Incra Gauge - precision marking gauge

Review by Requiem posted 02-14-2010 02:31 PM 4247 views 1 time favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Incra Gauge - precision marking gauge Incra Gauge - precision marking gauge No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Well I thought I would start off my review with items that I would use throughout my apprenticeship and being a novice I will review items that I think are good for the average home DIY woodworking. Items that anyone can afford not tools that we can only dream about or keep on display because they are expensive but we can actually use.

I pick the Incra Gauge as for my item to review, the reason for this is that this one tool I would use on all my projects and for me it has been a valuable tool in my workshop.

It is very accurate piece of marking tool, as it works on the same principle as Lead Screw Fence System that incra has. It has incremental teeth every 1/32” on both side and when the holding screw it tightened it holds it in that position accurately and tightly.

When you unscrew the holding nut it is free to move and can be ready to setup the next measurement. You can setup a measurement quick and easy and say later you want that exact measurement again it can be repeated quite easy in a matter of seconds.

No need to use a ruler or tape measure you simply for example adjust your height on your router bit using the Incra Gauge.

You can also slide the Incra Gauge along your timber to mark a long piece of timber accurately without using a long ruler or T square.

You can quite quickly mark the centre of the timber up to 2” thick in matter of seconds also.

It can be used for the following;
- depth of cut gauge to set cut depth on table saws.
- tool for aligning fences on table saws, router tables, band saws and on the drill press.
- used to accurately mark the center of the edge of any board up to 2” thick.
It is made out of plastic but it is quite good. It is a bit pricey at around AUD $30 but I still think it is a great buy for the price and its use.

View Requiem's profile

Requiem

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

#1 posted 02-14-2010 02:54 PM

Thanks for the review. I thought I had seen every tool on the market for woodworking but I had never seen or heard of this gauge before. I see it sells for $15.99 on Amazon. I’ll have to get me one.

View mmax's profile

mmax

#2 posted 02-14-2010 04:23 PM

I’ve used this tool for the past 10 years and could not live without it. There is not a single project I ever built that this tool did not play a part.

Thanks for reminding me what a great tool it is.

-- Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

#3 posted 02-14-2010 07:14 PM

What is the material it is made of?
And thanks for the post.

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

View russv's profile

russv

262 posts in 1922 days

#4 posted 02-14-2010 08:23 PM

MMAX,
had mine for 10 years and a day. lol

it is a great tool. my is right by my TS for height and fence settings

russv

-- yknotwood.com: where to go because you don't want no stinking plastic!

View RandyMarine's profile

RandyMarine

#5 posted 02-14-2010 08:51 PM

Thank you very much for the review. The next item for the shopping list.

-- Semper Fi, Randy Sr.

#6 posted 02-14-2010 09:26 PM

Thanks for the review a new one on me,

View Jim Crockett (USN Retired)'s profile

Jim Crockett (USN Retired)

#7 posted 02-22-2010 10:18 AM

I got one of these recently and have found it to be very useful. Hadn’t thought of using it to mark mortises, but sure looks like it would work well in the picture you provided! I do find it difficult to measure fence settings with this gauge, though it is great for blade & router bit height adjustments.

Jim

-- A veteran is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including his/her life".