Small sander that does a big job

Review by Sawdust4Blood posted 1609 days ago 3628 views 2 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Small sander that does a big job No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought one of these because I was looking for a detail sander that could get me into the corners of furniture projects. But since I make sawdust almost every weekend, I was looking for something that was going to last. I had looked around at a lot of other detail sanders and they all struck me as cheap flimsy things designed to be used on one or two projects then forgotten or thrown away. I also considered a couple of the multi-function tools for their utility but sanding was more important to me since that was what I would primarily be using it for. Ultimately I ruled out the multi-function tools since they were either too light duty in design or much more expensive. Additionally, this sander is an orbital while those only oscillate meaning you’re less likely to be left with sander marks. When I bought it, I opted not to get the dust collection attachment due to poor reviews from other prior purchasers.

On first use it became clear that this sander may be small in size but it is a heavy duty performer. It makes sawdust and is quick about it. I knew right away that I was going to have to find an answer to the dust collection issue and soon or my lungs were going to be full of termites dining on the wood inside. It sands aggressively but leaves a fine finish with 200 or higher grit paper. In the end, I purchased a Ridgid universal dust collection adapter that fit well with the tool and my shop vac. With the vac attached, dust collection is as good as any other sander I have. I honestly haven’t used the little fingers other than to play with them and I’ll likely continue to sand profiles by hand but the ability to reach in tight spaces might come in handy if you’re refinishing. At $110 it ain’t the cheapest sander on the market but but then again cheap tools almost always seem to end up costing more in the end. Overall I’m very happy with this purchase and it has quickly become a “go to” tool.

View jim C's profile

jim C

I’ve version had an earlier version of that sander for at least 7-8 years and I gotta tell ya, it just keeps on going and going. I reach for it anytime I’m working in corners or french windows, etc.
Great tool.

View PineInTheAsh's profile

PineInTheAsh

Greg,
A special thanks for at least showing a price. Seems many LJ reviews want to keep pricing a state secret.

Was $110 the MSRP? What did you pay? You don’t specify.

Thanks,
Peter

Sawdust4Blood

$110 was my cost from Amazon shipping included.

111999 posts in 2175 days

View araldite's profile

araldite

187 posts in 2002 days

I also have an older version of that Bosch for many years and I’ve never had any trouble with it. It still works like new.

View Jim Bertelson's profile

Jim Bertelson

Appreciate the review. After buying a Bosch Router Kit 1617 EVSPK on an emergency basis, I am looking at that brand for my next sander, also. The Bosch Router so far is performing beyond my expectations. There is also a PC sander reviewd on LJ that has a good rep. I have this ancient Hitachi 1/2 sheet orbital, 17 years old. I certainly am not waiting for it to die to buy a new sander. I am convinced that Hitachi will survive anything except a sludge hammer or a direct hit from an RPG.

I don’t think they sell a quality sander locally but I may look around. I definitely need a detail sander. If I don’t see anything locally soon I will order. So thanks for the info.

-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska

Sawdust4Blood

I also have a Bosch Colt palm router and love it. Just exactly the right tool for lots of light duty jobs where a full size router is just extra weight to control. I’m a fan of PC sanders as well. I have a PC random orbit sander that has been running strong for 15 years (eventually I had to replace the foam hook/loop pad after about 13 years but that was cuz the foam dried out and started to crumble). I’d say that you’ll likely be happy with either so it may be a matter of personal preference on ergonomics/features.

View Jim Bertelson's profile

Jim Bertelson

Thanks Greg, I am favoriting this review so I can find it when I decide to purchase…...........

-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska