Oshlun 8" stacked dado review

Review by cliffton posted 02-10-2010 03:05 AM 8031 views 0 times favorited 26 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Oshlun 8" stacked dado review Oshlun 8" stacked dado review Oshlun 8" stacked dado review Click the pictures to enlarge them

Let me preface this review with the only other dado i have used was a very old sears “wobble” dado that i used once and refused to put back on my saw. I bought this last week as rockler had it on sale for 59$ and all the reviews I saw of the 6” set said it was a good buy. Its a stacked set with full blade chippers which i like better than the wing chippers. I used it on a scrap piece of pine and had no tear out and flat bottoms. The cutter blades are made so that they put a groove along each edge to help tear out and glue up. overall i would say this is an excellent buy at a good price.

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

#1 posted 02-10-2010 03:17 AM

I just picked up a set from Amazon. It sure has a lot more carbide than my DeWalt DW7670 Dado set.
Although when I measured each blade, none of them seem to be 100%. Despite that, all the reviews give it 4- 5 stars.

-- Router รจ ancora il mio nome.

#2 posted 02-10-2010 03:22 AM

I nought the 6” set last fall and I am really pleased with it. Considered the 8” but the 6” was $20 cheaper at the time and goes more than deep enough for anything I’m working on. For the price it can’t be beat, compared to $150+ for others I checked out.

View Kristoffer's profile

Kristoffer

671 posts in 1941 days

#3 posted 02-10-2010 03:32 AM

Thanks for the review. Sounds like you got a great deal to. I used a dado set for the first time a few days ago and enjoyed the heck out of the experience (which is a good thing, because the project I was working on had 42 dados and 8 rabbets).
Is there a upside to full blade chippers over the wings or is it just a preference?

-- Cheers and God Bless

#4 posted 02-10-2010 03:47 AM

thanks for the review

#5 posted 02-10-2010 04:46 AM

Two things that i think make full blade chippers better are that they can have more teeth and to me it would seem like they would not be as prone to vibration. though this is completely without research into it, and i have been wrong before.

View KayBee's profile (online now)

KayBee

1016 posts in 1971 days

#6 posted 02-10-2010 08:02 AM

I picked one up from Rockler while they where on sale. Used it on both ply and solid already. I was really surprised by the quality of the cut. No tear out on the plywood at all.

-- Karen - a little bit of stupid goes a long way

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

#7 posted 02-10-2010 08:50 AM

Thanks for the review I have been considering a set of these.

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

View lou's profile

lou

#8 posted 02-10-2010 01:42 PM

great set.and that price means i need to got one.

View Robert Herring's profile

Robert Herring

#9 posted 02-10-2010 03:46 PM

Toolcity.com has them for $51.99. Anyone had dealings with them?

-- Robert M. Herring

View 8iowa's profile

8iowa

#10 posted 02-10-2010 04:04 PM

My saw falls under the “underpowered” classification, so I purchased Oshlun’s 6” set to gain more cutting torque at the teeth of the blades. The set comes with metal spacers of different thicknesses making it possible to fine tune the dado’s thickness to match the thickness of your wood. this is especially important when using plywood.

It’s really great to see a reasonably priced high quality accessory that is made in the USA. Oshlun deserves our support.

-- "Heaven is North of the Bridge"

View SouthpawCA's profile

SouthpawCA

254 posts in 1958 days

#11 posted 02-10-2010 06:28 PM

BEWARE!!! I also purchased the Oshlun 8” Dado. My impression was a bit different. I did like and expected the tight fit on the arbor. When started it up it ran very smooth. But that’s about where the love story ended. I initially cut a 9/16” dado to see how it ran with multiple chippers and the 2 saws. Everything worked well – it cut like butter, but when I looked at the bottom – IT WAS NOT FLAT. The 1/16” dado left a groove. OK, I figured I had it set up wrong in some way. I rearranged the blades but had the same results. Then I checked each of the blades individually on a piece of oak. First just using the 2 saw blades alone and then each individual chipper blade sandwiched between the 2 saw blades. I found the 1/16”, the 3/32”, and one of the 1/8” chippers left a groove on the bottom. This one is going back to Rockler and I’m going to get the Freud that I wanted to get in the first place.

-- Don

View Jim Bertelson's profile

Jim Bertelson

#12 posted 02-10-2010 06:31 PM

I have this product, and have not used it much, but it seems to work very well. The 6 inch product reviewed well here also.

-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska

#13 posted 02-10-2010 07:24 PM

wow southpaw, that is odd that your chippers were so far out of spec, that is definitely a return! see what rockler will do for you, they have been nothing but helpful to me.

I apologize I miss labeled my review this is the OSHLUN SDS-0842 set, I don’t know what the heck i was thinking.

I have never dealt with toolcity.

I went with the 8” for three reasons over the 6”

1: I use a sled so i lose about 1/2” of cut capacity.
2: It was cheaper than the 6”
3: I have a 1.5 HP R4511 and was always taught that “underpowered” meant the direct drive benchtop type of saws

I went out and tested it cutting a 2 inch dado in a stack of Jatoba and it didnt even flinch.

#14 posted 02-10-2010 07:55 PM

Southpaw, You got a bad one alright, but don’t let it burn you on the Oshlun. That’s really wierd that they were so far out.That’s the first time I’ve heard of that happening with these. My 6” sets works great.

#15 posted 02-10-2010 07:55 PM