worksharp 3000

Review by degoose posted 1650 days ago 9511 views 2 times favorited 30 comments Add to Favorites Watch
worksharp 3000 No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I know that there have been a few reviews of this sharpening system… but I got one a while back and I just wanted to review it and let all my fellow Aussies that it is available here now..

This is the easiest way to keep your hand tools…. chisels and plane irons … sharp… Also great for turning tools and carving chisels… curved as well as straight..

“Work Sharp” is an innovative grinding & sharpening system for sharpening Chisels, Plane Blades, Scrapers, Axes and much more with speed & precision. Work Sharp offers 3 easy ways to grind and sharpen: The Chisel and plane iron port, freehand on top for larger flat blade tools, and the Edge-Vision port, which allows you to see the cutting edge of carving tools, lathe tools and more as you sharpen or grind. The 2 sided grinding wheel allows you to quickly and easily switch between coarse and fine abrasive disks.

I had been looking at the Worksharp sharpening system for some time… on the web… I had read every review and watched every video… over and over again. Every one of these reviews was favourable and many of my friends on Lumberjocks have one and have commented on them… I knew i wanted one but it was pointless trying to import one into Australia… different voltage..oh well..back to sandpaper glued to a granite slab..I had even tried all the jigs and stones… but I am not really into all the work that is required… I am after Lazy Larry…as for the water wheels… either they are messy or terribly expensive.. Even though the Worksharp 3000 is a little on the costly side the speed and proficiency of the machine in sharpening all tools with minimum effort makes this worth the money..

And then lo and behold I was looking again and saw that they were being imported into Australia… Industrial Tool & Machinery Sales are Importers & National Wholesalers of a wide range of quality engineering machinery & equipment. So I went to their website and could not find any resellers or prices… So I rang them up to find out where I could buy one of these machines..and how much one would set me back..

.After talking to one of the guys at Industrial Tools, I decided that as a small shop I should probably get the Workshop 3000.. it has a few features not available on the 2000 which is still a great little machine in its own right. At 10 o’clock the very next morning a big courier truck arrived at my workshop with a big box… the Worksharp 3000 was here..Inside the large box was the machine itself, a wide blade attachment for plane irons larger than 2 7/8 inch and all the accessories… 2 glass wheels to atttach the self adhesive sandpaper … a different grit on each of the 4 sides.. a slotted plastic wheel and slotted paper for under the wheel sharpening…curves chisels and gouges…plus several sheet of various grit sandpaper.. and a replacement sheet for the sharpening port.. You can see the ins and outs of this machine on the video

but I will be making a short video when I get my camera.. Just to show how a bloke like me can get chisels scary sharp fast and easily with little if no effort…in almost no time at all…I got one of my trusty rusty old bought at a flea market chisels and after less than 10 minutes had flattened the back and sharpened the chisel so sharp I could shave the hairs on my arm… and it had a mirror finish..and I did not have to do much… the machine seemed to do all the work for me…Just had to turn over the glass wheels a few times and voile done… next came a near new chisel which took so little time to bring it up to par I was really amazed.

-- Drink twice... and don't bother to cut... @ lazylarrywoodworks.com.au For lovers of all things timber...

View degoose's profile

degoose

6999 posts in 1991 days

This is a nice review, Larry. Until I got mine I struggled with getting a sharp edge on my chisels and irons. To me it is the next best thing since sliced bread.

View woodworm's profile

woodworm

I’ve been reading a lot of reviews on this decent sharperner., and mostly or almost all gave a thumb up judgment. However due to motor voltage & frequency issue, I put on hold my decision to buy one. Now I’m in dilemma of choosing between Tormek T-3 Water Cooled Sharpening System and Worksharp 3000. So I’ll be gathering more plus & minus points for these two syatems before I finally make decision.

Thank you Degoose.

-- masrol, kuala lumpur, MY.

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

Good review – thank you. I have a one of these and I agree completely that it is a great way to sharpen chisels and irons.

I will disagree with you on one minor point you made. I do not think this tool is great for curved turning tools (i.e. gouges). There is no way to maintain a consistent bevel with a curved tool. I don’t think it would be very hard to make an accessory for the worksharp that would enable one to sharpen curved tools well. Maybe someone will do that some day.

View patron's profile

patron

13020 posts in 1977 days

ay mate ,
just got me one too .

must say ,
it’s the dingos dingus !

all me tools is SHARP now !

