Self Cleaning Blast Gates

Review by Greg..the Cajun Box Sculptor posted 02-16-2010 10:00 PM 5715 views 2 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Self Cleaning Blast Gates Self Cleaning Blast Gates No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have tried numerous blast gates, metal and plastic. These from Lee Valley are the best I have found and they never clog because of the way the gate pushes any possible clog out when the gate is open and closed. I have been using them for 2 years without a clog.
They do not come with the knobs…I added them for ease of use. when remodeling my kitchen last september I saved all the knobs from my old cabinets with the intention of re-using them on the new cabinets. I was outvoted by my wife and we ended up getting new knobs. I knew if i saved them they would come in handy somewhere…

Here is where I bought the blast gates.

#1 posted 02-16-2010 10:33 PM

I’ve got mine, sitting in a box, waiting for me to be able to get my plumbing set up… Good to know an owner has had good luck with them…

Not sure I’d copy the knob thing though…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

#2 posted 02-17-2010 01:12 AM

You would be surprised how much easier it is to slide with a knob…whatever style knob you might use.

View DocK16's profile

DocK16

#3 posted 02-17-2010 05:03 AM

I had not seen these but when I get around to replacing my old plastic ones I will definitely look for these. Are these 4 or 6 inch

-- Common sense is so rare anymore when you do see it, it looks like pure genius.

#4 posted 02-17-2010 05:25 AM

DocK16,
I bought the 4” gates but according to their website they are available in several different sizes.

View Canadian Woodworks's profile

Canadian Woodworks

#5 posted 02-17-2010 05:35 AM

I use the same ones, they work great, and for how good they are the price is right to.

-- Paul Lemiski, Ontario Canada, Custom Wooden Rocking chairs and tables http://www.canadianwoodworks.com

View PBthecat's profile

PBthecat

#6 posted 02-19-2010 05:32 PM

I have these in 4” and they work fine. A problem I’ve had with some gates is that the flanges are tapered. Easy to slip a hose onto but the more you tighten the pipe clamp, the more the hose wants to slip off. This is not a problem with these gates.

-- "Every hundred years, all new people"

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

#7 posted 02-19-2010 05:37 PM

Pretty nice. I remember having that problem with my plastic ones.

My solution was to cut the corners off leaving about a 1/2” slot. It seemed to suck in enough air to take any dust with it. When they were closed they block any air from entering.

I have never had a problem since then and I have 7 or 8 of them.

#8 posted 02-25-2010 11:31 PM

Dock16, these come in 4, 5, and 6 inch sizes…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com