!

Then i installed the Carter Guide Kit (on sale as well)... the kit went together without any problems! i would have purchased the New Carter Micro Adjustment kit but they didnt have it in stock because it was brand new so they would have had to special order it and i have problem with “instant gratification”!

One problem i did have was when i tightened the bolts that hold the fence rail to the table…. it raised the end of the fence up about a 1/4”.... it was an easy fix though! i just put a washer under the fence where it bolts to the clamp and added 2 longer bolts! i am not going to worry too much about that one! You can see the fence in the pictures above..

Overall: Like i said i couldnt be happier with this purchase! I havent found any issuse other than the fence which was an easy fix and im not worried about because i will most likely upgrade the fence or build my own later! Based on Price,Horsepower(1.5HP)and Resaw Height, I dont think you can beat this BS! I only have 120/20amp in my garage and it doesnt dim the lights or trip the breaker even under load! i made several quick cuts and resawed a piece of 5 inch ash i had laying around so i havent yet run it through its paces yet so i cant give you a full review, but i will keep you posted on any updates.

View PineInTheAsh's profile

PineInTheAsh

401 posts in 1933 days

#1 posted 03-01-2010 01:41 AM

The review talks about price, but does not give the price.
Why do reviews on LJs continue to refuse to reveal the the MSRP and the price reviewer paid?
The cost of an item is one of the most important aspects of the review and buying decision process.
Until the reviews include costs/prices, all reviews are incomplete, near worthless and crapworth.

Justin, you did a good job but came up seriously short. Unfortunately, just like many other reviewers on LJ.

Best,
Peter

#2 posted 03-01-2010 01:48 AM

sorry! i didnt realize this was such an issue! $715.00 is what i paid…. hope that helps!
i think posting the price is not really that important unless its an on going sale… or marked down somewhere! prices can vary from region to region!
a 2 day sale with 10% off doesnt really help anyone when its over!

sorry…. just my opinion!

View thewoodmaster's profile

thewoodmaster

#3 posted 03-01-2010 03:04 AM

pineintheash is living up to his name! can’t wait to get my hands on one of these saws!

-- dan "insert pithy woodworking coment here"

View steve3604's profile

steve3604

#4 posted 03-01-2010 03:19 AM

Got one couple years back and love it, but ya gotta chuck that dreadful blade and put on a timberwolf.

Steve, Indiana

View Sawdust4Blood's profile

Sawdust4Blood

#5 posted 03-01-2010 03:28 AM

My envy has me greener than the finish on your saw. Congrats and I look forward to hearing more as you get a chance to use it. I’ve been wanting one of these for quite a while but am forced to live vicariously through others until I get the chance to get my own.

-- Greg, Severn MD

View Lenny's profile

Lenny

#6 posted 03-01-2010 04:22 AM

Nice review Justin and good luck with the saw. Lucky you, for not having to lift the saw onto the cabinet. I had to solicit the assistance of a college-age neighbor! Got mine at Woodcraft too. Not sure I will ever use the light. To date it hasn’t even had a bulb in it. Welcome to the 10-325 family! By the way, I also went from a benchtop BS and never knew about releasiing the tension on the blade. I learned on Lumberjocks that it should be released each time you finish with the machine.

-- On the eighth day God was back in His woodworking shop! Lenny, East Providence, RI

View Hoakie's profile

Hoakie

#7 posted 03-01-2010 07:09 AM

Great news, glad everything worked out well and hope you continue to be happy with your decision.

-- John H. [To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. ~Edison]

View FrankoManini's profile

FrankoManini

#8 posted 03-01-2010 07:45 AM

I have this saw and it rocks. You will love it more and more every time you fire it up. One thing I would like to know is which Carter accessory did you get (Part #??). The stock guides are a bit difficult to fine tune. That’s the only thing I would complain about. But worth every penny and blows the competition away.

-- - If my wife asks, I got ALL of my tools on sale.

View WoodSpanker's profile

WoodSpanker

519 posts in 2057 days

#9 posted 03-01-2010 08:27 AM

Hope it cuts wood as much as it beautifies your shop.

-- Adventure? Heh! Excitement? Heh! A Woodworker craves not these things!

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

#10 posted 03-01-2010 03:07 PM

I took a hard look at this saw before I bought my 18” Jet. This Rikon has to be one of the best 14” resaw machines there is. I like the fact that you do not need a riser block with this machine to have real resaw capacity.

View Viking's profile

Viking

#11 posted 03-01-2010 03:52 PM

Justin;

I have the Rikon BS and, like Franko’s comment above, it gets better everytime I use it. This has been a real learning experieince as this is my first bandsaw. Don’t know how I have got along without one for so long.

I have not had any issue with the stock guides at all. You will really like the Timberwolf Blades.

Thanks for the great review Justin and don’t worry about the “critics”.

Good Luck!

-- Rick Gustafson - Lost Creek Ranch - Colorado County, Texas

View SPalm's profile

SPalm

#12 posted 03-01-2010 04:18 PM

I also have this saw and love it. It is my second BS, and is just a pleasure to use.

I also think that reporting the price paid should not be a big deal, or even mentioned. I don’t see why Pine constantly asks this question when google will answer it quicker. It seems to be a big deal to him, and belittles everyone who doesn’t agree.

I am glad that you like it. The Carter kit sounds interesting. I did not know they made one for this machine.

Thanks for the review,
Steve

-- -- I'm no rocket surgeon

#13 posted 03-01-2010 04:36 PM

Thank guys for the support and feedback!

here is the Carter Kit that i purchased at Woodcraft… they also came out with a new kit that has fine adjustments here is the link

i have heard that the stock guides were a pain to adjust…. since the Carter Kit was on sale i decided to give them a try… and after installing it an playing around with the adjustment i cant complain! they are pretty easy to setup!

View SPalm's profile

SPalm

#14 posted 03-01-2010 04:55 PM

Thanks for the links. Those look sweet.

This was the first time I had a saw with the blade tension remover lever. As you know it is in back of the machine, and not easily apparent to you that you left it un-tensioned. To remind myself that it is not tensioned, I attach a bright orange spring clamp to the blade when I leave the machine in this state. It works as a great and easy reminder to me to not turn it on without re-tensioning the blade.

Steve

-- -- I'm no rocket surgeon

#15 posted 03-01-2010 04:57 PM

thats a great idea! will do that SPalm!
i know that as mucha s i remember the tension is not on i will forget! i would rather not forget!