Nice kit to get started.

Review by SchotterWoodworking posted 1623 days ago 1671 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Nice kit to get started. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this kit for about $300.00 at Home Depot about two years ago. The compressor itself is a basic pancake oil-free design; simple to maintain and easy to use. The nail guns are nice and heavy with a well balanced design. The tool bag is however barely big enough to hold all three guns, so you don’t have room to carry fasteners in the bag with them. The brad nailer is 18ga. 1 1/4”, the stapler is 18ga. 1” narrow crown, and the finish nailer is 16ga. 2 1/2”. The two nail guns suit me fine; the brad nailer is a little under range as far as fasteners go but is no bother to me and the finish nailer is just great. The stapler is very under range for my taste (I prefer a full range stapler 1 1/2”) but is otherwise a fine gun for shallow shooting. The compressor is ok for light duty nailing but not much else. I can spray my finish with them for about three minutes straight before it kicks on, this is using a spray gun with an in-line regulator set at 30-40 psi while holding the compressor at 120psi. Overall this is a great way to grab some nail guns and a compressor for cheap and get started, but as we all know, at some point you will want to upgrade to a larger compressor and some more capable guns.

View SchotterWoodworking's profile

SchotterWoodworking

View KMJohnson's profile

KMJohnson

Good information.

-- Let's do it in the wood pile!

View rsmith71's profile

rsmith71

I bought this set too a couple years ago and really like them. The guns are very capable for a home shop. When I added it up I bought the three guns and they’re threw in the compressor, bag, and air hose. Not a bad deal.

-- Robert - Haven Wood Crafts

View David Craig's profile

David Craig

Good review, thanks for posting. I bought this set a couple of weeks ago for 259.00. Some changes were made in the last couple years. The guns have Magnesium bodies and are oilless. I like them and they do feel good in the hands. I will be replacing the hose with a heavy duty rubber one. The one enclosed is a little stiff and difficult to maneuver. For jobs around the house, 6 gallons seem to work fine. If you are doing heavy duty air brushing or working mechanical tools, I would upgrade. But for nail use, this compressor works well. I would have preferred a pinner as the third gun, rather than a stapler, but in some applications the narrow crown works pretty good. The nailers have adjustable depths and have a mechanism to quickly free jams, though I have yet to meet someone who ever jammed one of the PC guns. I debated about buying the thing until I noticed they were disappearing off the web. I believe the PC 3 gun combo is being discontinued. The guns and compressor are still manufactured but the online sites are showing 1 and 2 gun combo sets instead of all 3. I am not disappointed with the purchase.

Thanks again for the review,

David

-- There is little that is simple when it comes to making a simple box.

View bunkie's profile

bunkie

Five years back, I bought the earlier version of this kit with two guns (brad nailer and finish nailer). I bought it to put up a wood ceiling and it worked well for that. Since then, I used it to put down 800 square feet of 3/4” oak flooring. I love the kit. I’ve done a bit of spraying with a Critter and it was okay, the compressor kept cycling but it worked. Mine came with plastic cases for the guns which have kept them in good condition.

-- Altruism is, ultimately, self-serving

View ardbeg's profile

ardbeg

I too, bought this several years back when it came with plastic cases. It has been great for general use and has put up a houseful of molding along with a bunch of shop jobs. Never had any problems with it.

-- You may delay, but time will not. --Ben Franklin

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

Sure is one LOUD noisy compressor. even with ear protection It’s hard to handle.
IfI had known, I wouldn’t have considered oil-free.

-- Router รจ ancora il mio nome.

View Xett's profile

Xett

Have this exact kit. Agreed; Loud! But I think everything is loud :-( Guns are all nice, sturdy, etc. I took off the little grey rubber noses on the guns, they made it hard to accurately place brads. Just need to be careful on soft woods not to mar them with the now-naked nose.

View chewbuddy13's profile

chewbuddy13

I have this kit as well, very nice for general shop tasks. I used the stapler to put up some wainscoating in our bathroom and it worked well. I bought the kit thinking I was gonna use the brad nailer the most, but have used it the least! I also purchased the pin nailer from HF and it is awsome. I would suggest getting one, it’s only $25 and incredibly useful.