an article and my review on the forbes top 10 most dangerous tools

Review by BOB67CAM posted 02-07-2010 09:57 AM 4058 views 0 times favorited 30 comments Add to Favorites Watch
an article and my review on the forbes top 10 most dangerous tools No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

The Ten Most Dangerous Power Tools

Forbes magazine recently published a list of some of the most dangerous power tools on the market. While we definitely are power tool advocates, we also want to promote safety on our site. These tools are not toys, and users must understand the potential harm they can do if not used properly! do not aim at what you do not plan to kill

POWER NAILERS: They make short work of framing, but power nailers also send 37,000 people a year to emergency rooms according to a CDC study covering 2001-2005, with 40% of injuries suffered by consumers. More importantly,do to their growing popularity, the number would be much higher if the survey were done today.

CHAIN SAWS: They account for about 39,000 emergency room visits per year. chainsaws must be getting too cheap?..lol

TABLE SAWS: Table saws account for about 29,000 emergency room visits per year. i wont tell my wife about this 1…lol

SNOW BLOWERS: Come winter, these tools put 5,700 patients a year into the ER, with 600 finger amputations, and 19 deaths since 1992. the auger altho looking like a nice warm cave to sleep, isnt

CIRCULAR SAWS: ERs see 10,600 patients a year thanks to these common tools. how many people really use theyre leg for the backstop when cutting a 2×4?...too many i guess..lol

RIDING LAWNMOWERS: An average 37,000 people a year end up in the hospital (with 95 deaths) thanks to these ubiquitous suburban vehicles. ok NEVER forget to turn the blade off on the mower before u stand in front of it running in gear…c,mon people!

POWER DRILLS: Compared to chain saws and snowblowers, drills seem downright friendly, yet they put 5,800 people a year in the ER. do not use yer hand as a backstop when drilling wood

BACKHOES: These hydraulic monsters are now available to any handyman with the money to rent one, but be wary. Even the pros aren’t immune from disaster. Backhoes kill an average 38 construction workers a year. NEVER have an angry driver running 1 of these

AIR COMPRESSORS: You’d think the tool at the other end of the hose posed the only danger, but compressors cause 2,400 injuries a year. i love my air compressor too, but make sure the power is off before you hug them every night

WOOD CHIPPERS: Only 3 per year on average die using these tools. But their size and power mean it doesn’t take much for the worst to happen. Please be careful! well only 3 aint so bad right?..lol, and NO its not a slide!

Question – What do most of these peole have in common? They didn’t put safety first. Remember even though power tools are fun, they are not toys. So, in conclusion, please realize that power tools can be a great help in getting jobs done well and efficiently, but they are to be well respected with regards to potential danger if not used with knowledge and care!

p.s. heres alink to the article http://professional-power-tool-guide.com/2010/01/ten-dangerous-power-tools/

and p.s.s ALWAYS YSE COMMON SENSE! be careful guys n gals

View Psych0tic_bug's profile

Psych0tic_bug

#1 posted 02-07-2010 10:15 AM

WOOD CHIPPERS: Yeah I’m sure it was just and Accident ;) all 3 times…

View Lenny's profile

Lenny

#2 posted 02-07-2010 11:56 AM

Thanks for the post. We can never be to safety conscious and your post is a great reminder. BTW, I enjoyed your sense of humor too!

-- On the eighth day God was back in His woodworking shop! Lenny, East Providence, RI

#3 posted 02-07-2010 11:58 AM

lol thanx lenny!, i was figuring the 1st post would be more like i lost my bro to a chipper….. or something so you did ease my fears a bit ;)

View Enthalpy's profile

Enthalpy

#4 posted 02-07-2010 01:11 PM

I think Jimmy Hoffa was one of the 3 to die in a wood chipper

View JimDaddyO's profile

JimDaddyO

#5 posted 02-07-2010 02:40 PM

I don’t have a wood chipper or a back hoe, but they are on the list of things to get…lol. My opinion of the wood chipper deaths, the first was an accident, the other 2 were getting rid of the witnesses.

-- I still have all my fingers

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

#6 posted 02-07-2010 03:59 PM

This is interesting. I would opine that emergency room visits per hour of use would be a more significant measure but it would be much harder to calculate. For example, snow blowers and lawn mowers are probably on the list because there are so many more of them in existence.

While I love to turn wood, I think the lathe is one of the more dangerous tools in the shop (especially when used by someone who does not know what they are doing). The lathe didn’t make the list because for every hour of turning that takes place in this country there is probably 1000 or more hours spent mowing lawns.

In my shop I consider the lathe, the table saw and the jointer as the 3 most dangerous tools and I treat them with the caution and respect they deserve. However, I have nicked myself on the router, the drill press and a hand saw. You shouldn’t take anything for granted.

View tooldad's profile

Thanks for info.

View Peter Oxley's profile

Peter Oxley

#9 posted 02-07-2010 05:38 PM

I’d be interested to know how people are injured by their air compressor! Explosions due to rust-out are pretty rare, and you’d have to happen to be near it when it exploded. I suppose you could have your hand on the belt when the motor kicks on (if you have the guards off). The only other thing I can think of would be removing a coupler while there is pressure in the tank and having the coupler thrown at you. Anyone have any other ideas how air compressors could be hurting that many people?

-- http://www.peteroxley.com -- http://north40studios.etsy.com --

View Peter Oxley's profile

Peter Oxley

#10 posted 02-07-2010 05:39 PM

Darn – just realized I forgot to turn my compressor off last night!

-- http://www.peteroxley.com -- http://north40studios.etsy.com --

-- Ike, Big Daddies Woodshop, http://www.icombadaniels@yahoo.com

View Dennisgrosen's profile

Dennisgrosen

#12 posted 02-07-2010 07:33 PM

I still don´t get it peter my compressor is on around the clock and so is most of them
in europe i think
it most be the airdriven tool in the other end , in ER they just write compressor for all of it
and not the tool it self if they did that the list wuold loke different I think

Dennis

#13 posted 02-07-2010 07:59 PM

mine doesnt even have a switch, i gotta yank the 240 plug out of the wall to shut it down
but im thinking dennis is right, i cant see any feaseable way that many people can stick hands into belts and such

View woodprof's profile

woodprof

#14 posted 02-07-2010 09:04 PM

It would be interesting to know the breakdown for each tool in terms of how many emergency rooms visits for each tool were due to problems with the tool (something breaking, poor design, etc.) and how many were due to “operator error” (i.e. carelessness or downright stupidity).

I know which cause I’d place my money on!

#15 posted 02-07-2010 10:37 PM

that would be a good idea, the only prob is the doctor would only hear from the patient and hes seldom going to say “i was a moron”, instead hell say something like “the drill bit exploded for absolutely no reason”