26" Of Awesome

Review by Dustin posted 01-29-2010 05:31 PM 3949 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
26" Of Awesome 26" Of Awesome 26" Of Awesome Click the pictures to enlarge them

It’s big, it’s heavy, but it is possible to move it. Just don’t try taking it out of your truck and pulling it into your shop like I did. It’s very dangerous!
I had to take off my door to fit into my shop lol. Good times!
Anyway, so it weighs a lot and it’s big so your going to need casters to put it on if you want to move it at all.
This sander is very powerful with it’s 5hp motor. I can take off quite a bit of material in one pass using 80 and 120 grit on the drums. I bought this unit used so it’s already two years old and everything still works fine. I use it for cabinet doors and I don’t think I’d rather have a different sander.
Because it does not oscillate you will have lines on it. Honestly though, what sander doesn’t? I’ve used widebelt sanders and they do too. You have to hit it with a random orbital when your down anyway to go through the grits.
Something funny to think about though, this sander can take off more material in a pass than my DW734 planer and it’s not nearly as loud.

You must have a decent dust collection system or this sander will kill you. You’ll need 1000+cfm. The first thing my dust collector is attached to is this sander and it still doesn’t get a lot of the dust.

The way I set it up it does have a full capacity of 26” but from what people tell me the grizzly version only has 23 1/2”, just so you know.

Would I rather go with a 24” widebelt sander? No, because I’d rather save 5k and get this.

View Greg..the Cajun Wood Artist's profile

Greg..the Cajun Wood Artist

5261 posts in 2055 days

#1 posted 01-29-2010 06:19 PM

You will really appreciate your drum sander.
I bought a Jet 22-44 drum sander several months ago and I use it much more than I thought I would. I recently sanded a desktop I am building that is 37- 1/2” wide and 84” long. It took a lot of fine tuning on the sander to make the drum perfectly parallel to the conveyor. Sanded it starting with 80 grit, then 120 and finally with 220 grit paper. It cut down my sanding time tremendously. However, I still went over the top with my ROS afterwards.That was the largest piece I have run through it. I had to use outfeed and infeed rollers plus a friend to help. Mostly use it on much smaller pieces.

-- Each step of every Wood Art project I design and build is considered my masterpieceā€¦ because I want the finished product to reflect the quality and creativeness of my work

#2 posted 01-29-2010 06:35 PM

I think in the world of wide belt sanders drum sanders are underestimated! Before I talked to a few people that owned a drum I thought I was going to HAVE to buy a wide belt to handle what I needed for cabinet production but no! This one actually handles material removal better than many wide belts I’ve used. I just have to hit it with a ROS afterward. Saves me so much time. I was thinking about getting an open end but I can’t use up time making sure everything is parallel. I just got to go. Plus I needed the 5hp because I do a ton of sanding, not just a few boards now and then.

View SPalm's profile

SPalm

#3 posted 01-30-2010 01:49 AM

Wow. I can only image what that puppy could remove.
That sucker is big.

Congrats,
Steve

-- -- I'm no rocket surgeon

View PineInTheAsh's profile

PineInTheAsh

401 posts in 2014 days

#4 posted 01-30-2010 03:46 AM

By any measure, an impressive piece of gear.
Good review, Dustin, our genuine thanks.

Going forward, to be more relevant to all members, all reviews should always include the MSRP or the LJ’s purchase cost. It would simply present a clearer picture.

Thanks,
Peter

View ToddTurner's profile

ToddTurner

144 posts in 2069 days

#5 posted 01-30-2010 03:49 AM

Im with you Dustin! I bought a used Grizzly 24in a month ago and I dont think I will ever part with it! It has given my planer a rest. Noisy-not a lot. Powerful-hell yeah! you have to be careful though, it will burn the belt off and at 1750 rpm, an 8ft belt flopping around isnt pretty. I had to offload mine by myself too-from my truck which has a 6in lift kit. It slid down my ramp and landed on its feet! Scared the crap outta me! Wide belt sander? Nah. I will spend that money on rough material for my dual drum sander! I can relate to every single thing you wrote about on your sander. Enjoy, I know i sure have. And you talk about a dust monster?! You wouldnt believe till you see it. But I take mine outside because i dont have dust collection.
Todd

#6 posted 01-30-2010 03:51 AM

I have the same model Dustin Its a big powerful machine.congrats on your new sander enjoy.

View deeman's profile

deeman

#7 posted 01-30-2010 06:41 PM

I wish you were my neighbor. Good luck

-- Dennis Trenton Ohio And life is worth the living just because He lives!

View SPW's profile

SPW

#8 posted 07-22-2014 03:25 AM

Hey Dustin, how about an update on the drum sander? How big of a deal do you think it is that this sander has 5hp where as most others have 3hp?

#9 posted 07-22-2014 06:38 AM

Well, I do cabinet working, where in my opinion 5 hp is the bare minimum in order to handle harder than average woods like hickory and maple. I prefer a double drum to a single head wide belt with the same hp rating.

In order to grow my little cabinet business I would need a far stronger, far wider sander and I think this next time it will end up being a double head wide belt.

This is not a bad unit, but it has a few maintenance issues. I have to keep a good eye on the front and back rollers to make sure they are aligned. On mine the bushings are wearing them out so they might need to be replaced. One of the rollers had a rod break loose so I need to weld it back in place.

I’m not a huge fan of Taiwan and China made machinery when used for a production shop, but it’s where we all seem to start.

In the perspective of a hobbyist, this machine is by far more than you’ll need. I’ll probably run more lumber though it in a month than most will in the time they own their machine. It is strong, and may just replace your planer in most situations. You may do fine with a 3hp unit, but I would personally just it annoyed with anything less than a 5hp.