Exaktor EXOA-2 Table Saw Overarm Dust Collector

Review by Padre posted 1635 days ago 7546 views 0 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Exaktor EXOA-2 Table Saw Overarm Dust Collector Exaktor EXOA-2 Table Saw Overarm Dust Collector Exaktor EXOA-2 Table Saw Overarm Dust Collector Click the pictures to enlarge them

Finally ordered this and it came today. Here are my observations after putting it together.

1. The package came and was adequately packaged. The outside of the box was damaged, but all the interior items were fine.

2. All the parts were present and accounted for.

3. The directions stink. It gives you some pictures, but mostly you use a trial and error method of putting this together. It took me about 3 hours to put this together, a project that now that I know what to do should have taken no more than an hour.

4. Note of interest: the side ‘boom’ attaches to the saw with a backplate. If your saw does not have a lip on the side made out of wood you will need to manufacture one, as I did. I have a Sawstop extension table that is 3/4” with no drop on the side. This tool assumes you have a drop on the side of your saw to drill through to attach the side plate which holds the main boom in place. In the third picture you can just make out the piece of plywood I had to screw onto my extension table to attach the boom. (it is about 1/2 way down on the black boom)

5. Turned on the cyclone and it works as advertised. My one complaint so far is that it is a very stiff system, but hopefully after repeated use it will get better.

And please excuse the pictures, they were taken with my cell phone.

It is a well made item, the paint is good and has no blemishes. All the parts fit together and there was no need to resize or make-do. I gave it 4 stars because of the directions and the boom attachment.

View bigike's profile

bigike

what was the price on this?

-- Ike, Big Daddies Woodshop, http://www.icombadaniels@yahoo.com

112000 posts in 2178 days

thanks Chip

Ike,
It was $420 from Amazon, free shipping.

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

Great review. Thanks.

Stupid question: I see you’re running a ZCI. Me, too.

My dust, then, seems to come off the top of the table, like—I’m guessing—yours was.

Have you, or others, tried drilling small holes IN the ZCI (my brother’s suggestion. He DOES come up with some good, creative ideas!), to allow it to suck more dust downward, toward the DC??

I’d like to avoid going the Exaktor/Excalibur/Shop-made route … if I could get 75% of the job done … without.

Guess I could buy a spare insert, and find out … for about ten bucks ;-)

-- -- Neil

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

Good review. I’ve been thinking about one of these for a while. Penn State Industries sells one for about $160. I’m sure it is not as good as this one, but it is a lot cheaper and I can ceiling mount it – which appeals to me.

930 posts in 2090 days

Neil, yes, I have tried that a few times, and my dust still comes off the top of the blade and covers me and the table. That’s why I got this system, and it works!

JJohnston

I just got and installed the Penn State guard, ceiling mounted. It looks like it’s built exactly the same as the Exactor, except for the hood part – it doesn’t have the steel along the edges. Otherwise, it’s so similar, the first picture could be the PS model if the boom were red.

I was initially going to floor mount it, on the left side of the saw (mounting it on the right, the turnbuckles would have interfered with the motor cover on my saw). I made a trapezoidal base plate for the mast and turnbuckles, and thought I would set an 80 lb concrete block on it. It took up too much room, and the inspiration hit me to just upend the whole thing, base plate and all (not the 80 lb block). I haven’t had it very long, so I don’t know how it’s going to work out.

-- "Sorry I'm late. Somebody tampered with my brakes." "You should have been early, then."

930 posts in 2090 days

JJ: Pictures dude! We need pictures! :)

930 posts in 2090 days

Hey Barry, you going to the NE get together?

930 posts in 2090 days

Cool. Did you cut the tube? What is that wood joint?

JJohnston

The Penn State unit comes with a short boom specifically for ceiling mounting. The wood isn’t a joint – it serves as a place to attach the turnbuckles, and as a clamp to take the weight off the setscrew in the side of the vertical tube that holds the height adjustment. It’s just 2 scraps of 2×4, about 3” wide and 6” long, with a tube-diameter hole bandsawed out of the middle. The bolts that hold the turnbuckles go all the way through to provide the clamping action.

JJohnston

I think the PS is actually 2 1/4” at the hood. I had to bush the connection with a scrap of thin-wall pipe to fit the 2 1/2” flex duct. You can see the white in the picture.

View G_Bishop's profile

G_Bishop

I was just looking at this today. Little to pricey for me right now though.

-- ---- Jack of all Trades, Master of None ----