The best sanders you will ever use.

Review by GaryK posted 2386 days ago 2534 views 3 times favorited 21 comments Add to Favorites Watch
The best sanders you will ever use. The best sanders you will ever use. No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I first saw these at a woodworking in California about 8-9 years ago and bought a set that included three
grits. I was first attracted by the way they sanded endgrain. Using the coarse grit you can sand a 1/4”
radius on the end of a 2×4 in about 30 seconds. They are incredible. They work best on the edges of
wood but can also be used on flat surfaces.

They have a sanding surface made of tungsten carbide and will almost last you a lifetime. After 8-9 years the
center of my fine grit one is clogged beyond repair. The medium and coarse grit are still going strong.

They each come with a brass brush for cleaning them, and it stores in the handle which also fits perfectly
in your hand.

Since then, they have been bought put by Midwest Products which is basically a wooden model company
and not into woodworking or furniture, so you don’t see them advertised to us.

I bought another set, not only to replace the fine grit one, but to have another meduim and coarse grit ones
laying around so I don’t have too far to go to reach one. I use them on every project I make.

The set of three inculding shipping costs less than $26, but will last you years!
The best price I have found is from here:

You can’t go wrong with these and I would VERY highly recommend them.

View RobS's profile

RobS

Hmm, I’ll have to check them out. I swear by those foam sanding blocks, always keeping them handy, these seem to be a few steps above.. Thanks!

-- Rob (A) Waxahachie,TX

View Bob #2's profile

Bob #2

Thnks for that Gary. It these secrets that take a lot of the pain out of woodworking.

Bob

-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner

View CharlieM1958's profile

CharlieM1958

Thanks, Gary. For such a small amount of money and your glowing recommendation, I will definitely order a set of these.

-- Charlie M. "Woodworking - patience = firewood"

View Tim Pursell's profile

Tim Pursell

This is a perfect example of why I love this site. I bought & tried a simmilar product for use on a ROS. They tore up the wood so bad, skipped around, clogged up and generaly were a total waste of $’s. I swore I’d never try the carbide “sandpaper” ever again. Gary is well respected here & if he says they work then I’ll have to give them a try. Thanks.

-- http://www.etsy.com/shop/tpursell?ref=si_shop

View Grumpy's profile

Grumpy

19393 posts in 2484 days

I like the idea Gary. Can you add a photo of an opened one?.

-- Grumpy - "Always look on the bright side of life"- Monty Python

GaryK

Good idea Grumpy. I should have thought of that.

View cajunpen's profile

cajunpen

Good review Gary. It is so refreshing to hear about a product that is low in cost AND work well – the fact that it will last almost indefinitely is frosting on the cake. Good review and thanks for sharing your bounty.

-- Bill - "Suit yourself and let the rest be pleased." http://www.cajunpen.com/

View Blake's profile

Blake

Interesting. Never heard of them. I would like to try these.

-- Happy woodworking! http://www.openarmsphotography.com

View Lee A. Jesberger's profile

Lee A. Jesberger

Hey Gary;

How do you plug em in?

Lee

View grovemadman's profile

grovemadman

Thanks Gary, I’ll check ‘em out.

-- --Chuck

GaryK

Lee – I guess I forget to mention that the power cord was inside, huh?

View Tomcat1066's profile

Tomcat1066

Great review Gary. I’ll definitely have to pick up a set!

-- "Give me your poor tools, your tired steel, your huddled masses of rust." Yep, I ripped off the Statue of Liberty. That's how I roll!

View sharad's profile

sharad

Nice review.
Sharad

-- “If someone feels that they had never made a mistake in their life, then it means they have never tried a new thing in their life”.-Albert Einstein

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

Thanks for the review Gary.

View Alin Dobra's profile

Alin Dobra

Gary,

Do you have any idea how they compare with a Shinto rasp? I just got one and I really like it.

Alin