GMC ROS, seems pretty goood from my limited experience

Review by Andrew posted 02-28-2010 04:54 PM 1405 views 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
GMC ROS, seems pretty goood from my limited experience GMC ROS, seems pretty goood from my limited experience GMC ROS, seems pretty goood from my limited experience Click the pictures to enlarge them

This was on sale at rockler I think in November, Got it for $20 plus tax. I have had my fair share of problems with cheap power tools, but for $20 you probably cant go wrong as long as your expectations are realistic.
I have never used a Random Orbit Sander before so my experience is limited, but it does a good job, it removes material quickly, and leaves a nice surface ( swirl free) It does bog down ( still oscillates, but doesn’t rotate) with too much pressure, but I suspect they all do that. Some easier than others. It comes with an assortment of sanding discs, they should be thrown out. These discs wear out in about a minute and a half, good discs last at least 30 minutes of straight sanding.
Discs are easy to change, it has hook and loop pad. The holes are pretty easy to line up.
The trigger switch works well, there is a button for locking it “ON” works well, and the speed wheel works well, it will bog down easier the slower you go. There are a couple of holding methods, 2 hands and one handed using the top as a hand hold, all are comfortable.
The only real problem is that the collection bag gets in the way, and the inner support has broken off,Cheap plastic, leaving the bag limp.
I have used it a lot in the last couple of months and I feel I have gotten my moneys worth at this point. Any life left will be considered a bonus ( I mean for $20).
Someday I will plunk down $100 for a better ROS but this one works well enough for me.

-- Even a broken clock is right twice a day, unless, it moves at half speed like ....-As the Saw Turns

View Andrew's profile

Andrew

View carter choate's profile

carter choate

#1 posted 03-01-2010 02:58 PM

thanks for the review. i have limited funds for tools and i need one of these. good info. is always appreciated.

-- poor folks have poor ways-m. choate

View dannymac's profile

dannymac

#2 posted 03-02-2010 07:55 PM

hey for $20 if ya got a whole day of sanding for it it was worth it. anything longer is a bonus

-- dannymac