organizers

Review by Jim K posted 1626 days ago 1505 views 2 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
organizers No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Hi All

There is a post in the forums for parts storage. I thought I’d review what I use. These small base cabinets with plastic bins are very handy. we used them for any thing nuts bolts. My has one for her small baking molds and craft stuff. The see through bins are nice too.

View Jim K's profile

Jim K

View Cajun  Box Sculptor's profile

Cajun Box Sculptor

4938 posts in 1913 days

These are real handy and useful in the shop. I have 6 of them in my shop and they all have something stored in them. I bought a labeler and now label what i put in the bins.

View johnnymo's profile

johnnymo

I have one of these in my shop too! They are great for organizing small stuff.

-- John in Arizona (but it's a dry heat!)

112002 posts in 2182 days

those are a big help.

I have 3 of those, 1 bought in 2002, and 2 bought in 2008. The drawers in the one purchased are made from a MUCH more brittle plastic and are falling apart. I really don’t want to waste the cabinet, but Stack On won’t return emails, and I can never get through on the phone with them to obtain replacement drawers.

Aside from this one issue, they are pretty nice. HOWEVER, for a little less money, Harbor Freight has a similar model, but with a full length drawer added to the bottom. That drawer is VERY appealing for longer items such as measuring intruments that you may not have anywhere else to store…

Things I like about the currently available model… #1. Rounded corners. I know it sounds dumb, but I have gotten scratched and scraped over the years by the old style metal cabinets, this soft molded plastic is easier to deal with. #2. Label “sockets”. Not sure what else to call them. The handle piece of the drawer has a recess for adhering labels. They are GREAT for those Dymo labels to let you know what is in that drawer! #3. More abuse resistant plastics for the drawers. The old ones were a particularly brittle plastic, the new ones, while a but more hazy, are a LOT more flexible, and won’t break when dropping a 1/2” x 2.5” bolt in them… #4. Good ribbing / reinforcement makes the case sturdy, and able to hold quite a bit of weight when wall mounted with no notable deflection.

Things I don’t like about he current model. #1. The drawer dividers, which would make the bins MUCH more useful, are optional and must be ordered from Stack On, see my notes about getting in touch with this company for getting parts… NOT a good thing. #2. Customer service appears non existent. I should have taken my first one back to Home Depot for a replacement… Oh well… #3. The lack of a full width drawer. I may be one of the few guys out there that would put that to frequent use, but I am seriously considering swapping mine out for the Storehouse models from Harbor Freight just to get that added drawer. I have a LOT of stuff on top of my bins that should go IN the bins…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View Abbott's profile

Abbott

2570 posts in 1908 days

I have four of those full of hardware, nuts, bolts, screws and small nails and brads. They are screwed to the wall with gold screws and fender washers. I have found that I prefer the ones made with the softer plastic drawers over those with the drawers made from the hard brittle plastic. I also prefer the larger drawer versions which are about 4”x4” like the one you have pictured. If the one in the photo you provided has the drawers made with the softer plastic then it is the model that I have found that works the best for me.

I have the same one and I ”@#$*&^%” most of the time when I open a drawer as the drawer does not stop and I and up dropping all content.

View Abbott's profile

Abbott

2570 posts in 1908 days

Yeah, I have an 8’ two shelf cabinet, lots of coffee cans, many corrugated cardboard parts bins, several 5 gallon buckets, 4 or 5 of those big plastic tubs with lids and an 8’x36’ walk through attic (with stair access). I use all of them for parts, fasteners, hardware, material and misc. storage. But my cutsy plastic storage containers are just as useful as the rest of my arsenal and a whole lot handier and cleaner and much less time consuming then dumping out my buckets (I save those for larger items) and sweeping up. I like the plastic drawers units enough to never be without them.