New Sander - Huge Help

Review by Troy posted 1607 days ago 4608 views 0 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
New Sander - Huge Help New Sander - Huge Help New Sander - Huge Help Click the pictures to enlarge them

The sander I am reviewing is the new oscillating version, 22-44 Plus ODS.

I was able to save a few hundred ordering and shipping through a freight forwarder myself, instead of using a local retailer. I try to help local businesses when I can, but when they don’t want to work with me, it’s difficult. It always irks me when a retailer tells me they don’t have the item in stock, (either out or don’t stock them in general), but that “they can order it for me.” Really?! Wow, neat. Wait… I can order it for me too! There’s this great thing out there called the internet and…oh well, I digress </rant>

So back to the point of this review.

The first image of the piece of walnut is with the oscillator disengaged. The second one is with it engaged. Both were with 80-grit sandpaper. The second image was one light pass after the first.

Besides a slight required adjustment with the conveyor belt tracking (shipped purposely tight), the machine required no other adjustments and as far as I can tell, it’s parallel. This machine is wonderful. The upper drum head assembly sits on a very thick, solid steel upper base. The base of the head assembly has dovetail-type slots on the sides which the upper head assembly glides on. Watching it operate, the thing just looks solid and smooth as possible. The conveyor feed rate is variable also, with a little red light that fluctuates to indicate too much stress.

The base was easy to assemble; took about 15 minutes. The drum head assembly is very heavy, about 250 lbs. A friend of mine came over to help lift it. We put it on a cart about half the height of the base first. Then lifted it the rest of the way easily. 4 bolts on the underside and it was attached to the base in about 2 minutes. The conveyor table attached with 4 allen bolts and went on perfectly without an issue, in about 1 minute.

Before doing this, I built a mobile base for it. Unfortunately, it’s a bit of a weird shape, and there was nothing in town that would work except a kit that uses hardwood. It’s pretty long; about 45 inches. I used purpleheart for the mobile base kit arms all around, at 1.5” sq thick each. Yeah, that’s not a lot of stock for a 45” long arm with 350 lbs on it. The kit said max was 300 lbs for safety. After all is said and done…it works. I can move it. It ain’t pretty, but it works. I will likely order a proper base for it in the future.

Beyond that, the machine is just wonderful. It’s intuitive, solid and accurate. Going from the jointer, to the planer, to this sander makes work flow pleasantly complete. Couldn’t be more pleased with this purchase.

-- Troy Bouffard || Master Sergeant, US Army (Retired) || http://www.birchhillwoodcrafts.com

View grizzman's profile

grizzman

6771 posts in 1900 days

nice sander troy….have you posted any shop pictures yet…im going to go see..dont remember seeing it…hope all is well there in the land of the frozen chosen…

-- GRIZZMAN ...[''''']

Troy

Griz, almost. In a couple weeks after I get my new Jointer, I will be posting a complete shop tour, hopefully on our new website.
Ever think of coming back to Alaska?

View grub32's profile

grub32

Nice review… I am very interested in seeing this info….I wanna get one so bad…going to have to start saving.

Thanks,

Grub

-- Science Teacher by Day, Wood Butcher by Night!!

View Jim Bertelson's profile

Jim Bertelson

Don’t think something like this will ever be in my life, but it is an interesting review. I am like you, if I can work with the local people fine, but I don’t use them as a forwarder, I buy on the internet if it is not available locally. Usually, I can do at least as well locally if it is stock, especially if it is on sale, and then I save the wait and the shipping.

-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska

Troy, thanks for the review. I have been looking at these for some time and have been wanting to put one of these in my shop for some time now. All I have to do is get an advance on my allowance from my wife. (deep sigh) :)

Seriously, this review has been helpful. I have never used a drum sander before and I am sure, like Barry said, I am going to wonder why I waited so long to put one in my shop.

View tooldad's profile

tooldad

how does the smaller motor work? The grizzly sanders have a 3hp or 5hp motors. The one I looked at last year only had 1 1/2 hp. I was going to CL my grizzly 24 and get that one. However once I saw the motor size, I thought twice. Did I go wrong? They were on sale for $1200. Probably wasn’t the oscillating, didn’t even know they made that style.

Troy

Thanks for the comments guys. Hope the info helps.

As for the motor, I am not the least bit concerned about lack of power. I go from the planer or glue-up right to the sander with light passes in general. I do very minimal thickness sanding, if ever. There is plenty of HP for that use. My supplier has a huge (54”+) wide belt sander for any of my odd sanding needs at a very reasonable rate.

View tooldad's profile

tooldad

I have the grizzly 24 drum sander. I also have the 13” dewalt planer. I use the planer for all thicknessing. I only use the drum sander for sanding wide panels for raised panels even. I usually plane them to 13/16” so that I only have a few light passes through the sander to even up the boards and retain the 3/4” thickness.

Thanks for the info on the jet.

View IowaWoodcrafter's profile

IowaWoodcrafter

I have the non oscillating version of this sander and love it. So far I’ve only used it for making my own veneer/inlay material. I haven’t used it for sanding any project work yet.

-- Owen Johnson - aka IowaWoodcrafter

View Greg The Cajun Box Sculptor's profile

Greg The Cajun Box Sculptor

4930 posts in 1905 days

I also have the 22-44 in the non oscillating version. I Bought it back in November and have used it alot, more than I thought I would. You mentioned in your review about having to build a mobile base. My model came with built in wheels that I found to be great. I did not realize it when i bought it and I was pleasantly surprised about not having to get a mobile base.
You can buy the rolls of sandpaper at Industrial Abrasives for much less that the Jet paper and it is excellent quality.
Have fun sanding.

-- Every step of each project is considered my masterpiece because I want the finished product to reflect the quality of my work.

View Russ's profile

Russ

I will be by to look at your new toy! Troy is right, recently purchased a lt15 and got it delivered for 200 less by not using the locals. So got 10 extra blades with the 200.

-- Happiness is being covered in sawdust

111999 posts in 2174 days

congrats on the new tool.

View bvdon's profile

bvdon

““they can order it for me.” Really?! Wow, neat. Wait… I can order it for me too!”

Too funny…. I feel the same way. Hey, I’m here and I want it now. If I have to wait, then I can get it cheaper elsewhere.

-- http://woodwork.me

View Jonathan Alson's profile

Jonathan Alson

I really love this unit, you can check out my review here: drum sander reviews

The oscillation is a fantastic (all be it relatively new) feature, and it DOES make the difference.