BitterSweet week for my woodshop

Review by ShipWreck posted 1611 days ago 5315 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
BitterSweet week for my woodshop BitterSweet week for my woodshop No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Got laid off back in August due to the housing/construction slow down, and things are not looking any better in the near future. I gave up on looking for work and decided to start my own home repair business. Now that I am using my 1 car garage/shop as a base for my business, I decided that I need more portability in my setup, .... so that means I sold off my stationary tools this week. :( Gone are my beloved Delta 36-979 table saw, dust collector, Dewalt air compressor, and Craftsman 6 1/8 jointer.

My first step was to replace my table saw with a job site type unit. I never really liked portable table saws so I never bothered doing any research on them. I looked really hard at the Bosch at first, mainly because some of my trim buddies swear by them. Then I looked at the Dewalt saw out of loyalty to the brand, but table top seemed almost to small and the miter gauge seemed almost toyish. Then I looked at the new Ridgid 4510 model because of the good reviews posted here on LJ . I was immediately sold on the Ridgid after looking it over. Home Depot honored the 10% military (retired) discount and I had it out the door in 2.5 seconds. :)

I got the saw home figuring that I would spend a couple hours setting it up and aligning everything. I broke out the Groz squares, straight edge, and my dial indicator…. and went to work. There was nothing to do.

The saw was dead on right out of the box. I was a little shocked, so I double checked everything to make sure. Tables were flat even, Blade to fence was dead on. Blade angle to tabe was dead on zero on the indicator. Blade to miter slots was dead on.

I fired up the saw, and ripped a couple pieces with the stock blade. I was impressed how the wood slides so easily on the table with this saw. The stock blade is ok but it will serve as a back-up to my Freud’s. The stand was a worry for me at first because I hate any movement with a table saw. There is a little movement, but not enough to cause any distraction what so ever. I did a couple cross cuts and fell in love with the miter gauge, it’s equal to, or better than alot of high dollar table saw stock miter gauges. There is no slop in the miter slots either. The rip fence is rock solid and locks down accurate every time. The rails are very beefy for a portable saw,...... the best I have seen yet. The riving knife is a nice feature, and I believe all saws should have had these years ago for added safety. The cut-off switch location is nice, as I can shut off the saw with my thigh in case I ever screw up and need to abort a cut. The onboard tool storage is great, it doesnt appear that anything will get snagged while while moving the saw around a job site or through tight spaces.

As others have posted on LJ, ... this saw is loud. Hearing protection is a must.

I was really really bummed having to sell my Delta TS, but I am also looking forward to using this saw in the near future. It looks solid….. feels solid, and is a dream to operate for a portable saw.

View ShipWreck's profile

ShipWreck

View cstrang's profile

cstrang

Sorry to hear about the loss of your Delta but from what I have read here and in other reviews this looks like a great saw, one of the best trade off’s you could have made when down sizing. Thanks for the review.

-- A hammer dangling from a wall will bang and sound like work when the wind blows the right way.

111999 posts in 2164 days

I hope you new business take off much luck.

View Bob Kollman's profile

Bob Kollman

good luck, nice saw, ridgid makes good stuff.

-- Bob Kenosha Wi.

View Jeison's profile

Jeison

Good luck with your business, glad this turned out so good to support it!

-- - Jei, Rockford IL - When in doubt, spray it with WD-40 and wrap it with duct tape. The details will attend to themselves.

View woody57's profile

woody57

645 posts in 2014 days

Sounds like you make a good choice for a portable saw. Good luck on your new business.

-- Emmett, from Georgia

View John Stegall's profile

John Stegall

I know what you mean about selling a beloved saw. My Delta Unisaw had to go. I replaced it with the little Dewalt and so far, I have been amazed at what can be done with it. No, it won’t plow through two iinch oak or mesquite without taking a little time (the new thin kerf Freud helped with that), but it still does it. And it is a lot easier to load and take for a ride.

-- jstegall

Yes, I like Ridgid tools more and more.
I would not be surprised if my garage became one solid orange.

View Tim29's profile

Tim29

I have this table saw and I could not agree more. I looked at every jobsite saw I could find and this one is by far the best. Very little slop on the miter guage, the fence feels and moves like it in and of itself should cost a pretty penny, it stores nicely when not in use. Ridgid hit it out of the park with this one. I would like to eventually buy a better saw but with this one i can put that off for a while.
Sorry to hear about the layoff. Good luck with your business.
Tim

-- Tim, Nevada MO

View ShipWreck's profile

ShipWreck

UPDATE :

It has been about 9-10 months since I bought this saw. I have no clue as to how much wood it has chewed through…....... lots. It might be the best overall tool I have added to my collection ever. It has been though hell this year with the various job sites that I have had it on, and with the abuse that generally goes with having multiple operators knocking it around. One guy even rolled it down a steep driveway before it finally flipped onto its side. I thought for sure that he killed the rails on it, but everything was fine. I no longer use it as a business tool because I got hired on with a real estate company as a field service tech. a couple of weeks ago. :) I will be going after a good stationary TS pretty soon, but this one has earned a place in my small 1 car garage woodshop ….. even if I never use it again. It got me through a very tough year without a single hiccup.

View mxrdrver's profile

mxrdrver

You should buy a Rousseau table saw stand and fence to take things to the next level. I have the 2775 for my Bosch 4100. I spent today adding saw fence sides and gluing plastic laminate to them. Still waiting on the black plastic T-molding to arrive.