Wixey readout mounted to Powermatic Planer

Review by unisaw2 posted 1622 days ago 4403 views 2 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Wixey readout mounted to Powermatic Planer No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Wixey Digital Planer Readout with Fractions Model WR510
Bought from Amazon: $58.99

This readout is designed for portable planers, see below for this custom installation.

The angled display, and auto shut-off are nice features.
Love the fraction measurements. Accuracy is: fractions=1/32, decimal=.005in(~1/128). It is great to set the machine to get a 9/16” cut.

I also really like the calibration feature. Once calibrated it will show the exact dimension of the planed board. Can be quickly set up with the standard bed, or with a second bed (I use the second bed for thin material)

Although this readout is for Portable planers, with a little work, I was able to mount it to my Powermatic 15HH.

To install, I tapped a 1/4”x20 screw to the planer bed. Then used that screw to mount an aluminum ‘L’ bracket to the bed.
I then mounted another vertical 14-1/2” ‘L’ bracket to the first bracket. The Wixey is mounted to the 14-1/2” bracket with double faced tape. (although there are also provisions for screws)

A 1/8” x 2” plate, behind the main switch, at the top of the planer connects to the readout.
Overall it took about 2 hours to install.

Still have a couple of fine tuning issues to do. The analog scale needs to be adjusted to read right, and I will eliminate the tape and use screws to mount the Wixey to the angle bracket.

View  Box 's profile

Box

4937 posts in 1910 days

That is an excellent idea. I have a floor model planer and have always checked planing results with my dial calipers…very accurate but I continually have to set them down and plane the board and them pick them up again.

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

Yea – I have a Wixey to determine the height of my TS blade and router bit, the angle of my TS blade and other items, the position of my TS fence and I also have Wixey calipers. I think I need a Wixey for my planer height.

View Ryan Shervill's profile

Ryan Shervill

You guys are gonna love this…...there is a Wixey remote digital readout for floor model planers almost ready to hit the market. It’s in beta testing right now, but you should see it in the not-too-distant future.

Ryan

-- Want to see me completely transform a house? Look here: http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/showthread.php?41055

unisaw2

Not surprised. Wixey’s website has a page showing examples of readouts attached to floor models.
Still a nice product, I won’t be grabbing the calipers every time the board goes through.

View jack1's profile

jack1

1907 posts in 2629 days

I have this same model on my DeWalt 735 (on its own stand with in and out feed tables) and it works like a champ. I imagine it would be even more accurate on a floor model. Wixey is one of the best companies out there. I have almost all of their tools. I just ordered the table saw blade height tool. I can recommend them with no reservations to anyone.

-- jack -- ...measure once, curse twice!

unisaw2

Just a quick update. Just planed 36 drawer runners to 1/2” x 5/16” and several face frames to 7/8” x 3/8” used only the readout. Came out exactly the dimensions listed above. Cool! Not checking with a measure/ caliper/gauge will really save time.

View grub32's profile

grub32

I love it…I have the same planer and will have to work on doing that myself this summer.

Great Idea!!

Grub

-- Science Teacher by Day, Wood Butcher by Night!!