The Monster

Review by Carpintonto posted 02-15-2010 12:10 AM 4107 views 2 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
The Monster No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Needing to plane more than 13” boards and deliver better quality, I’ve bought this planer. I have to say that is a real ” MONSTER ”. I putted through a 1 foot x 1” x 3’ Jatoba board and planed down to 3/4”, with only a 1/4 of the noise my 13” Rigid planer would make. I got magnificent results and I’ll be doing the wider boards this week. If you are on the look for a wider capacity planer, consider checking these reviews every week ‘cause I’ll be updating the overall performance of this Monster.

View JuniorJoiner's profile

JuniorJoiner

446 posts in 2094 days

#1 posted 02-15-2010 02:37 AM

I will be interested to see how this machine measures up over time. I will be doing some shop upgrades in the next year or so, and this machine is on my list of possibles.

-- Junior -Quality is never an accident-it is the reward for the effort involved.

#2 posted 02-15-2010 05:17 AM

This is a nice review. As a PM fan, I would love to have one of these in my shop.

View Jim Bertelson's profile

Jim Bertelson

#3 posted 02-15-2010 05:32 AM

We have done about 2/3 of a whole house remodel….....the contractor calls it the jatoba house. They also say some of their suppliers say they will never mill jatoba again…........(-:

That was probably a good test…..........

-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska

View Todd A. Clippinger's profile

Todd A. Clippinger

#4 posted 02-15-2010 07:04 AM

You’re making me drool:)

-- Todd A. Clippinger, Montana, http://americancraftsmanworkshop.com

#5 posted 02-16-2010 01:14 AM

Hi Jim. Jatoba was one of my favorite wood species ‘till I had to buy new saw blades. I agree with people being afraid to mill this wood. I tested the Monster with Jatoba ‘cause I had just cleaned out all the left overs from the shop and that was still a good size plank. I’m beginning to work more often with Ash and Birch Torrified. the results are amazing and is machine friendly.

View Jim Bertelson's profile

Jim Bertelson

#6 posted 02-16-2010 02:09 AM

The mill work contractors had to sharpen all their blades and degunk their machines because of the oil in the Jatoba, at least I think that is what they said…. second hand. I am not doing any of the remodel, just enjoying the results….(-: Thanks for the review…...I will never need a machine of this caliber, reaffirms the reputation of Powermatic, but I thought your test wood was most interesting….....(-:

-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska

View Tomas's profile

Tomas

#7 posted 02-18-2010 05:35 AM

I know these machines are much quieter than the ridgid 13 inch planer – which is what I have – I would be curious to know if you still need earmuffs for this machine?

112087 posts in 2231 days

#8 posted 02-18-2010 05:54 AM

good review.

#9 posted 05-06-2010 06:20 AM

Hi All!,

If you ever need a quiet, powefull, accurate, easy, impressing, smooth and hightech planer, you should consider buying this planer!. Every time I use it, I’m more convinced I did not pay too much for the jobs this machine delivers!. Great Machine!, Super Monster!!!.

11 out of 10!!!

Buy it!,

#10 posted 06-06-2010 02:34 PM

Hi All !,

Well, I’m back with more about the Monster. I recently plane 8/4” maple; was I impressed!. There was almost 0 sanding to be done after planing. I’ve stained the maple with water base stain and the results were amaizing!. Like I mentioned in the past reviews, I was extremely satisfied with Powermatic tools, that I’ve decided to go for the Powermatic 5hp shaper w/ power feeder, which I’ll be reviewing soon.

View 8iowa's profile

8iowa

#11 posted 06-06-2010 02:48 PM

After hearing a Steel City planer scream at well over 90 dBA, I purchased a Shopsmith Pro Planer. The induction motor powered machines are much quieter and in my opinion are a much better value.

-- "Heaven is North of the Bridge"