Affordable powerful hammer drill

Review by SchotterWoodworking posted 02-08-2010 03:14 AM 2488 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Affordable powerful hammer drill No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is my first review for this website so forgive me if I don’t quite come up to par (any constructive advice would be appreciated). This was my first hammer drill purchase. I’ve used a Bosch Bulldog and a Milwaukee hammer drill, which are both very impressive tools, but a little too much for me. I didn’t buy this drill for drilling block walls all day long. This is a great hammer drill to keep for DIY home improvement. I put a wire wheel in the chuck and stripped paint off my concrete shop walls as a surface prep for new paint and it ate that crap off like a champ. I used the hammer action setting up some shelves mounted to my concrete walls in my shop. I’ve never drilled into concrete before, but I bought some Bosch Blue Granite bits and drilled hard with the PC and had no problems at all. I decided to drop a hole saw in this drill and it powered through boards like they were butter. . If you’re building concrete structures on a regular basis, go for the bigger badder SDS and rotary drills, but if you want a cheap hammer drill to keep at home for the every other week home improvement chore, go for the Porter Cable, it’s a great, versatile hammer drill. I picked it up for about $70.00 at Lowes and haven’t regretted it.

View SchotterWoodworking's profile

SchotterWoodworking

View Lenny's profile

Lenny

#1 posted 02-08-2010 03:44 AM

Great review Schotter. Nice job. I have been saving a few bucks each pay day towards a cordless hammer drill/impact driver combo set. This might make me consider buying the drill and driver separately. If I am going to use a hammer drill, it is probably going to be in my basement not the woodworking shop. At most it might be used outdoors on the foundaton or steps. Either way, electricity is nearby. Thanks again.

-- On the eighth day God was back in His woodworking shop! Lenny, East Providence, RI

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

#2 posted 02-08-2010 03:53 AM

I’m a big fan of cordless tools and own quite a few. It’s just so convenient to not have to deal with cords. However, my hammer drill is corded. A good hammer drill needs to be heavy and powerful. My hammer drill happens to be a Black and Decker but since B&D owns Porter-Cable it is quite likely that the only difference between my drill and this one is cosmetic. I’m very happy with mine both as a hammer drill and as a very powerful regular drill. 18 volt cordless drills are powerful but they still can’t compete with good solid corded drills.

View SchotterWoodworking's profile

SchotterWoodworking

#3 posted 02-08-2010 03:54 AM

It’s a good corded drill, the hammer function is able to be shut off completely and it can be used as a regular drill/driver.

#4 posted 02-08-2010 03:58 AM