The Monster

Review by Carpintonto posted 1628 days ago 4054 views 2 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
The Monster No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Needing to plane more than 13” boards and deliver better quality, I’ve bought this planer. I have to say that is a real ” MONSTER ”. I putted through a 1 foot x 1” x 3’ Jatoba board and planed down to 3/4”, with only a 1/4 of the noise my 13” Rigid planer would make. I got magnificent results and I’ll be doing the wider boards this week. If you are on the look for a wider capacity planer, consider checking these reviews every week ‘cause I’ll be updating the overall performance of this Monster.

View JuniorJoiner's profile

JuniorJoiner

443 posts in 2045 days

I will be interested to see how this machine measures up over time. I will be doing some shop upgrades in the next year or so, and this machine is on my list of possibles.

-- Junior -Quality is never an accident-it is the reward for the effort involved.

This is a nice review. As a PM fan, I would love to have one of these in my shop.

View Jim Bertelson's profile

Jim Bertelson

We have done about 2/3 of a whole house remodel….....the contractor calls it the jatoba house. They also say some of their suppliers say they will never mill jatoba again…........(-:

That was probably a good test…..........

-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska

View Todd A. Clippinger's profile

Todd A. Clippinger

You’re making me drool:)

-- Todd A. Clippinger, Montana, http://americancraftsmanworkshop.com

Carpintonto

Hi Jim. Jatoba was one of my favorite wood species ‘till I had to buy new saw blades. I agree with people being afraid to mill this wood. I tested the Monster with Jatoba ‘cause I had just cleaned out all the left overs from the shop and that was still a good size plank. I’m beginning to work more often with Ash and Birch Torrified. the results are amazing and is machine friendly.

View Jim Bertelson's profile

Jim Bertelson

The mill work contractors had to sharpen all their blades and degunk their machines because of the oil in the Jatoba, at least I think that is what they said…. second hand. I am not doing any of the remodel, just enjoying the results….(-: Thanks for the review…...I will never need a machine of this caliber, reaffirms the reputation of Powermatic, but I thought your test wood was most interesting….....(-:

-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska

View Tomas's profile

Tomas

I know these machines are much quieter than the ridgid 13 inch planer – which is what I have – I would be curious to know if you still need earmuffs for this machine?

112002 posts in 2182 days

good review.

Hi All!,

If you ever need a quiet, powefull, accurate, easy, impressing, smooth and hightech planer, you should consider buying this planer!. Every time I use it, I’m more convinced I did not pay too much for the jobs this machine delivers!. Great Machine!, Super Monster!!!.

11 out of 10!!!

Buy it!,

Hi All !,

Well, I’m back with more about the Monster. I recently plane 8/4” maple; was I impressed!. There was almost 0 sanding to be done after planing. I’ve stained the maple with water base stain and the results were amaizing!. Like I mentioned in the past reviews, I was extremely satisfied with Powermatic tools, that I’ve decided to go for the Powermatic 5hp shaper w/ power feeder, which I’ll be reviewing soon.

View 8iowa's profile

8iowa

After hearing a Steel City planer scream at well over 90 dBA, I purchased a Shopsmith Pro Planer. The induction motor powered machines are much quieter and in my opinion are a much better value.

-- "Heaven is North of the Bridge"