Dust Deputy

Review by Todd A. Clippinger posted 02-21-2010 12:20 AM 8536 views 4 times favorited 58 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Dust Deputy Dust Deputy Dust Deputy Click the pictures to enlarge them

As you look at the advertising, Oneida seems to make a pretty outrageous claim concerning the efficiency of it’s Dust Deputy, they claim it captures 99% of the dust. In case you don’t know, the Dust Deputy is a mini cyclone that fits on a 5 gallon bucket lid which acts as a particle separator for your shopvac.

I have been interested in this claim, and cautious, because I am interested in good dust collection for my shop. I collect as much dust at the source as possible, this is one of the secrets to my shop being so clean even though it gets daily use.

What this leads to is constantly emptying out the shopvac and cleaning the filter to maintain a high suction level. If I have to listen to the noise of the shopvac, it better be pulling the dust off of my sanders because I do a LOT of sanding.

I have long known about the Dust Deputy and had read good reviews about it from other woodworkers so I decided to buy one. I received it a week ago and have been using it with amazing results ever since.

SV102919

The day I got it, I put it into service. I made sure that I cleaned out the shopvac tub and filter as good as possible. Last night I took a look at the filter and was once again amazed (see photos above.) The shopvac only has a light coat of dust inside and on the filter after using it for a week. Compare this to the four times that I have emptied the 5 gallon bucket which was almost half full each time.

I purchased the cyclone by itself for $60 plus shipping from Rockler. I have extra hoses and shopvac attachments in the shop so I did not need the full kit. If you do not have extra hoses and connections laying around I would recommend the full kit at $100. You will end up spending close to that buying all of the parts, plus your time, to put it together anyway.

I attached the cyclone to the bucket lid and cut a piece of 1/2” plywood as a backer to the inside of the lid as reinforcement. The bucket wants to fall over easily but I had a quick solution already sitting under the table next to the shopvac. I had a 5 gallon bucket about 1/3 full of 16 penny framing nails. I simply dropped the Dust Deputy bucket inside the bucket of nails for a solid anchor. This works quite well for now because I do not move this shopvac around, but I am sure that I will be building a cart to contain the two in the future.

SV102923

I highly recommend the Dust Deputy. The price is a bit on the high side and I have no doubt that they are selling it for what the market will bear because of what it does. But as a business I am already spending far less time cleaning out my shopvac filter and that saves me money. It literally will pay for itself in my shop.

It is simply because of the high sale price that I gave it 4 out of 5 stars. It’s performance is perfect.

The Dust Deputy lives up to it’s advertised claims and there is barely a drop in suction power with the extra length of hose. When I build a permanent home for the Dust Deputy and shopvac, I will most likely cut the hose down as short as possible that connects the two for maintaining maximum suction.

The Dust Deputy falls into my category of “things that really work” and I highly recommend it for any shop.

Your friend in the shop – Todd A. Clippinger

Share the Love~Share the Knowledge

View KMJohnson's profile

KMJohnson

#1 posted 02-21-2010 12:31 AM

Lots of posts about this thing.

-- Let's do it in the wood pile!

#2 posted 02-21-2010 12:33 AM

KMJohnson – You are right. Now I know what all the excitement is about.

View Dustin's profile

Dustin

#3 posted 02-21-2010 12:46 AM

You know, I’d just rather build one that buy one. But it looks like it works!

#4 posted 02-21-2010 12:52 AM

Dustin – I have no doubt that a person could build one. But I know for the time it would take, I might as well just buy the thing ready to go. I have to measure my time as a business and what it would cost me in time vs. building it myself.

I have to admit that I like the clear plastic. It is not clear glass, but I can see into the bucket just good enough without removing the lid.

View gbear's profile

gbear

#5 posted 02-21-2010 01:03 AM

Good information Todd, thanks for the post.

-- gbear, Carmichael, CA

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

#6 posted 02-21-2010 01:35 AM

I have been eyeballing this thing for a while….thanks for the review. I have the same Rigid shop vac you do. I was thinking of bolting it to the side. It really is annoying how quick a shop vac filter just clogs right up and you loose all the suction. I had bought the HEPA filter for mine, but I went back to the standard filter cause the HEPA clogged up even faster!

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

#7 posted 02-21-2010 01:39 AM

Brad_Nailor – This thing REALLY works. I was having the same problem that you were with the filter clogging rapidly.

The tub of the shopvac does not have to very full to lose suction when the filter is caked with fine dust from the sanders.

In the future I will be sure to document and share the construction of a cart.

View Napaman's profile

Napaman

#8 posted 02-21-2010 02:42 AM

sounds good…I have been wanting to increase my efficiency in this area…

-- Matt--Proud LJ since 2007

View GuyK's profile

GuyK

#9 posted 02-21-2010 02:58 AM

Ok, stop twisting my arm, I am going to order one tommorow. I complain everytime I have to clean out the fliter on my shop vac, this should at least eliminate some of the complaining. Thanks for the review Todd

-- Guy Kroll www.thelandsathillsidefarms.org

#10 posted 02-21-2010 03:00 AM

It is waaay more efficient to simply empty a 5 gallon bucket than it is to empty the shopvac and blow out the filter.

View blackcherry's profile

blackcherry

#11 posted 02-21-2010 03:33 AM

I’m glad you found a solution to your shop vac collection system . The dust deputy was on my list as well but I try the Phil Thein cyclone build and found the same results. Can’t say enough about it I just wish I had it a lot sooner. Happy breathing and stay safe…Blkcherry

View kosta's profile

kosta

946 posts in 2012 days

#12 posted 02-21-2010 04:19 AM

I really need to get one of those

-- kosta Virginia Beach, VA http://www.kostasworkshop.blogspot.com/

View dustyal's profile

dustyal

#13 posted 02-21-2010 05:13 AM

Mine works as claimed and as you tested. I have a paper bag and the pleated filter in my shop vac that catches what remains of the finer dust. Shop vac stays in place and the Onieda unit moves around to the different tools. Great for my very small shop.

-- Al H. - small shop, small projects...

View weinerdog's profile

weinerdog

#14 posted 02-21-2010 05:13 AM

+1 on the dust deputy

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile

TopamaxSurvivor

#15 posted 02-21-2010 07:22 AM

Thanks for going out on a limb and checking this out for us Todd :-)) I’ve been thinking about one too.