New Splitter From the St. Louis WW Show

Review by John Gray posted 02-25-2010 06:12 AM 3462 views 1 time favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
New Splitter From the St. Louis WW Show New Splitter From the St. Louis WW Show New Splitter From the St. Louis WW Show Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased this at the WW show a couple of weeks ago and it works great. I still treat the saw with all the due caution I did before the splitter installation. Use and follow all the safety precautions outlined in your saw’s manual.
I’m going to post below the information provided by the company that made it’s web site.

Our New MJ Splitter™ SteelPRO is constructed from a 100% polycarbonate shell and reinforced with a solid stainless steel core. Our toughest splitter ever, utilizes the same patented technology of our original MJ Splitters. Furthermore, the SteelPRO employs another groundbreaking innovation for table saw safety and efficacy: The Dual Splitter. This allows the splitters to control the pressure on the keeper piece AND the off-cut piece by the thousands on an inch. This will virtually eliminate any chance of kickback on the table saw and greatly reduce the chance of severing fingers.
Our New splitters are simple to install and simple to use. We include an easy to follow drill-guide template to install the SteelPRO System into your Zero Clearance Insert (ZCI). Keep using the MJ Splitter™ SteelPRO with Plug N’ Play ease. Remount and remove the Splitters in two seconds.

It’s strength and ease of use makes the MJ Splitter™ SteelPRO perfect for table saws that cut heavy-duty solid wood. Make no compromises in quality. Make no compromises in safety.
When ripping solid wood, the wood often has internal stress and will bind the saw blade and the splitter without warning. It is for this reason we introduce our patented automatic Kerf keeper with the MJ Splitter SteelPro. When a wood board begins to create tension and excessive pressure, the Kerf keeper will be pulled out automatically by the closing saw kerf. The Kerf keeper will travel with the pinching kerf and keep it open to reduce stress on the saw blade and the splitter. When you see the Kerf keeper deploy, that’s your sign to turn off the saw blade. Be alert. Be safe.
Double the splitter. Double your safety.
The MJ Splitter SteelPRO offers Dual Splitter™ action. The Dual Splitter approach utilizes our mini-feather board effect to control BOTH sides of the work piece, the keeper piece and the off-cut piece. Each splitter is off-set several thousands of an inch to keep pressure on the keeper piece against the fence and the off-cut piece away from the rear rising teeth of the saw blade. This virtually eliminates any chance of kickback.
Fool-proof installation.
The precision drill-guide system for the MJ Splitter SteelPro makes installation a breeze. We take out the guesswork and even provide the drill-bit for you. The drill template lines up your drill perpendicular to the table saw surface and you can effortlessly drill straight lines into your Zero Clearance Insert (ZCI). The drill-guide’s ingenious design lines up your splitter to plug directly into your ZCI for quick and accurate alignment with your saw blade. Installation is so simple its Fool-proof.
Mini-feather board effect.
Simple, exact, and extremely effective, cutting results are precise and virtually burn free when using the MJ Splitter SteelPro. That’s because our splitter is the only one on the market with the “mini-feather board effect.” Each side of the splitter is offset by several thousands of an inch to give the perfect tolerance and pressure according to your cutting situation. There is a lot of engineering that goes into these little splitters, but we make it easy for you use on your table saw. Just flip the MJ Splitter around with the “plus” signs facing the fence to give your splitter the correct offset. Each “+” sign represent 0.003”; so “+++” equals 0.009”. Precision and safety do come in small packages.
Plug N’ Play.
Our patented MJ Splitter™ SteelPRO system is intended for everyday use on the saw. However, for more intricate operations such as bevel cuts, dado cuts, and other cuts where the MJ Splitter SteelPro may interfere, simply remove it. Micro Jig has designed the splitter to easily be removed for these types of situations. When you’re ready to make a 90 degree cut, just plug the MJ Splitter SteelPRO back in; it’s just that simple. The pre-drilled splitter holes in your ZCI are aligned with your table saw, so no matter how many times you take the splitters out or put them back in the MJ Splitter SteelPro performs as designed—perfectly aligned, every time.
1/8” Kerf MJ Splitter SteelPRO
The (Blue) 1/8” Kerf model MJ Splitter SteelPRO is designed specifically for 1/8” kerf saw blades. Please make sure you are using the correct MJ Splitter model with the appropriate saw blade.

If your not sure what type of saw blade you have, perform this simple test at your shop to find out.
Thin Kerf MJ Splitter SteelPRO
The (Orange) Thin Kerf model MJ Splitter SteelPRO is designed specifically for thin kerf saw blades. Please make sure you are using the correct MJ Splitter model with the appropriate saw blade.

View 559dustdesigns's profile

559dustdesigns

#1 posted 02-25-2010 11:13 AM

Thanks for the review. I have been eye balling this set for a while and might have to get this splitter kit.

-- Aaron - central California "If you haven't got the time to do it right, when will you find the time to do it over?"

View Dennis Fletcher's profile

Dennis Fletcher

#2 posted 02-25-2010 02:37 PM

Nice review, very useful, thanks.

Guess I need to install a splitter on my TS.

-- http://www.ahomespecialist.net, Making design and application one. †

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

#3 posted 02-25-2010 03:06 PM

This is a very informative review. However, I am more interested in your personal experience with the tool other than “works great”. That’s what I come to LJ reviews for.

View PhineasWhipsnake's profile

PhineasWhipsnake

#4 posted 02-26-2010 02:40 AM

I’ve been using the previous all-plastic version of this splitter for about 3 years now. They supply a drilling jig for your throat plate (and the drill bit, too), so after your throat plate is drilled you just plug the splitter into the holes. IMHO, this invention almost negates the need for a riving knife, so I feel pretty safe ripping solid wood now, with no particular desire to upgrade my cabinet saw for that safety feature.

-- Gene T

#5 posted 02-26-2010 09:56 PM

richgreer, I really don’t know what you want me to say besides “it works great” and it does. Not much else to say except you push wood thru it and it keeps the two pieces apart. After getting hit with a piece of wood that was kicked back, one hit me and one stuck in the wall, before I installed this splitter I still push the wood thru using a feather board, behind the blade, and a “push stick” because I do not want even a “one in one thousand” chance of kick back ever. The one drawback I see is the the splitter will not tilt with the blade.

PS – I had more pictures to post but LJ would only allow me to post 3.

View PineInTheAsh's profile

PineInTheAsh

401 posts in 1905 days

#6 posted 02-28-2010 12:48 AM

I’d like you say in your review what the MSRP is and how much you paid for it.

John, I’ve enjoyed your submissions on LJs. Just can’t understand why reviews continue not show the money.
One of the most, if not, the most important aspect to readers of the reviewed item.

Perhaps the Shadow knows, would help if the rest of us did also.

Best,
Peter

#7 posted 02-28-2010 01:31 AM

PineInTheAsh and other interested parties. The Splitter package cost $32.23 including tax, $29.99 before taxes. And I purchased it from Peachtree WW from Atlanta, GA at the St. Louis WWing Show on 2/12/10.

Peachtree’s link to the splitter is:

View Dave's profile

Dave

15 posts in 1981 days

#8 posted 03-04-2010 04:16 PM

John,

Nice review! I see that you too were brave enough to attend the woodworkiing show. What a ZOO!!
The building was way over capacity, they need to move it into a larger hall. The customers were angry because they couldn’t find a place to park, let alone there was no where to move once inside and the vendors were nasty because they were overrun with customers.

I’ve been to many shows but never this one, it was by far the worst and will be my last unless they move it….

David