Thomas J MacDonalds 2nd Video, Shaker Inspired Step Stool

Review by Karson posted 02-25-2010 11:47 PM 1953 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Thomas J MacDonalds 2nd Video, Shaker Inspired Step Stool No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Thomas MacDonald has created his second Video. It’s available on his web site for $40.00 (Price change $30.00) and a package deal with DVD #1.

This stool is Shaker inspired and it’s presented in the typically Tommy style. He’s recording this in real time and because he’s working with wood, there are no do-overs. He’s showing you how to hand cut dovetails and he tells you not to make a mistake and then he does it and says that’s not what you are suppose to do.

At other times he makes a mistake on purpose to show you also what you are not suppose to do. His point is “Try not to make mistakes, but if you do keep on a going.

I told Tommy that I was going to make this stool as part of my review of the dvd, but the cold weather and the cold shop has kept that from occurring.

Since the kitchen cabinets in my house go to the ceiling I would need to make this stool three steps high. And to me 10” to the first step might give my wife a little problem, so I’d make two smaller steps with a stabalizer at the top.

Tommy seems to find some great looking wood for his display pieces and this one is no exception, Some great looking curly Cherry with some sap wood matching on the upper and lower step sides. Very classy.

It doesn’t seem to be a hard project to make depending upon your skills of hand cut dovetails.

The piece has Stretchers on the front have a 1/2 Dovetail (which is not half-blind) and the back stretcher has a full dovetail. This helps to lock the sides in.

The DVD comes with the video and also a PDF file of the plans. My estimation is about 8-10 BD Ft of lumber to make the stool. 21” high, 21” wide and 15” deep. That’s the approximate measurement.

I thourghly enjoyed the DVD and I believe I’ll enjoy making the stool. Probably some Burly Maple for the sides and Ambrosia Maple for the steps.

View degoose's profile

degoose

7012 posts in 2008 days

#1 posted 02-25-2010 11:53 PM

Nice review on the DVD Karson..look forward to seeing you take on this classic..

-- Drink twice... and don't bother to cut... @ lazylarrywoodworks.com.au For lovers of all things timber...

View lew's profile

lew

#2 posted 02-25-2010 11:54 PM

Great review, Karson!

Sounds like your stool would make any Shaker jealous!

Lew

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View Grumpy's profile

-- Grumpy - "Always look on the bright side of life"- Monty Python

View dustyal's profile

dustyal

#4 posted 02-26-2010 01:25 AM

... and good project for ANOTHER MDWW workshop? Nice review…

p.s. can’t believe this weather we are having… and more rain, snow, wind in the forecast… I’m not doing woodwork because my basement sump is filling up and pumping every 60 seconds… concerned electric will go out and I’m in for a flood. I wouldn’t want saw dust and wood scraps floating around adding to what would be a disaster… Most tools are high off the floor…

-- Al H. - small shop, small projects...

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile

TopamaxSurvivor

#5 posted 02-26-2010 04:08 AM

Good review Karson. Did you think of making 2 and setting one on top of the other :-))

#6 posted 02-26-2010 05:53 AM

I don’t know if my wife would be survivor after that.

But thanks for the suggestion.

112087 posts in 2231 days

#7 posted 02-26-2010 07:17 AM

Super review Karson. I guess you know all the woodworkers who sell videos?

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile

TopamaxSurvivor

#8 posted 02-26-2010 10:18 AM

Topamax might still be slightly affecting my judgement ;-)

View PineInTheAsh's profile

PineInTheAsh

401 posts in 1922 days

#9 posted 02-28-2010 01:07 AM

Karson,
A big and genuine thank you for including the price in your excellent review.
Too many LJ reviews do not include the MSRP and what they paid for the item. One of the most important aspects of any item and LJ reviewers (I applaud their time and efforts) continue to leave off this key info.

Why is this? Tell me where I’m wrong or what I’m missing.

Best,
Peter

#10 posted 02-28-2010 01:55 AM

Mayby It was a gift. Maybe they bought it a long time ago.

But that is an important item in a review.