Affordable Mobile Base

Review by johnnymo posted 02-16-2010 07:14 AM 3532 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Affordable Mobile Base Affordable Mobile Base Affordable Mobile Base Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have a 12ft x 14ft shop and needed a mobile base for my tablesaw. I purchased a mobile base for my jointer/planer a few months back that I’m not happy with so I decided to try this one out from Wood River.
The instructions were pretty easy to follow and it didn’t take long to get it assembled. The base rolls great around the shop and the metal cam levers are very easy to engage and disengage with your foot. A word of caution: Be careful when disengaging the wheels when you have positioned your tool. No biggie when you disengage the first wheel, but when you disengage the second wheel the weight of your tool will drop the base down hard on the leveling feet. You’ll want to hold the tool a little and bring it down with the base so all the weight doesn’t fall on the base at once. A good deal for only $60.00.

-- John in Arizona (but it's a dry heat!)

View johnnymo's profile

johnnymo

309 posts in 1902 days

View dfdye's profile

dfdye

#1 posted 02-16-2010 07:51 AM

I have a Craftsman version of this base that came with my contractor saw (had it for several years now) and mine has worked pretty well. The Wood River version appears to be better quality than my Craftsman (same basic design, but but the Wood River appears to be constructed from better materials), so for $60, I would definitely agree this base is worth the price. I wouldn’t use it for anything too big, but for a contractor saw or something similarly sized, it should be fine.

-- David from Indiana --

View a1Jim's profile (online now)

#2 posted 02-16-2010 08:09 AM

Thanks for the review

View mikedrums's profile

mikedrums

#3 posted 02-16-2010 07:54 PM

That’s on sale at my local Sears for under 40 bucks… not the Craftsman, but the original Port-A-Mate.
Still not cheap enough to keep my from making my own, but a good deal, nonetheless.

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

#4 posted 02-18-2010 06:22 AM

I have one of these under my router table and one under my band saw and I love them.

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

View SwedishIron's profile

SwedishIron

#5 posted 11-28-2010 08:42 AM

FYI.. This mobile base is going on sale at Woodcraft for $39.99 until 24-Dec 2010. I’m going to pick one up for my new Rikon BS..

-- Scott, Colorado

View Blackie_'s profile (online now)

Blackie_

#6 posted 10-07-2011 06:08 AM

Hey Johnny

Nice shop you have, yours and mine are similar, 12×16 with an added closet on the outside for dust collection and compressor, I’m about to receive a 14” bandsaw and am in the process of making room. I’m going to move my router table and include it with my table saw and have already (not yet shown in my photos) have all of my bench top machines centralized on shelf rack instead of strolled out through the shop, I just pick off the machine I want to use and place it on a work surface by doing that, it gave me more foot print. Also going to make an out-feed / worktable using the plans from wood magazine called the Tablesaw Workbench.

As for as a mobile base goes since I am getting the grizz it comes with just a 4 legged stand, I’m going to build a wooden base cabinet and put some locking wheels also thinking of making some sort of threaded rubber pad stabilizers, mounting them to the sides with a knob and just twist them do to hold the stand steady that or just kick wedges under the wheels.

Again thumbs up on your shop.

Randy

-- Randy - If I'm not on LJ's then I'm making Saw Dust. Please feel free to visit my store location at http://www.facebook.com/randy.blackstock.custom.wood.designs