Wixey Saw Fence Digital Readout - Installation review

Review by sIKE posted 2349 days ago 5741 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Wixey Saw Fence Digital Readout  - Installation review Wixey Saw Fence Digital Readout  - Installation review Wixey Saw Fence Digital Readout  - Installation review Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have really been wanting one of these and I got it for my birthday yesterday. Was excited and got out late this morning and got started on the install. The first picture shows everything that came in the box. Well almost everything, it was missing one of the sensor strips. So my simple two hour install telescoped out within the first 20 minutes. So after an 1:30 minute round trip to Woodcraft to exchange it out. I was able start the install again. Assembly is simple and straight forward, the instructions provided are clear and concise. I did bump in to one major problem. Once I had everything together I did not have enough clearance between the bottom of my fence and the Wixey’s rail. So yet another trip to Home Depot, aka Mr. Depot as anyone who takes that much money from me I call Mr., some longer carriage bolts, lock washers, flat washers, and nuts resolved the issue as you can see in picture #2. So 5 hours later picture #3 show my new Digital fence installed and working.

Note the DW746 has round style rails which probably caused my problem. I had to go out to www.wixey.com and look at the FAQ which states “Round rail fences may require some extra spacers or brackets to be made, or possible just some extra holes drilled in the track to line up with existing holes in the rail mounting.”

All in all I am happy to have this installed but it took much longer than it should have. Therefore the 3 star rating is for the install itself. I will use this for a couple weeks then post a review of the product itself.

-- //FC - Round Rock, TX - "Experience is what you get just after you need it"

View sIKE's profile

sIKE

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

Nice review. Too bad that you had spend so much time and trouble installing it.

View cajunpen's profile

cajunpen

Nice review The Wixey products are great – wish they had one of these to fit my Bosch TS

-- Bill - "Suit yourself and let the rest be pleased." http://www.cajunpen.com/

Nice review. I really like my angle gauge and planar readout. I have been considering getting one of these as well.

View mars's profile

mars

Hi everybody
I have also bought this fence, ad a little problem setting it up, first change was the readout witch was ok and finally ended up by changing the sensor strips, now with the new ones it is dead on.
What I can say is that the service and communication from Wixey is just great, I know that sometime we want it to work just out of the box but sometime, it just don’t work out that way and here come in the after sale service.
By the way I’m from Canada and all the new parts was ship by USPS no charge
This is why I rate it 5 Star
Service Service Service

View dickvn's profile

dickvn

Thanks for the post. I’ll look forward to your review, after you’ve had some experience with it.

-- dickvn,Virginia,vannierop@urgrad.rochester.edu

View motthunter's profile

motthunter

I finally got mine installed. It was easier than I thought and it works great. It is almost more accurate than necessary. I really like it.

-- making sawdust....

View sIKE's profile

sIKE

I really got to put it though its paces a couple of weeks ago. What I like the most is that I a able to come back and reset up and previous setup and reproduce the same exact cut. The other thing I really like is being able to zero it off of an auxiliary fence, it reallyy helps with the placement of dadoes in pannels.

-- //FC - Round Rock, TX - "Experience is what you get just after you need it"