New No 93, rabbet, chisel plane

Review by Andrew posted 02-28-2010 04:33 PM 2796 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
New No 93, rabbet, chisel plane New No 93, rabbet, chisel plane No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is my first good plane, in fact it cost more than my 3 other planes all together. I needed a plane that could get into corners, and trim along edges. I wanted to get the 92 it had a 3/4” width as opposed to the 93 with a 1” width, but the 92 was on back order until mid april. My needs are my needs so here goes the 93.

It took only a couple of minutes to flatten the back of the iron and hone the edge. The bottom seems pretty flat. After a couple minutes of set up and adjustments it was in use, then more adjustments. In the second picture you can clearly see two screws, the bigger one holds the top/ front in place and the smaller on in front holds the iron and chipper. That screw must be loosened to make any adjustments to the iron depth and its angle to the bottom (square) when tightening it will shift a little so you kind of have to lead it or plan for the shift a little.
Once set up it makes great shavings and leaves a very clean path in its wake. I am very happy with this plane. It will save me from sanding out stuff with a block of wood. Take the top/ front off and you have a chisel plane, that gets right into the corners and along edges, this is also a great time saver for me.
The top locks back on with the bigger screw and sits in a track that keeps it where it needs to be, level with the back, it will also adjust the length of the mouth, depending on the amount of material you want to remove per pass. It will not close to the point that you hit the edge on the iron, meaning you don’t have to be super careful putting it back together.
It is fairly comfortable in the hand, more so as a rabbet plane than a chisel plane, but still comfortable, and as a chisel plane you probably use that less, most of the time anyway.
Again a little expensive, but much cheaper than a veritas. The only other planes I have are a Buck bros. mini block plane (2”) a cheap stanley 6” block plane, and a 9” grizzly smoothing plane, all three cost about $80. This specialty plane works great and I feel it is a good investment for me.

-- Even a broken clock is right twice a day, unless, it moves at half speed like ....-As the Saw Turns

View Andrew's profile

Andrew

709 posts in 1950 days

View WayneC's profile

WayneC

#1 posted 02-28-2010 04:37 PM

Thanks for the review Andrew. Are you going to buy the 92 as well?

-- We must guard our enthusiasm as we would our life - James Krenov

View Andrew's profile

Andrew

709 posts in 1950 days

#2 posted 02-28-2010 05:24 PM

Not at this time, I got what I needed, so I will move on to other tools, as the budget permits. I just though the 3/4” would be more versatile in my woodworking.

View bigike's profile (online now)

bigike

4035 posts in 2040 days

#3 posted 02-28-2010 05:38 PM

i have a few hand and block planes for trade in the forums if your interested? two #5’s one #6 and two block planes both are from craftsman but work like a block plane should.

-- Ike, Big Daddies Woodshop, http://www.icombadaniels@yahoo.com

View Sawdust4Blood's profile

Sawdust4Blood

#4 posted 02-28-2010 05:45 PM

Thanks for the review. I’ve been hankering after one of the 92s for a while now myself. At over $100 for a hand tool, it’s nice to have the validation of other users.

-- Greg, Severn MD

View Shopsmithtom's profile

Shopsmithtom

#5 posted 03-02-2010 01:11 AM

I bought my 92 used (but really not) on ebay & saved a bit, so don’t overlook that as a source, and I agree that it’s a nice plane & works well. Good review. -SST

-- Accuracy is not in your power tool, it's in you

View dannymac's profile

dannymac

#6 posted 03-02-2010 07:59 PM

thanks for the info, always looking to increase my tool collection and this looks useful

-- dannymac