Wow what a saw!

Review by Bert304 posted 02-09-2010 12:29 AM 5796 views 2 times favorited 31 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Wow what a saw! Wow what a saw! Wow what a saw! Click the pictures to enlarge them

This was my first purchase from Grizzly Industrial. So far I have no complaints. I ordered the bandsaw on Friday and picked it up at the terminal this morning. The box only had to small damages to the cardboard, only on the outer layer of cardboard. I opened the box and everything was packed very nicely and tightly in styrofoam. I had to tilt the box on its edge to get the bandsaw out, I could not lift it out. I unpacked everything and inspected all the parts and the bolts and nuts. All parts were there and the bolts and nuts and washers were in small bags. The only thing I did not care for was the fence parts were in a carboard box in the bottom of the bigger box. The manual was clear and all parts fit nicely. I took my time and I had it together in about 3 hours. I do not rush putting machines together. I did callGrizzly and spoke to Tech support about how to adjust the blade because I never did it before and did not want to break anything, Took all of 3 minutes. I cleaned the table and applied T-9 to it. I made all the adjustments and readjusted the bearing rollers several times. I installed the fence and rails. I adjusted the fence to the blade and the table. I made a couple cuts on scrap wood and it cut nice. So far seems like a good investment. I will report more in a few weeks when I use it more.

View Bert304's profile

Bert304

112087 posts in 2231 days

#1 posted 02-09-2010 12:31 AM

Congarts on the new saw.

View PineInTheAsh's profile

What was the investment?

View sphere's profile

sphere

#3 posted 02-09-2010 12:35 AM

Mmmmm. I love the smell of cosmoline in the morning.

Good score.

-- Spheramid Enterprises Architectural Wood Works

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

#4 posted 02-09-2010 12:53 AM

Nice review..I will be interested to see how it performs down the road. I am thinking of picking up a bandsaw next, and I have been taking a hard look at this and the Rikon 14” deluxe model. So far with the exception of one person that got a bad unit, I haven’t read any bad reviews on this saw!

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

View Bert304's profile

Bert304

#5 posted 02-09-2010 12:53 AM

PineInTheAsh: The investment was the money I spent and the time reading all the reviews and figureing out what brand and model of bandsaw to buy

View blackcherry's profile

blackcherry

#6 posted 02-09-2010 01:12 AM

Congrat’s on your new BS…this one was one of my finalist as well and I finally chose the G0457 from Grizzly. I’m sure you will be very satisfied with the purchase, stay safe…BC

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

#8 posted 02-09-2010 02:00 AM

Big congratulations.

You’re going to love that saw!

-- -- Neil

View SteveinDC's profile

SteveinDC

#9 posted 02-09-2010 02:02 AM

I’ve been using the same saw for a few months and find it a joy to use most of the time. For some blades I find that I have to let the tensioning screw out a long, long way, but it still works fine. Be sure to set the guides properly for every blade and you should find this a pretty accurate saw. This is not a top of the line saw, but we knew that when we looked at the price, right? In general I have been really very happy with it on a big variety of blades and cuts. Good enough for my garage workshop! Hope it brings you many years of good fun.

View ellen35's profile

ellen35

2570 posts in 2086 days

#10 posted 02-09-2010 02:12 AM

I too have been using this saw for about 9 mos… I LOVE it!

-- "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." Voltaire

View Eric_S's profile

Eric_S

#11 posted 02-09-2010 02:30 AM

Excellent saw!! I use it all the time.

-- - Eric Indianapolis, IN

-- Chip -----------http://www.penmanchip.com-----------------Micah 6:8

View dmorgantx's profile

dmorgantx

#13 posted 02-09-2010 03:23 AM

Congrats on the new saw!

Thanks very much for taking the time to post this. I too and tetering on the edge of buying a new BS but am paralyzed in indecision. Of course this looks to be a great saw by most all accounts. Like “Brad Nailer” I’ve been looking at the Rikon along with the other Griz saws. The Rikon I’ve seen just enough negative reviews to be scared (see the video on Youtube with the wabbly wheels…).

I couldn’t put the money together for the G0457 while it was on sale around Christmas and now I don’t think I can with all of the discounts gone (used to be $795 and free shipping- now with shipping it would be around $1150). I’m very disappointed but eagerly awaiting the next round of specials. :(

So in all likelyhood I’ll end up with one of these too :)

Did you per chance get the riser kit? If so- did you have an trouble installing?

Thanks again!

View jasony's profile

jasony

#14 posted 02-09-2010 03:34 AM

Have that saw and love it. Stick a Timberline blade on it and it’s like buttah. Buttah, I tell ya.

View CanalboatJim's profile

CanalboatJim

#15 posted 02-09-2010 03:49 AM

Bert, I bought the same saw last winter and I love it. I had a terrible time attaching the four bolts that hold the saw to the base. I could only get one hand inside the base , so I kept dropping the washers and nuts. After several tries I remembered some rare earth magnetize had. I put a magnet on the head of the bolt magnetizing the whole thing. The washers were then attracted to the bolt, so I didn’t have to hold them. After that I had it together in five minutes. My wife suggested I submit the idea to a magazine tip column. I did and they printed it and sent me a check for $150. I LOVE THIS SAW!

-- Jim Westbrooks