Micro Jig SteelPro Splitter - for 1/8" Kerf Blades

Review by PetVet posted 02-02-2010 05:41 PM 4507 views 3 times favorited 17 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Micro Jig SteelPro Splitter - for 1/8" Kerf Blades No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

You can purchase this product from Incra for about $35. I was interested in getting a splitter that I would use, as my rip guard/splitter was a pain to install every time I wanted to rip something.
It comes as a kit, with an installation jig, and several splitters of various widths. The instruction sheet was fairly easy to follow. You need a couple pieces of 1/2 inch stock, one for the jig to attach to, and one as a test piece. They have you drill the holes in your saw insert with the provided drill bit. I found it easy enough to do, and very precise.
The splitters are plastic over a stainless steel splitter. They are marked with from one + to +++. The idea being that you can increase the width on the side that you need it. In my case, I use the ++ on the fence side. This makes it very easy to tune to your particular saw. It helps hold the stock firmly against the fence, and helps eliminate burn marks.
The holes are tight, and you need to use a screwdriver to remove them, but I find I use them all the time now. They also include a second set of splitters that install behind the main one. This splitter will be pinched in the cut should the workpiece start to rise up, thus preventing kickback.
Pretty ingenious setup, and more flexibility than with a homemade splitter. I would recommend this to anyone that finds they are ripping without a splitter or guard.

-- Rich in Richmond -- Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

View araldite's profile

araldite

187 posts in 2060 days

#1 posted 02-02-2010 06:04 PM

Very interesting. Their original splitters were a simple but ingenious design, and now it looks like they’ve figured out to take this several steps further.

View lew's profile

lew

#2 posted 02-02-2010 06:08 PM

Thanks, Rich. I’ve been playing around trying to make one of my own. Like you, the OEM splitter on my was is a pain to use. I’ll give these a closer look.

Lew

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View Raspar's profile

Raspar

#3 posted 02-02-2010 06:59 PM

Great review, I need to take a look at these.

-- Have thy tools ready. God will find thee work.

View mklose7's profile

mklose7

#4 posted 02-02-2010 07:49 PM

Just a heads up. You can get these a little cheaper over at peachtree woodworking. Just got mine in last week, plus a couple UHMW ZCI’s. They are no speed demons with shipping tho.

mike

-- If it doesnt fit............get a bigger hammer!

View TungOilTim's profile

TungOilTim

#5 posted 02-02-2010 08:18 PM

Thanks for the review. I’ve been looking at something like this, the “splitter” on the Ridgid saws just aren’t user-friendly.

-- Tim, Plant City FL

View map's profile

map

#6 posted 02-03-2010 12:36 AM

I’ve used these for about 3 years now. Unless I plan on doing an extended ripping session, I use them and find that they do a great job. For someone clumsy like me, however, the little pins on the bottom don’t last forever and you have to replace them.

map

-- measure once, cut once, swear, start over

View Gary's profile

Thanks for the review Rich

View woodspirits's profile

woodspirits

#9 posted 02-03-2010 07:36 AM

I received mine a week ago but have not gotten around to installing them yet. Would they help in ripping a quantity of 8’ planks of 8/4 white oak or are they only good for thinner wood?

-- Jerry

#10 posted 02-03-2010 01:54 PM

Jerry – I would think they would, but would definitely use the second set as insurance. That is going to be a chore to rip that amount of 8/4 oak, what are you building, an ark?

View DannyBoy's profile

DannyBoy

#11 posted 02-03-2010 04:32 PM

That’s a pretty cool product. My TS doesn’t even have a hood much less a riving knife. Something like this would be a good safety addition for me.

Thanks for the review!

~DB

-- He said wood...http://hickbyassociation.blogspot.com/

View woodspirits's profile

woodspirits

#12 posted 02-04-2010 06:15 AM

Rich – I have about 1200 bf of kiln dried white oak that I would like to mill into molding for my house. I usually rip bigger stuff with the band saw but I figured the table saw would require less jointing. I bought my Jet tablesaw about 15 years ago and never got along with the blade guard and splitter that came with it. Thus I have used the saw “naked” ever since

I am hoping that the micro-jig splitter and a pair of GRRippers will make ripping these planks a reasonable chore and give my bandsaw a breather.

-- Jerry

View SDVike's profile

SDVike

#13 posted 02-04-2010 07:04 PM

Ok, since I have never used a splitter before I need someone to fill me in on its purpose. Is it a safety device or is it used to make cleaner cuts?

View PhineasWhipsnake's profile

PhineasWhipsnake

#14 posted 02-05-2010 04:19 AM

I’ve been using the plastic version of this for a few years now, and think they’re a good idea. Since I finallly broke the legs off my last one the other day, the steel version looks like just what I need. BTW, Lee Valley is selling the set for $29 right now.

-- Gene T

#15 posted 02-05-2010 02:05 PM

SDVike – actually they do both. A splitter sits behind the saw blade and keeps the saw cut from closing and pinching the blade which can result in kickback. The other advantage is that it keeps the board firmly against the fence, so you get a more accurate cut and less burning of the wood. Newer, better saws have a riving knife that adjusts up and down with the height of the blade. On most older saws there is a rip attachment that has a splitter, anti-kickback pawls and a blade guard. A good combination, but since they have to be bolted onto the saw, it becomes a pain to use them. This is a good compromise.