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Beginningwoodworker

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker

View patron's profile

patron

13020 posts in 1977 days

the one thing not mentioned anywhere ,
when i do the first sharpening ,
it takes more to bring it to square ,
i noticed that if you push to much ,
it makes
steel wool , that can spark .

keep it away from open sawdust .

after the initial sharp ,

there is no problem with this ,

just do as they say ,

Great review Larry

Thanks

-- She thought I hung the moon--now she just thinks I did it wrong

GaryBuck

Hey Larry thanks for the post. I was impressed by this set up and I realize it’s for hand tools but was wondering if they have an attachment for saw blades? And it showed using plane blades can you do something larger like a lawn mower blade on this just to get the nicks and such out? And what’s the price for one? Thanks

GaryBuck

I use my grinding wheel for the lawn mower blades but was just courious on that part

View mikethetermite's profile

mikethetermite

429 posts in 1902 days

Great review, looking forward to your video review Larry.

-- Mike The Termite ~~~~~ Working safely may get old, but so do those who practice it.

View reggiek's profile

reggiek

2240 posts in 1906 days

Cool…Larry…glad to hear you guys down there are finally coming into the 21st century….J/K. Great review…I wanted to mention that this month’s Woodcarving Illustrated has a great article on various sharpening systems…and a good one on sharpening tools….I like and use diamond stones myself…but I hear that they have a diamond wheel for the worksharp now? I don’t know if I can change my spots after many years of manual sharpening (I haven’t joined the 21st century either)...but they are getting close to making a machine I might be comfortable with.

-- Woodworking.....My small slice of heaven!

View degoose's profile

degoose

6999 posts in 1991 days

Gary, around US$200 in the states but AU$600 there abouts over here… but then everything that come across the pond is dearer here.. Still and all not bad to get the tools sharp.

GaryBuck

I was shocked by the way it cut across grain like that pretty impressive there it made it look like cutting butter, what about an attachment for like T.S. or skill saw blades is there away of doing those on that? Thanks

View Gary Fixler's profile

Gary Fixler

1000 posts in 2018 days

I’ve had good luck with mine, too. I’ve had it for about a year or so. My biggest trouble up front was that I couldn’t get it square. There’s a way to tilt the ramp you slide chisels into up and down around one edge. I had to set it all the way to one end, and it still seemed just a hair off square. It’s good enough that I don’t really notice anymore, but I wanted to be able to adjust around square, not have to fight up against the edge of the range. I couldn’t find a way to adjust more. There weren’t any things to shim or loosen and tap with a hammer.

Too, as was said before, too much aggressive sharpening will create a kind of steel wool under the wheel in a pocket in the back. I had this catch fire. It’s beautiful to watch, but super hot. Don’t sharpen around flammables or wood dust. The wool fire isn’t so much an open flame as it is an ember that ripples all through the wool like a cooling lava line. Again, pretty, but frightening.

I’ve gotten halfway decent at sharpening curved tools, like bowl gouges under the slotted wheel, which you can see through (better if you shine a bright light down through the slots from above. Oh, and as for the “without losing momentum” statement – quite true. I was filming a time-lapse of some work, and the chisel I was using was dull, so I just walked over to the unit, turned it on, pushed the chisel in a few times like I was sharpening a pencil, and came back to the video I was making probably 30 seconds later. I keep it plugged in and ready to go all the time.

Final note: I’ve used this to bring back a rusting chisel with a point not only very dull, but chipped and badly pitted with little bites taken out of the whole tip. It took a little while, but I have 2 glass wheels with a grit on each side, so I started with the 80 to reshape the tip to sharp and clean again, then worked up to finer grits and got that thing like a razor blade. Yesterday I salvaged a husky scraper tool that I’d left next to 2 gallons of muriatic acid for a few years. It was not just rusted, but chemically rusted. I used a metal wire wheel in my drill press to grind the butt of the tool down to the original metal, then the WS3k to smooth up the faces of the tool, true the edges, and sharpen the tip to a point. It was actually square before, but now it’s like a heavy duty glass scraper. I used it to scrape some labels off of Home Depot wood.

-- Gary, Los Angeles, video game animator

View Craftsman on the lake's profile

Craftsman on the lake

2383 posts in 2074 days

I did a review here awhile back.. still liking mine.