Ok for the money.

Review by SchotterWoodworking posted 1606 days ago 1452 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Ok for the money. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Picked up this set at Woodcraft for about $25.00. I have used tapered bits in the past and really liked to have them to use as a quick way to drill a pilot and countersink in one step. The case is great, the bits are sharp and straight but one of the countersinks spun on the bit shaft despite my tightening of the set screws. It’s a cheap set compared to the $70.00 and $90.00 sets right beside it in the store and is better than a harbor freight job.

View SchotterWoodworking's profile

SchotterWoodworking

View davidroberts's profile

davidroberts

1001 posts in 2071 days

I could have used a 9/64th tonight. The small Rockler set at $35 or so seemed kinda steep. Thanks for the review.

-- God is Great, Wood is Good. nuff said.

View mcase's profile

mcase

I wish I could have found a set for $35.00 . I was at Rockler the other day specifically for piloting bits. Akll the showed me were individual bits at $18.00 a piece! Even when I indicated I thought this way too expensive, they did not show the $35.00 set. Well at least I was smart enough not to pay$18.00 for one piloting bit.

View davidroberts's profile

davidroberts

1001 posts in 2071 days

my bad. I was thinging of this item.

But this “nicer” set is $56, and about $18 to $20 separately:

-- God is Great, Wood is Good. nuff said.

View 8iowa's profile

8iowa

I bought this set and gave several of the tapered bits a test in some hard maple. They bent and “wobbled” after contact with the wood. The steel was too soft. I returned them to Woodcraft with a note that they could do anything they pleased with them – just don’t send me any replacements.

I then bought a set made by Fuller. What a world of difference. My advice is to purchase the Fuller set and don’t waste your money on this cheap set from Woodcraft.

-- "Heaven is North of the Bridge"

In fact this set looks just like the one I bought at HF and which gave me the same issue, spinning.

View Tim Dahn's profile

Tim Dahn

I have an even cheaper set and have experience the spinning issue. I filed a flat on the drill bit for the set screw to grab and they are usable now.

-- Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement.