Porter-Cable 10" Job Site table saw

Review by LafayetteJack posted 1645 days ago 26400 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Porter-Cable 10" Job Site table saw No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Review of the PorterCable PCB220 Job site saw.

I am a relative newcomer to woodworking and the only comparison I have for this saw is my old Delta Shopmaster TS200. So as they say…your mileage may vary.

Specs from the Lowes website (I have not been able to find this saw on the PorterCable site):
UL Safety Listing No CSA Safety Listing Yes ETL Safety Listing No
Blade Size (Inches) 10.0 Arbor Size (Inches) 0.625
Drive Motor System Direct Amps 15.0
Bevel Capacity (Degrees) 45.0
Aluminum Table top
Table Dimensions (Length) 25.0” (Width) 19.5”
Spindle Lock No
Dust Chute Yes
Warranty (Parts) Three Years
Max. Depth at 45 Degrees 2.5 ” Max. Depth at 90 Degrees 3.0 ”
Left Rip Capacity 10.0” Right Rip Capacity 24.5”
Blade Speed (RPM) 5000

I purchased the saw from Lowes for $299.00 in mid February. Assembly was straight forward. I did like the fact that the instructions referred to Bag A, Bag B, etc. for the needed hardware. Although the bags were not labeled it was easy to determine which bag to use and all the pieces for that step were in that bag. No sorting through a pile of nuts, bolts, and washers trying to find the one that matches the picture.

I had to do very little tweaking of the saw. The stops for vertical and 45 within .1 degree according to my Wixey digital meter. I did not try to get any close since I usually set all my angles and check for vertical with my meter each time I use the saw. The fence was dead on.

I have not had much of a chance to use it but I did run some 1.5 thick maple stock through it and it was much better than the Delta. Smooth and quick with no vibration.

Things I like: The PorterCable saw has standard miter slots. My Delta had proprietary miter slots that would not allow me to use any accessories made for the standard miter slots.

It is easy to set up and take down and is solid when set up. There are places to store the fence, miter gauge, wrenches, blades, and the blade guard so everything is kept on-board while transporting the saw. The legs fold up to be used as handles when rolling the saw and fold down flat against the saw for storage.

Both the blade height and the angle settings are done with hand wheels so fine adjustments are much easier to make.

The blade guard is easy to install and remove without tools

The right side table extends to rip boards up to 24.4 inches wide. It also has an outfeed support that slides out to provide a small bit of support.

Things that could be improved: The power switch is small and not real easy to find. I don’t think this is an unusal problem for this category of saws, but one I think they should address.

There is a metal tab that measures about 2” x 1” that you must lift out of the way to unlatch the stand when you want to fold it up. A nice safety feature to keep you from accidentally folding up the stand, but it has some sharp edges and I found it a bit difficult to lift the tab and operate the latch.

A plastic shroud around the bottom of the blade and a port in the back provide sawdust collection. The port is an odd size that does not fit a standard 2.5” hose. I happened to have a 2.5” connector so sanded down one end to fit in the port and this allowed me to attach my shop vac. With that done the collection was adequate – at least it is better than my Delta.

Overall I would give this saw 4 stars. My biggest complaint being the small power switch. Once spring arrives and I have a chance to give it a better workout I will see if I am still as happy.

I hope this is useful.

Lafayette Jack

-- LafayetteJack

View LafayetteJack's profile

LafayetteJack

View Millo's profile

Millo

Cool—please let us know about it s accuracy using, stability of the fence, precision of miter gauge, etc. Thanks!

View WoodSpanker's profile

WoodSpanker

519 posts in 2027 days

yeah, how accurate a cut can you get on that? I might consider this beastie if the specs look good.

-- Adventure? Heh! Excitement? Heh! A Woodworker craves not these things!

View wmlaveck's profile

wmlaveck

This would be an almost perfect saw if they used a standard throat plate, one that can be easily duplicated for making 0 clearance plates. However, they use a plate that is more like the ones found on $150 tables. These are not easy, if impossible, to duplicate.

-- If I ever turn up missing, check the garage.

View dakremer's profile

dakremer

I know this is an old post, But I am looking for a “job site” table saw since I am short on room. After all this time, how is the saw holding up? I was thinking about going for the Dewalt job site saw (their fence is…..amazing) but its $369 and it doesnt come with a stand. I saw the Porter Cable table saw and it looks really nice. Do you know if it takes a dado blade? Is it accurate? Thanks alot – this will definitely help me decide which to get!!

Doug

-- Hey you dang woodchucks, quit chucking my wood!!!!

View flipt's profile

flipt

Quick question, I went out and purchased this saw over the weekend and just had a chance to break it out of the box and get it setup last night. I noticed the angle adjustment crank seems to operate very smoothly but the vertical adjustment is somewhat “clunky” when lowering or raising the blade. It operates fine but again sounds “clunky”. It just seems the two gears are not seated very tightly together. Is this normal? I’ve never owned a table saw prior to this and didn’t know if for some reason that is the way it should be…

View LafayetteJack's profile

LafayetteJack

Sorry I took so long to reply to your post dakremer, hope I am not too late. The saw is holding up well. It is sure accurate enough for me. The manual says it will take a 6” dado blade but I don’t have one yet.

Flipt – My adjustments are very smooth. I can hear the gears but it is not what I would call “clunky”

So far I am still happy with the saw but will echo wwlaveck – a standard throat plate would be a great improvement.

-- LafayetteJack

View flipt's profile

flipt

After a few manual adjustments it seems to be better… thx for the input…

View dclinks's profile

dclinks

This saw is very good…i just wish it was easier to pull on its wheels…unless im doinf something wrong :).. 4.5 out of 5

View Bradpaulp's profile

Bradpaulp

I just picked this saw up and very happy with it minus the weird insert plate. Anyone ever make a zci for this? Be very happy to see results and how you did it.