LaserKerf review

Review by williams posted 1513 days ago 3501 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
LaserKerf review LaserKerf review No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Received my LaserKerf today and setup on my Dewalt 705 chop saw. All parts fine. Instructions on small cd and on web site. Special instructions for each supported saw. You need to buy special bracket for each saw per the web site. Good news and some not.

Pros
1) Does what is says. So now my 705 has a laser :-)
2) Setup fairly easy (except below)
3) Could align perfect to 2×4 and laser fills the kerf perfect.
4) Good X alignment
5) Good roll alignment.
6) Safer. Having that line as anothr visual indicator could probably prevent a dump mistake.
7) Works when saw is off, so you can align wood perfect before turning on blade.

Cons
1) Setup. The laser has X adjustment for left and right 1/4” each way of center. So you just need to get close and you can find tune it. Laser also has Roll adjustment, so you plumb the laser with the blade from top to bottom. The pitch is fixed and does not need adjustment. My issue is the Yaw. You need to do this manually and only get one shot to do it perfect first time because the sticky tape is very sticky. Trying to get this angle right bending over a saw needs a steady hand as tiny movements are multiplied.

2) Laser quality. Laser gets a little grainy in spots on mine. Not enouph where you can’t see kerf line, but if your expecting a perfect sold red pin strip, that is not what you get. I guess no consumer lasers do.

I was able to get laser to fit kerf perfect on a 2×4. But because (I only figured this out after tape dried) my Yaw was off, the laser did not hold line as wood increased in thickness. At about 3” thick, my laser goes left off actual kerf. I could live with this, as 99% of the time I cut 1 to 2x lumber. But will bug me until I fix it. I asked for a new piece of tape. I could probably find some 3M somewhere also. I could probably also craft my own bracket that would give me yaw adjustment.

In short, nice unit and does what is claims. For added safety alone, I would recommend it. And it does have a high coolness factor and adds some spice to your trusty saw.

$59.00 direct for web site (plus $4 for your bracket) at http://laserkerf.com

[edit] oh, and that is my knotty pine basement I have working on that never seems to get finished…

williams

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile (online now)

TopamaxSurvivor

Nice review, thanks, Laser sights on saws, next they’ll want them on handguns ;-))

View WistysWoodWorkingWonders's profile

WistysWoodWorkingWonders

hmmm, better to invest in a setup block to add to your fence and do detailed measurements… repeatable and accurate, what more do we need…
I have a laser built into my jig saw and never use it… don’t find them all that practical…
Thanks for the review on this…

-- New Project = New Tool... it's just the way it is, don't fight it... :)

View surfin2's profile

surfin2

If you don’t stick to just one blade your screwed, I’ve always wanted to change to another blade but I love my Fine Cut Freud blades… Nice review, I’ll have to get one of these… Dewalt came out with a single la laser but it wouldn’t fit my saw.

-- Rick

williams

I would get the std kerf model. Think it is model 125 for 1/8 blades. If you change to a thin kerf blade, you can adjust the laser left and right with knob. The kerf will be over, but at least you can align to left. Now if I can get some kind of cheap soft-start box for my saw. Love the saw, but the hard start jerks.

View JasonWagner's profile

JasonWagner

Not trying to hijack this thread, but William got me thinking. Does anyone know of a soft start circuit that you can add to tools like a miter saw? Thanks for the review. I used a blade mounted laser at one point on the saw but it only came on when the blade was spinning so it was really only good for rough cutting.

-- some day I hope to have enough clamps to need a clamp cart!

williams

Think a “sparky” could make a fast power stop box (e.g. rockler) that included a vac delay outlet and a soft-start, and knobs to adjust each feature or turn them off. Think that would sell.