The Untimate router lift! - Woodpeckers PRL V2

Review by GaryK posted 1624 days ago 22756 views 6 times favorited 50 comments Add to Favorites Watch
The Untimate router lift! - Woodpeckers PRL V2 The Untimate router lift! - Woodpeckers PRL V2 The Untimate router lift! - Woodpeckers PRL V2 Click the pictures to enlarge them

Does your arm get tired cranking your router up and down in your router lift? Especially when you hve to crank it all the way up to change a bit?

Well, how about no cranking at all and go from all the way down to all the way up in ONE SECOND!

Well the new PRL V2 from Woodpeckers does just that.

Install the spring loaded handle, give it quarter turn and you can pull or push the router to where ever you want it. Just stop it when you are close and use the micro adjustment wheel to reach your final setting. The spring is just powerful enough to about balance the weight of my router, so it doesn’t come flying up when you unlock it. You have to pull it a little bit.

Here is a little video showing all the features:

I was upgrading an original PRL so the new PRL V2 fell right into place.

They came up with a slick way to adapt it for different routers. Three little pads do the trick.
Mine came with an extra screw and washer.

I’m just going to run through my installation. Everything was simple and straight forward. I’m installing my big PC 7518 router but I assume the installation is the same for other routers. They make them for Dewalt, Craftsman, Bosch, Milwaukee and Porter Cable routers.

The first thing I did was to line up the pad flush to the top of the mount. and slide a washer into the slot.

Then installed the screw with the provided wrench to lock it into place. Two more pads and I was done.

Installing the router was simple. Just made sure that the lift was raised all the way up and dropped in the router.
It goes all the was to the plate which can’t be any simpler. Then I rotated it so that my speed control would be at the front of my router table.

Next you tighten the four set screws with the provided wrench. Well, not quite. As you can see the bottom left screw is being blocked by the wheel. Simple solution though. Just turn the wheel to lift the router to clear it.

Tighten the last screw and you are done.

Like the original PRL it has a dial that shows the distance you are moving. .002” per line or 1/16” per revolution.
The dial can be rotated to whatever setting you want.

Another feature is the brake. You just use the wrench to tighten is just a little to keep some tension on the works. This will prevent your router from drifting out of position.

Another thing that I really liked are the “flat” surfaces. It made re-installing my digital readout a snap.

A last picture showing the digital readout reading .002”, the same as the reading on the dial.

All in all this is a very well built and will save my arm a lot of cranking in the future. If you were in the market for a router lift, this is the one I would recommend.

You just can’t beat it for speed and precision.

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

I completely agree that the Woodpecker lift systems are great. Many may consider this a “nice to have” but not a “have to have”. That’s probably true but this is a real nice, “nice to have”.

I have the Woodpecker Quick Lift lifter. It’s a little cheaper and it does not have the spring or the adjusting wheel like this V2. Nonetheless, it works great and it only costs $229. I like it a lot.

On the other hand, MCLS and Eagle have worked together to make a motorized lift system. It should be introduced shortly. If the price is right, I may opt for that system.

My one and only complaint about the quick lift is that I do not have the option of an under the table adjustment. With a couple of my jigs, I would really like an under the table adjustment option (or the motorized lift system).

Thanks for the review, Gary. I have been looking at lifts as I really want to upgrade my existing table. It works but I really want to upgrade it to a more polished version. I have been debating this lift but have not found a review that I have felt comfortable with- until now.

I definately will have to put this one on my short list. The next step will be getting an advance on my allowance from my wife. :)

112001 posts in 2181 days

Super review Gary , Like Rich I would like to see the cost of the MLCS unit.

View KMJohnson's profile

KMJohnson

Good review.

-- Let's do it in the wood pile!

View charlie48's profile

charlie48

Thanks for the review Gary,This may be worth a closer look.

-- Charlie............Only time will tell if it was time well spent.

View CanadianWoodChuck's profile

CanadianWoodChuck

Thanks Gary, great review. I almost wish I was in the market for a new one, however I guess I’ll just have to keep cranking my Jessem lift for a little while yet :)

-- Canadian Wood Chuck (Bruce)

View Tim Dahn's profile

Tim Dahn

Thanks Gary, good info. Looks like a sweet upgrade.

-- Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement.

View araldite's profile

araldite

187 posts in 2007 days

Makes me want to dump mine and get this one. Thanks.

View  Box 's profile

Box

4937 posts in 1912 days

Great choice !Very detailed review Gary. Did you see the same woodpecker V2 lift using the router ringsusing the magnetic plates?
Router table technology and all of its accessories are really going high tech and inproving.

View Splinterman's profile

Splinterman

23058 posts in 1965 days

Hey Gary,
Good review and presentation….well done.

View tedth66's profile

tedth66

hello Gary
when the router is all the way down what is the distance from the top of the table to the bottom of the router; assuming the router is the lowest hanging object? I’m asking this to see if i have enough clearance for this luxury item.

thanks
Ted

-- Ted

View EEngineer's profile

EEngineer

I also have the Woodpecker Quicklift. When I bought it about two years ago, they didn’t have this version yet.

I have to say that the form, fit and function on Woodpecker products is fabulous! I have had 0 problems. If anything, this unit looks even beefier than the Quicklift.

Great review.

-- "Find out what you cannot do and then go do it!"

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

Gary pretty much has ALL the coolest toys!!

I’m grateful that you give us your insight into them. Thanks for sharing!

-- -- Neil

GaryK

Ted – It’s almost bu not quite 13”. A shorter router would be even less.

GaryK

Greg the WhoDat – You are right. They have a deal with Incra to manufacturer lifts using their magnetic insert plates.