Great Quality Razor Blade Scraper

Review by dfdye posted 02-10-2010 09:29 PM 3423 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great Quality Razor Blade Scraper No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Why the heck am I writing a review of a razor blade scraper? Well, because I have destroyed about a dozen of them in my time and finally found one that has been great to work with. When I finally find a cheap tool that works, I have to share!

I got this as an impulse buy for $2.00 while in the check out line at Harbor Freight, and have never looked back. I am sure that everybody on this forum has a million uses for single edged razor blades, and, if you are anything like me, you have tried all of the cheap plastic and aluminum retractable scrapers. I have destroyed every one of them that I have ever used up until now. Typically, the retraction mechanism on these cheap scrapers has broken and the blade won’t stay extended.

The difference between this scraper and all of the others that I have tried is that this is a fixed handle that does not retract. This scraper handle is sturdy, and since it doesn’t retract, there isn’t that weak point to break. I can put some real pressure behind the blade, but the handle doesn’t flex and the rubberized grip feels quite solid.

There are a couple of very minor gripes—one is obviously that this scraper is not retractable, and if you want to hide the blade you have to un-screw the blade clamp and flip the blade back into the body of the handle which takes a little more time than the “cheap” varieties. The handle is also a little thin, so if you are really pressing down on it, the handle can dig into your hand a little bit.

Despite these minor gripes, I can’t tell you how fantastic it has been to have a razor blade scraper that actually works!

-- David from Indiana --

View dfdye's profile

dfdye

#1 posted 02-10-2010 10:32 PM

thanks for the review. HF has some good things.

View davidroberts's profile

davidroberts

#2 posted 02-11-2010 03:11 AM

a relative gives me nick nacks from HF as Christmas presents. This was included in the box. I just used it to scrape 30 years of crud off a cast iron bandsaw table. worked great. thanks for the review.

question: where do they sell the razor blades? walmarts?

View dfdye's profile

dfdye

#3 posted 02-11-2010 05:22 AM

Look in the painting supplies section of your local big box store. I am sure Wall Mart would have them, but I get mine from Lowe’s, Menards, or whatever other hardware store I am at. If you can’t find them, just ask. They are very common! Most places carry 100 packs for ~$5—a pretty good deal IMHO.

-- David from Indiana --

#4 posted 02-11-2010 09:06 PM

Hf sales the blades

View davidroberts's profile

davidroberts

#5 posted 02-12-2010 01:17 AM

hey thanks. I never think to look when I’m at the borgs.

#6 posted 02-12-2010 04:50 AM

Harbor Freight also sells the blades and has them at SALE prices quite often : )